16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Ammunition & Reloading  ~  !6 ga 7/8 oz wad
Ohio Wirehair
PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2016 10:01 pm  Reply with quote

Which do you prefer Claybuster or DownRange? Getting ready to place a order. They would be used in Remington and Federal hulls.
AmericanMeet
PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2016 11:05 pm  Reply with quote

I'm not sure which models you are considering. For loads less than 1 oz (3/4 or 7/ Cool I use the DR16. For 1 to 1 1/8 oz I use the Claybuster (WAA16 clone). I understand that Claybuster has a model designed for lighter loads but I have no experience with it.
AmericanMeet
PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2016 11:08 pm  Reply with quote

Not sure what the smiley face is about; either 8 gets is.
fn16ga
PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2016 3:09 am  Reply with quote

7/8oz Federal hull DR16 , 7/8oz Remington hull CB-0078 . Neither wad works really good for that purpose in both hulls.
JNW
PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2016 5:11 am  Reply with quote

Give fn16ga a cigar! His is THE correct answer. Yes, you can stuff other components in these hulls and the shells will go bang, but Fed/DR and Rem/CB is what works well for 7/8 oz loads. Let us know what you do.
Regards,
Jeff
kennedy756
PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2016 5:14 am  Reply with quote

fn16ga wrote:
7/8oz Federal hull DR16 , 7/8oz Remington hull CB-0078 . Neither wad works really good for that purpose in both hulls.

agree

16ga Browning A-5 1929
16ga Marlin 90 1939
16ga browning citori lightning grade 3 2003
16ga Francisque Darne 1920
Ohio Wirehair
PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2016 6:29 am  Reply with quote

Going to order the DR wads. Federal seems a little tricker for 7/8 oz. loads I've got about 1500 Claybuster 1 oz. wads that work fine with the Remington hulls with a Cheerio added.(A little trick I learned here thank you) The 16 is new to me in the last 6 months. And I've returned to reloading after a 30 plus year absence. Gonna be full of questions so please be patient with this old man.
Robert E. Lee
PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2016 6:46 am  Reply with quote

If you live near Massilon, Dawson Enterprises have the dr16 in stock. I picked up a bag Tues. They have the cb0100 but not the cb0078. Bob.
Square Load
PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2016 7:26 pm  Reply with quote

fn16ga wrote:

Also agree.

Current 16ga. Stable

Browning Citori Gr I
Browning Belgium Sweet 16
A.H. Fox Sterlingworth
Remington 11-48
Remington 31
Remington 870
Geco/J.P. Sauer BLNE
Winchester Mod 12
16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2016 9:14 am  Reply with quote

Several of us here have found that although the 16 ga. CB clone wads are a tad small in diameter for use in Federal and Cheddite hulls, they will work fairly well if we use them to our best advantage. Try using the CB 7/8 ounce wads for 1 ounce loads and the CB 1 ounce wads for 1-1/8 ounce loads. The DR16 wads can be used for either 7/8 ounce or 1 ounce loads in either hull depending on how bulky the selected powder charges are.

It is best to avoid using ball powders to eliminate powder migration, and check weigh your powder charges to make sure your selected powder bushing is not throwing light charges. Go up in bushing size to find one that throws very close to but not over the recommended charge for your load. Also adjust your press to firmly seat the CB wad on the powder charge and to form a nice tight firm crimp.

Of course, filler wads placed in the shot cup under the shot are always an option as well. Any light weight filler wad placed in the shot cup under the shot will not significantly effect internal or external ballistics. Using them for 3/4 ounce or lighter loads in these roomier hulls puts more arrows in our quivers so to speak.

Store bought or hand cut wads make no difference as long as we select a 28 ga or 50 cal diameter wad of a suitable thickness and material which will firmly support the shot charge and will not disintegrate upon firing the load. Nitro card wads, felt wads, stacked tag board wads, and wads cut from stiff foam material work very well here. Hope my input helps you out. Good luck.
Wired
PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2016 8:05 am  Reply with quote

16gaugeguy wrote:
Several of us here have found that although the 16 ga. CB clone wads are a tad small in diameter for use in Federal and Cheddite hulls, they will work fairly well if we use them to our best advantage. Try using the CB 7/8 ounce wads for 1 ounce loads and the CB 1 ounce wads for 1-1/8 ounce loads. The DR16 wads can be used for either 7/8 ounce or 1 ounce loads in either hull depending on how bulky the selected powder charges are.

It is best to avoid using ball powders to eliminate powder migration, and check weigh your powder charges to make sure your selected powder bushing is not throwing light charges. Go up in bushing size to find one that throws very close to but not over the recommended charge for your load. Also adjust your press to firmly seat the CB wad on the powder charge and to form a nice tight firm crimp.

Of course, filler wads placed in the shot cup under the shot are always an option as well. Any light weight filler wad placed in the shot cup under the shot will not significantly effect internal or external ballistics. Using them for 3/4 ounce or lighter loads in these roomier hulls puts more arrows in our quivers so to speak.

Store bought or hand cut wads make no difference as long as we select a 28 ga or 50 cal diameter wad of a suitable thickness and material which will firmly support the shot charge and will not disintegrate upon firing the load. Nitro card wads, felt wads, stacked tag board wads, and wads cut from stiff foam material work very well here. Hope my input helps you out. Good luck.

This is my concern with using Cheerios.
16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2016 1:23 pm  Reply with quote

Mine too Wired--especially if I'd be loading them for hunting ammo or would be storing the loads for later use. I doubt a few cheerios placed on top of the shot for non-critical recreational loads used within a short time span would mess me up much. I tend to use up my worn out hulls for my non-critical fun loads, so the crimps aren't always the best.

Still, I like to know exactly what my loads will do, so I use .135" thick 28 gauge card wads placed in the shot cup under the shot. My 3/4 and 7/8 ounce loads have been smashing targets and cleanly killing smaller game birds for many years now, so Ill stick with what I know works every time.
Wired
PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2016 3:18 pm  Reply with quote

16gaugeguy wrote:
Mine too Wired--especially if I'd be loading them for hunting ammo or would be storing the loads for later use. I doubt a few cheerios placed on top of the shot for non-critical recreational loads used within a short time span would mess me up much. I tend to use up my worn out hulls for my non-critical fun loads, so the crimps aren't always the best.

Still, I like to know exactly what my loads will do, so I use .135" thick 28 gauge card wads placed in the shot cup under the shot. My 3/4 and 7/8 ounce loads have been smashing targets and cleanly killing smaller game birds for many years now, so Ill stick with what I know works every time.

I've tried a few cheerios, but I think my crimp pressure crushed them. I looked into cardboard wads, but it seems they cost about as much as a plastic wad. Better off to just buy the correct plastic wad to begin with - if they're available.

I'm still in the learning mode with regards to reloading shotgun - I have a ways to go Smile
John Singer
PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2016 3:37 pm  Reply with quote

DR16 wads are hard to come by where I live.

I have been loading 7/8 oz loads in several hulls using the CB 1-oz wads. I keep a container of pinto beans on the loading bench for fillers.

I have also used oatmeal. I find that Cheerios crush too easily.

JNW
PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2016 4:24 pm  Reply with quote

I believe DR16s are stocked in very, very few businesses across the country. Almost all of us buy them through the Internet and have them shipped. They are by far the most expensive wad I have ever used, but they do the job. If you load 7/8 oz of shot in a 2 9/16" or shorter straight wall hull you can use an SG16 (Gualandi) wad. The Gualandi wad is excellent and less expensive. I may end up cutting all of my Cheddite hulls down so I can use the Gualandi wads for 7/8 oz.
Regards,
Jeff