16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Ammunition & Reloading  ~  Is there ever a need for more than 1 oz. in the uplands?
zoli 16ga.
PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2016 2:23 pm  Reply with quote

I use 7/8ths oz. spreader loads in #5 bismuth for geese, puddle ducks and divers

7/8ths oz. #7 1/2 spreader loads for preserve phez, chucker and grouse. I've tried #6's but to much meat loss

Never shot at a wild phz....yet. I'd go with a potent 1 1/8th oz. #6 lead out of the zoli if I ever did...I guess(?)

16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2016 1:00 pm  Reply with quote

I agree 100% that good shooting trumps most all other considerations, but adequate penetration is also a very important consideration. Regardless of how good a shot we might be, how in hell do we hit 'em in the head when all they are showing us are tail feathers? It's not easy to pass on a shot like this when a nice rooster is flying flat, still inside 30 yards, and we are on it dead to rights. I know I can't. I'm gonna take the shot every time.

I know from experience that #6 shot or smaller won't always do it here, even inside of 30 yards if the bird is big enough. I've seen too many going away roosters well hit in the rump at 25 yards or so w/ a load of #6 try to off to parts unknown. My old Heidi dog was an excellent tracker and saved my bacon almost every time. But I also know that all too often, those #6 pellets just never reached the boiler room. The proof was in the still kicking bird she brought to me. This is where #5 or even #4 size pellets come into their own. More thump is better than not enough when it comes to clean kills.
UncleDanFan
PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2016 6:48 pm  Reply with quote

My first reaction is to say yes, if you are shooting 35 yds plus. However, after thinking through all of my hunts and the long shots I've connected on with my 16's (a couple 50-55yd shots on wild roosters come to mind), they were done with 1oz 6's at 1200-1300fps with mod or full chokes, dead in the air. Having a gun that is well regulated and shoots where it's pointed, followed by having a gun that fits, are the two most important things imo. As a person who has gone through a ton of guns trying to find those two qualities, that's easier said than done. Wink

The man's prayer from the Red Green Show: "I'm a man, but I can change, if I have to. I guess."
dwr353
PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2016 5:39 am  Reply with quote

We do not have wild pheasants in La so I have no opinion on them. I find for squirrels and rabbits that 1&1/8 hi brass 6's easily outperform 1 oz loads. I have killed a pile of doves with 1 oz 8's. Short answer, it depends.
dwr353
PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2016 5:42 am  Reply with quote

Edit to my last post: I missed "in the uplands"! Laughing
studdog
PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2016 4:38 am  Reply with quote

NO, i ounce should do it all IMHO

Charles Hammack
PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2016 8:49 am  Reply with quote

Yes Sir :

When the Armada from Japan is coming by land .

Other than that 13/16 is the max that will ever be needed , 5/8 & 3/4 takes care of 99% of the other needs .

Shoot at things you think you can kill , not things you think you can hit .

3/4 oz of # 9's at or better yet above 1400fps shooting .000-.010 choke , will make a fair shot look a whole lot better than an 1 1/8 of 4's - 6's , ask all the gents that have been snookered into trying them with me in the dakota's .

You folks have not seen all the bird pictures that I could post , and the folks that have come from not being able to hit 50% that now can hit in the 90%+ on game .

I cannot make you look good but I can make you shoot good . ( Ash Goodwin does this sound familiar ? )( one of the many that has come along in shooting )

Regards, Nick
16gaDavis
PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2016 6:59 pm  Reply with quote

I think you hit the magic number on the head Nick . My bar that I drop my 12's , 16's, and 20's is 360 grns ... My 28 is 9/16ths ... (the super mag 16 not withstanding !)... my new 28 is 13/16ths of hevi 12 @ 1400 fps - I'm liking this one !