16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Guns  ~  This season's shotgun lineup
Robert E. Lee
PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 3:29 pm  Reply with quote

I'm the third owner of my 1900. My father bought it from a cousin in the 30's, who had bought it new (1905 mfg.). I've debated restoring it, but it would be changed. As it is it has no doller value to speak of. The bluing is just a hint and the checkering is visable because of the staining in the bottom of the grooves. If you run your hand over the checkering it is almost smooth. At least the barrels are on face, but there are pits inside the bore in the area of the forend tip. It probably isn't a good candidate for restoration, but to me it's priceless as it is. Bob.
Beagleman
PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 3:37 pm  Reply with quote

Fin, does your 5100 have the birddog on left side of receiver? I may have asked this before in a different thread, but memory fails. Mine does, not that it matters.

canvasback
PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 3:42 pm  Reply with quote

Robert E. Lee wrote:
I'm the third owner of my 1900. My father bought it from a cousin in the 30's, who had bought it new (1905 mfg.). I've debated restoring it, but it would be changed. As it is it has no doller value to speak of. The bluing is just a hint and the checkering is visable because of the staining in the bottom of the grooves. If you run your hand over the checkering it is almost smooth. At least the barrels are on face, but there are pits inside the bore in the area of the forend tip. It probably isn't a good candidate for restoration, but to me it's priceless as it is. Bob.

Bob, that's a great bit of history you have on the 1900! Something very cool about having them in the family like that. I hope when the time comes, you have a family member to pass it to who will value it and it's history as you do.

1925 Ferlach 29" 6 lbs 7 oz
1923 Greifelt 29" 6 lbs 1 oz
1928 Simson 29.5" 6 lbs
1893 Lindner Daly FW 28” 5 lb 11oz
Robert E. Lee
PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 5:01 pm  Reply with quote

Thanks, until about 3yrs. ago I was questioning where they would end up. Then my son at the age of 24, with a wife and 3 kids decided he needed to grow up. Better jobs are pretty much a thing of the past around here. He is now a M.P. at Fort Hood, Texas. So much more mature than he was at induction 18 months ago. My grandfathers 16ga. Nitro Special will go with it. Bob.
fin2feather
PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 5:47 pm  Reply with quote

Beagleman wrote:
Fin, does your 5100 have the birddog on left side of receiver? I may have asked this before in a different thread, but memory fails. Mine does, not that it matters.

Nope; mine is stamped Springfield; no bird dog.

I feel a warm spot in my heart when I meet a man whiling away an afternoon...and stopping to chat with him, hear the sleek lines of his double gun whisper "Sixteen." - Gene Hill, Shotgunner's Notebook
grousepointer16
PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 6:41 pm  Reply with quote

Canvasback. I have always started my season with my Winchester 101 12 ga harvesting geese the first Tuesday in Sept. Then in the last 3 years I have added my Rizzini 28ga knocking down doves after two days of geese. Then I grab my West German JP Sauer Royal (Weatherby) 20ga for the Sept 15 northern Ontario grouse opener. Sept 20 I am back in my own territory for the grouse opener central Ontario with my Thalmann 125 16ga.
Oct 1st I start to get serious about grousing and will generally carry a sxs of German origin either my Thalmann 16 or my Simson 12 or my Merkel 12.
In November this year I plan on carrying a few of my neglected Italian doubles, Beretta 409 silverhawk, Zoli sideplate O/U and Beretta BL3.
When my wife and I take a week break from birds to lay in some venison I carry my FAIR combi deluxe 12ga / 30-06.
In JAN I always finish the season with my BRNO ZP 49 sidelock 12. Heck, perhaps my lottery ticket will come in and I will finally get the Winchester 21 I covet.

canvasback
PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 7:04 pm  Reply with quote

Grousepointer, sounds like a plan! Wouldn't mind having a look at some of those German guns some day.

BTW, I'll be driving past your place on Sunday. My son is up on Parry Island this week and I'm picking him up next Sunday and heading farther north for a week.

