16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Ammunition & Reloading  ~  Searching for a 16g magnum steel load
Wired
PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2016 2:17 pm  Reply with quote

Is it possible to use the following components to build a 16g magnum load? I'm shooting a fixed choke, `70's vintage 1100. Any suggested component subs such as a different wad? Any/all input is appreciated.

BB steel shot
Red Dot, International, and Universal powders
SG16 wads
W209 primer
2 3/4" RGL hulls

Edited to add: I'll be pass shooting at geese and sandhill crane.
AmericanMeet
PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2016 3:26 pm  Reply with quote

Despite what Remington said about their barrels being suited for steel shot, I would not shoot BB steel in a standard (SG16) wad is a fixed choke gun. There's a reason Remington went to screw-in chokes.
skeettx
PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2016 4:20 pm  Reply with quote

YES and AMEN
If you need that much power and steel shot, move up in gauge.
Sorry, my opinion
BUT if you are hunting Sand Hills ONLY, you can use LEAD shot where I hunt in Texas Smile
Mike

Last edited by skeettx on Thu Aug 04, 2016 2:36 pm; edited 1 time in total
John Singer
PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2016 4:43 pm  Reply with quote

I use a 16 gauge with steel shot for waterfowl and pheasant hunting. I shoot load number 50204 from here: https://www.ballisticproducts.com/VP80%20data.pdf

I have loaded this with #4, #3, #2, and #! as well as B steel. That load with number 4 steel is great for teal size ducks. #3,2,1 steel are excellent for medium and large ducks. I have killed a few geese with #1 steel and B steel in that load. I have not found it to be as effective as my 12 gauge guns with geese.

I have no issues or regrets firing these loads through modified or more open chokes.

i have no idea how it is possible to get any more shot in a 16 gauge hull (safely).

Wired
PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2016 5:04 pm  Reply with quote

AmericanMeet wrote:
Despite what Remington said about their barrels being suited for steel shot, I would not shoot BB steel in a standard (SG16) wad is a fixed choke gun. There's a reason Remington went to screw-in chokes.

So what wad would you use?
John Singer
PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2016 6:35 pm  Reply with quote

Is SG16 not a lead shot wad?

Unless something has changed a great deal and you know something that the rest of us do not understand, you should never be loading steel shot, especially large steel shot in a lead shot wad. Also, there is no way that a magnum quantity (>7/8 oz) of steel will fit in that wad.

In addition, Red Dot, International, and Universal Powders are not powders that should be used with steel shot.

There are only two wads used with steel shot in the 16 gauge. One of them is in the link that I posted previously, VP80. The other is the CSD16. Both are available from Ballistic Products.

Wired
PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2016 7:48 pm  Reply with quote

John Singer wrote:
Is SG16 not a lead shot wad?

Unless something has changed a great deal and you know something that the rest of us do not understand, you should never be loading steel shot, especially large steel shot in a lead shot wad. Also, there is no way that a magnum quantity (>7/8 oz) of steel will fit in that wad.

In addition, Red Dot, International, and Universal Powders are not powders that should be used with steel shot.

There are only two wads used with steel shot in the 16 gauge. One of them is in the link that I posted previously, VP80. The other is the CSD16. Both are available from Ballistic Products.

Sorry, they're Remington SP16 wads, not SG16.

There is nothing written on the wad bag or the BP website that mentions lead use only - I never knew there was a difference.

I do have some Steel powder - I forgot about that. I don't have Fiocchi or Multi-whatever hulls or cheddite primers, as the BP recipes call for.

I didn't think BP load tables were very highly thought of around here - I've read some very disparaging remarks about them on this site.

On the notes of one of the BP recipes is written "Surprise". Not very encouraging, confidence building, or professional.
putz463
PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2016 1:31 am  Reply with quote

The SP16 is a lead wad as well, I think you'll be hard pressed to find a good useful steel load for them. Glad you have some Steel powder. I'm seconding what Skeettx shared. IMO, pass shooting the 2 largest game birds I know of will test the limits of a 16ga steel load. If compelled to shoot your 1100 I have surplus 16ga steel/non-ytox components, if you'd like a handful for load testing PM me w/address and I'll send some along.

What choke is in the 1100?

16GAwaterfowler
PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2016 4:25 am  Reply with quote

Use HW13 or Hevi shot, steel for pass shooting geese and sandhills in 16 ga, I'm not even crazy enough to try that.
Wired
PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2016 4:49 am  Reply with quote

Thank you all, I'll give it some more thought - especially the going up one gauge Smile
putz463
PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2016 1:54 am  Reply with quote

There's a 17ga out there? Very Happy

Or up two, my choice for that hunt would be 10ga 1.5oz BBB or T steel ~1550fps, Haven't hunted cranes YET but when hunting Geese in any situation with this load they drop DOA like sacks of cement.

Good hunting...

byrdog
PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2016 3:20 pm  Reply with quote

you mean 15ga, ? Using a wad that is not made for steel shot can ruin a shotgun barrel.

If you take Cranberries and stew them like applesauce they taste much more like Prunes than Rhubarb does ----G.M/
Wired
PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2016 1:29 pm  Reply with quote

Up a gauge, down a gauge - it's all the same Smile

Actually, skeetx got me confused when he posted "If you need that much power and steel shot, move up in gauge.".

It's all his fault Smile
skeettx
PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2016 2:35 pm  Reply with quote

Well I split the middle,
I use a pre-Type 1 12 gauge Browning Citori with fixed IC/Mod chokes
3" BBB steel shot loads
So I can shoot Geese or Sandhill or even the unlucky duck.
And sometimes collard doves will bomb our decoys, so I keep some #6 steel handy Smile
Mike

http://www.midwestgunworks.com/page/mgwi/CTGY/C-013-04