16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Ammunition & Reloading  ~  !6 ga 7/8 oz wad
16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2016 3:48 pm  Reply with quote

[quote="Wired"]...I looked into cardboard wads, but it seems they cost about as much as a plastic wad. Better off to just buy the correct plastic wad to begin with - if they're available."

You might try Circle Fly wads in PA. They will sell you 5K 28ga or 50 cal nitro card wads bulk packed and shipped direct very reasonably. In my experience, the price was reasonable enough that cutting my own or constantly searching for the perfect plastic wads for a certain load became a waste of time. You can find CF on the the I-net and give them a call. They are very easy to do business with and know quite a bit about wads.

If you think that 5K filler wads may be too much, then you might be mistaken--especially if you regularly load and shoot 3/4 ounce loads. They are addictive since they are so much fun to shoot. You can also join up w/ one of the other 16 ga folks right here and split an order.
Ohio Wirehair
PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2016 6:53 am  Reply with quote

Got my DR16 wads. Was loading RGL's with CB wads but couldn't help my self. I loaded a box of Federal's with W209 primer, 15.5 grains of Green Dot 7/8's oz of Magnum 6's and the DR16 wad. I use Mica Wad Slick on everything. I got a very nice crimp and all I can say is WOW! What a mild load to shoot,almost sub sonic I believe. They burned fairly clean and the recoil was between a 28 and a .410. I was shooting them out of a 37 Ithaca which is is a tad over 6 lb's. Side note they break clays very well at 35 yards. Oh, and why 6's, this gun patterns them better then any other size. It was a full that I opened up to imp/mod.
Ohio Wirehair
PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2016 7:01 am  Reply with quote

After thought, I noticed the petals on the DR16's are connected and after firing only one or sometimes 2 petals opened. Normal or caused by low velocities perhaps?
skeettx
PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2016 8:10 am  Reply with quote

Normal, no issue with either open or still attached
Mike