1928 Simson 29.5" 6 lbs
Ted Schefelbein
PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 8:23 pm  Reply with quote

Dave,
There were two Darnes at the 16 gauge shoot, my 20 that came for the ride, and another 16 that a guy was just crushing the back half of the course with. I showed him how to get his gun apart.
"Covered", might be the understatement of the year. There is a first year Winchester model 1912 20 gauge, a 1957 vintage Ithaca 37 16 gauge, a Remington model 17 with two barrels, A first year Benelli Super Black Eagle, an Italian "Companion" folding 12 single shot, 2 Mossberg 500s in 12, at least one other single shot, and probably a few others I've forgotten about.
If I'm not using a gun, it isn't because it is an expensive gun (the V19 would sell for a bit of money, but, that is the only one I own that would, everything else is user grade) it is because I don't shoot it all that well, or it is less gun than I think I need for the conditions. Shotshell performance falls off around 10 degrees, and the switch to the 12s happens for me before that.
I have guns I don't shoot that well that aren't for sale because they came from someone who was special to me. I try to exercise them a bit, but, I keep them for the memories, more than anything else.
I have almost no use for a Benelli SBE. But, it was my Dad's, and he loved it. I thought about selling it, but, haven't been able to.
Maybe my kid will like it. Who knows?

Best,
Ted

MaximumSmoke
PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 8:03 pm  Reply with quote

The vast majority of the pictures presented in this thread are so nicely done. I seem to be unable to take photos that nice. It probably ought to be another thread, but do you fellows have any suggestions on making good photos of guns. I'm sure you must have better ideas on lighting. Certainly some of the photos in this thread have been skillfully composed, too. Anyway, thanks for the photos, and any light you can shed on your techniques.
canvasback
PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2016 4:09 am  Reply with quote

MS, I am literally terrible at taking photos. No imagination and no technique. So back in the day of real film, it was waaaayyyyy too expensive for me to get anything worth looking at.

However in the digital age, that can be overcome! I just take so many pictures, sheer random chance suggests some will be useable. For every one I keep, I discard 20. Seriously.

Beyond that, take the pics outside on a cloudy day. Look at photographs that others have taken, in magazines, books and on line, you think you like (for angle of the shot and the part of the gun being photographed) and try to replicate that. Copy shamelessly.

Like with car photography, every single great picture of guns has already been taken. So make it easy on yourself, because there is no inventing/creativity to be done. COPY THE SHOT!

1928 Simson 29.5" 6 lbs
Ted Schefelbein
PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2016 6:18 am  Reply with quote

My pictures here are lousy. My only consideration was getting all the guns in the photo, so I didn't have a bunch of pictures to manipulate digitally to get up on the board, so people could see what I'm talking about. Shooting pictures of a group of guns is totally reference only. People here aren't art critics, they just want an idea of what you are talking about.
Shooting just one is easier:

[URL=http://www.jpgbox.com/page/50825_600x400/] [/URL]

I love guns with 100% case color, but, I will be spending time this fall wearing them off of this handsome Richland, built by Prandelli and Gasperini. I love hunting more, than 100% case colors, I guess.

Newspaper pictures are lousy, too. But it is still better to have a picture to help with the story than to not have one.
Use a camera, not a phone. Light is your friend, mostly. Every picture I ever sold to a magazine (not many, mostly pictures of French guns for articles I, or someone else, wrote) came out of a lowly Canon TX. I suppose you could still do that, and specify a high rez disc come back with your prints, but, few do, I imagine.

Best,
Ted

grousepointer16
PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2016 7:30 am  Reply with quote

I have registered with imageshack to upload my pictures but how do I get them from imageshack into my post?

grousepointer16
PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2016 7:47 am  Reply with quote

URL:http//imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/150x100q90/921/RXf3Hy.jpg

Last edited by grousepointer16 on Tue Aug 02, 2016 4:59 pm; edited 1 time in total

grousepointer16
PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2016 7:47 am  Reply with quote

that did not work

skeettx
PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2016 10:33 am  Reply with quote

What I did was copy most of your string and put a [img] on the front,

It looks like this I HAVE REMOVED THE FIRST [ so it will show up here

img]http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/150x100q90/921/RXf3Hy.jpg[/IMG]

Last edited by skeettx on Wed Jul 27, 2016 10:39 am; edited 2 times in total