16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Ammunition & Reloading  ~  Oh-Oh!
tramroad28
PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2016 6:36 am  Reply with quote

fn16ga wrote:
Dave I assume you point the gun to the center of the paper. I like the plexiglass . Cut a 24" circle out in the center , even better

Yes..X12.
Been using a clear ring for years....it allows an easy look at the annular ring pellet count.
Center density is most always sufficient and, a bit overrated...working to move pellets into that ring is an advantage.
Handload fiddling will move pellets.
Micing pellets, next stop on the track.....even more fun.
double vision
PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2016 7:36 am  Reply with quote

The thought of drawing a 24" ring within this 30" circle did come to mind. I've got a white board protractor at school which would make it not so tricky.

I'm ready to kill some birds after all this fiddling!
AmericanMeet
PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2016 12:15 pm  Reply with quote

Seems like routing a groove with a 12" radius into that piece of plex-glass would be fairly easy: just leave an inch or so at the compass points to hold the inside together. then you could have two concentric circles for your pellet analysis.
Cold Iron
PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2016 1:52 pm  Reply with quote

I think the first time I saw the 30" plexiglass circle was back in the 70's in Field and Stream or Sports Afield. Never have done it like that but for what your doing Dave think it is perfect.

Back about 10 years ago started using Shotgun Insight the free on line version. http://www.shotgun-insight.com/ Dr. Jones says it doesn't work on any OS newer than XP however that is not true. I have it working on Windows 7,8 and 10.

You have to draw 30" lines on the X and Y axis of the target but then the program will center the shot for you. Then take a picture of the target and run it through the program, so you always have a digital library of patterns too.

I sent my Ithaca 37RVD to Briley and put in thinwalls. Selecting the 3 choke constrictions I went by the posts on here and went with .004 SK, .008 tight IC, and .012 LM from most of the accounts posted. One of the tubes in my FAIR that I shot Friday was .011 which is supposed to be close to a LM. But the second 50 we shot I used the 12 ga. with a .015 briley Ithaca plus tube and there is a huge difference in how hard those different constrictions hit. Both times I was using 7/8 oz. loads.

Been noticing that for awhile so at some point will have to take the day off and spend it shooting at paper. But for that type of work I will need to do 10 shots with each tube at 40 yards and let the program measure percentage. But that means counting pellets to begin with. Been waiting for 100 straight products to make more pellet counters they are out of stock

No matter how you do it patterning is a lot of work. But as you can testify is worth it.
wingshooter
PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2016 4:33 pm  Reply with quote

I didn't like the time it took to draw the circle, so I cut another piece of steel as a 30" diameter circle and superimposed (note: not superposed) it upon the first plate. White lithium grease gets wiped with the brush, after I take a pic if I want to save it.

No desire to save this pattern, and won't bore you with all the details, other than a new acquisition and checking point of impact to where i was looking and it's digestion of my 3/4 oz reloads. Pulled the shot left when I thought I saw Denise Richards off to my 9 o'clock.

30" circle works great for a quick assessment.

Mike

Manufrance Ideal 314:
Barrel set 1- (choke) .000 , .007 , chamber 70mm
Barrel set 2- .025 , .047 , 65mm
Barrel set 3- .005, .015
Manufrance Ideal No. 5:
Choke: .000, .010, 70mm chambers
double vision
PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2016 7:16 pm  Reply with quote

That works! Always wanted to try the old grease gong.
double vision
PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2016 4:42 am  Reply with quote

Cold Iron wrote:
I think the first time I saw the 30" plexiglass circle was back in the 70's in Field and Stream or Sports Afield. Never have done it like that but for what your doing Dave think it is perfect.

Back about 10 years ago started using Shotgun Insight the free on line version. http://www.shotgun-insight.com/ Dr. Jones says it doesn't work on any OS newer than XP however that is not true. I have it working on Windows 7,8 and 10.

You have to draw 30" lines on the X and Y axis of the target but then the program will center the shot for you. Then take a picture of the target and run it through the program, so you always have a digital library of patterns too.

I sent my Ithaca 37RVD to Briley and put in thinwalls. Selecting the 3 choke constrictions I went by the posts on here and went with .004 SK, .008 tight IC, and .012 LM from most of the accounts posted. One of the tubes in my FAIR that I shot Friday was .011 which is supposed to be close to a LM. But the second 50 we shot I used the 12 ga. with a .015 briley Ithaca plus tube and there is a huge difference in how hard those different constrictions hit. Both times I was using 7/8 oz. loads.

Been noticing that for awhile so at some point will have to take the day off and spend it shooting at paper. But for that type of work I will need to do 10 shots with each tube at 40 yards and let the program measure percentage. But that means counting pellets to begin with. Been waiting for 100 straight products to make more pellet counters they are out of stock

No matter how you do it patterning is a lot of work. But as you can testify is worth it.

Cold Iron, where did you get that shot counter? I want one!!
Cold Iron
PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2016 4:54 am  Reply with quote

Dave 100 Straight Products- http://www.100straight.com/products/index.htm It is the brain child of Neil Winston. However it will only do size 7.5 and smaller Sad
double vision
PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2016 5:12 am  Reply with quote

I wonder if 6's and 5's could be done with some gentle management and sit up like Chinese Checkers. Smile Not sure I want to spend $40+ to find out. Funny I never get that anal about my target loads, but I do put my upland loads through some serious scrutiny. Embarassed
Cold Iron
PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2016 6:02 am  Reply with quote

I totally understand that Dave! Work too hard, too few days a year, to get the few shots at game that we do these days. On the other hand once it is dialed in there goes that excuse when I miss Embarassed

Can't recall the name but years ago there was a trapshooter that set all types of world records. Someone talked him into patterning his shotgun. When he saw how thin his pattern was he couldn't hit squat with it anymore and ended up donating it to the ATA Hall of Fame. That 6" between the ears is a dangerous place..
double vision
PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2016 6:07 am  Reply with quote

Excellent point, Cold Iron. We did chat about this last Friday and agreed that back when we were younger and less sophisticated about all this our game bags were probably fuller. i need to find some better obsessions...
Cheyenne08
PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2016 7:29 am  Reply with quote

Dave Erickson wrote:
Excellent point, Cold Iron. We did chat about this last Friday and agreed that back when we were younger and less sophisticated about all this our game bags were probably fuller. i need to find some better obsessions...

Hee,Hee,Hee, remember you said it! Wink

Dale

...Andrew Jackson...
double vision
PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2016 7:36 am  Reply with quote

Dale, maybe you can make me one of those shot counters that will work with 5 and 6 shot. It'l give you something to do. Smile
Cheyenne08
PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2016 10:22 am  Reply with quote

Dave Erickson wrote:
Dale, maybe you can make me one of those shot counters that will work with 5 and 6 shot. It'l give you something to do. Smile

Dave, thanks for the kind offer, but I am pretty busy!

Dale

...Andrew Jackson...
tramroad28
PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2016 11:01 am  Reply with quote

I do wish that shooting was the operative problem in reduced game bags but, in all too many cases, it is not.
Shooting is, at most, a happy distraction from tougher issues.