16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Ammunition & Reloading  ~  Hunting loads and pressure
jschultz
PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2016 8:47 am  Reply with quote

The thread re AyA and heavy loads got me thinking.
As many of you know, I shoot a 16 Ga. #2 AyA, almost to the excision of my other shotguns.

My hunting payloads are 3/4, 7/8, 1, and 1 1/8 ounce. I doubt if I shoot the 1 1/8 oz. load more than 3 times a season because it is a 2nd barrel pheasant back up load with #5 1/2 NP shot. The load has approximately the same pellet count as an ounce of #6's and provides more down range energy.
Max SAMI pressure for a 16 Ga. is 11500 PSI. My lighter loads are under 7k PSI and the 1 1/8 oz. load is 9620 PSI. My thinking is that reloads are not harming the AyA.

What ejecta and pressures do you shoot?
eng-pointer
PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2016 9:51 am  Reply with quote

It is a topic of interest to me (obviously since I started the AYA #2 thread). I try to keep pressures for my modern sxs under 10,000 psi and velocities under 1300 fps. I generally try to keep velocity ~ 1250 fps for all my loads because even though it likely makes little difference in POI, it keeps my mild OCD in check.

For loads for my older sxs I try to keep pressure under 8000 psi and again velocity of ~ 1200 fps. I really love a 3/4 oz PB load in a 2 1/2" cheddite hull. I wish I had stocked up on PB but still have 5# so I am good for a while. I do also load a 1 oz load at 8000 psi and 1200 fps for hunting with the older guns but I don't shoot a lot of them.

For my god awful ugly, camo 12 ga autoloader that I use duck and goose hunting I just buy factory steel shells as I don't care to load steel and would rather limit my shooting to 30-35 yds than spend the money for other non tox. I really don't care if I shoot many ducks or geese, I just enjoy the ritual of waterfowl hunting. Nothing like a Chessie, a cold morning and sitting in a blind with a buddy or 2 shooting the s**t as much as shooting a duck.

Is it October yet?

James

"My degree of optimism is negotiated daily" Bill Snyder, Former Head Football Coach, Kansas State University