16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Ammunition & Reloading  ~  Federal 7/8 oz load.
Ohio Wirehair
PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2016 11:43 pm  Reply with quote

I have slowly worked my way up to 18.2 grains of Green Dot 7/8 oz (379 grains) of 7 1/2 magnum shot, Winchester 209 primer and DR16 wad. Recoils pleasant, it seems clean. I'm kinda basing it on the Lyman recipe but staying on the light side. They call for 20 grains with a Federal 209A primer and SP16 wad with filler which is claimed 1320 fps. Guess I'm looking for input from the more experienced.Gimme the good the bad or the ugly. And why Green Dot,I'm working on 3/4 oz. 20 ga and 1 oz. 12 gauge loads so I can stock just one powder.
putz463
PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2016 1:12 am  Reply with quote

why guess, cut to the chase & send 3 to Tom

http://www.16ga.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=19134&highlight=armbrust

Fedex & an ORMD lable good to go...

https://www.google.com/search?q=ormd+lable&espv=2&biw=1600&bih=775&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjfpceJitfOAhUE7SYKHQfnBWIQ7AkIbQ#imgrc=_

fn16ga
PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2016 3:41 am  Reply with quote

Green dot is a great choice in the 16ga for 7/8oz , if it also works in the other loads you want , then all the better .

No need for testing if your reducing the powder charge and going to a lighter primer , it will be safe as long as your not getting squib loads .
hoashooter
PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2016 3:47 pm  Reply with quote

Although not currently published the old rule of thumb for GD in the 20 gauge was 14.0 grains was safe in any combo-3/4-7/8oz---going on this I use 12.0 in my 28 gauge STS hulls--all good to go
JNW
PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2016 8:33 pm  Reply with quote

I believe that Green Dot is no longer recommended for 7/8 oz 20 gauge loads in Rem and AA hulls as the pressures are too high. Still okay in Federal 20 gauge hulls as they are bigger and straight walled. GD makes an excellent 3/4 oz load in 20 gauge Rem and AA hulls.
Jeff
16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2016 7:58 am  Reply with quote

JNW wrote:
I believe that Green Dot is no longer recommended for 7/8 oz 20 gauge loads in Rem and AA hulls as the pressures are too high. Still okay in Federal 20 gauge hulls as they are bigger and straight walled. GD makes an excellent 3/4 oz load in 20 gauge Rem and AA hulls.
Jeff

Green Dot used to be the gold standard powder for 1200 FPS registered skeet loads in original WWAA compression formed hulls for decades. Newer lots of Green Dot are longer recommended for standard 1200 FPS skeet loads in those two compression formed hulls. I'm not up on the new style WWAA HS polyformed hulls. I've never loaded any, so I won't venture a guess here.

GD is perfectly safe for 1150 FPS loads. Reduce the old 1200 FPS data powder charge by 0.6 grains and enjoy. The slower loads are also more fun to shoot anyway. So are the 3/4 ounce loads IMO.