16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Guns  ~  L.C. Smith project under way
WyoChukar
PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2016 2:24 pm  Reply with quote

Well, as if I didn't have enough to do last minute, the stock set for my L.C. Smith 16 arrived from Macon Gunstock recently. The forend wood has its second application of finish soaking in right now and inletting work on the buttstock has begun. I am a little concerned about the top tang though, things are slightly loose! Measuring with the caliper confirms that the fit may remain so even after inletting further back into the wood. The slight taper on the narrow portion of the tang will not be enough. I am not impressed!
A little decorative inlay work can allow a seamless fit, but I should not have to do so after spending $350 on a semi inlet stock. The forend barrel channels were also sloppy. So I am making lemonade here and things will eventually turn out okay in the end.
I can say that when I do the Fox, I am sending my own wood to a guy in Colorado at Heritage Walnut for duplicating service instead. I have a very nice piece set aside for that when the time comes.
On a positive note, this is the first time I have worked english walnut instead of black and its workability is a joy. I will get a pic or two up when I get other important chores taken care of.

WyoChukar
PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2016 2:33 pm  Reply with quote

Lengthening the forcing cones went very well this morning. Special thanks to the member who lent me his reamer! It cut nicely and was far more predictable and cooperative than the one I rented last year from 4D when I did the cone job on my Fox. That reamer was so aggressive it would not let go and come back out! I could have turned the 4D reamer backward to get it loose, but that ruins reamers. That was something I had never experienced before.
Anyway, this job went smoothly like it should and now the barrels have been altered to my liking for the gun's intended use. The chokes have also been reamed to I/C & I/M due to all of the chukar hunting I do. All that is left is stock work followed by pointing the gun at little feathered creatures.

skeettx
PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2016 3:47 pm  Reply with quote

AWESOME!!
Thanks for the progress report
Mike

Gordon Disharoon
PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2016 3:57 pm  Reply with quote

I've had very good with Wenig doing simii-inlet stocks before. They leave enough wood where I haven't encourented what you have. I've done three stocks from them and all were what I expected. It took me longer to get the forend fit than the butt stock on all three.

Just my two cents

Regards, Gordon

byrdog
PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2016 7:57 am  Reply with quote

Have you called Macon ? have them send you a new piece . They will make it right.

If you take Cranberries and stew them like applesauce they taste much more like Prunes than Rhubarb does ----G.M/
canvasback
PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2016 8:09 am  Reply with quote

Search Macon on the Doublegun forums. LOTS of dissatisfied customers.

I had to, as s resident of NA, step in and help a friend from France get a refund for product said to be in stock when ordered and paid for, but never shipped.....10 months after the order was placed. My own experience talking to them, and those of others i have read about, suggest those in charge at Macon are challenged both ethically and in the area of reasonable (I don't mean perfect) customer service.

When there are so many others doing the same service, I would never, ever order something from Macon.

YMMV.

1925 Ferlach 29" 6 lbs 7 oz
1923 Greifelt 29" 6 lbs 1 oz
1928 Simson 29.5" 6 lbs
1893 Lindner Daly FW 28” 5 lb 11oz
WyoChukar
PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2016 10:38 am  Reply with quote

Work is already well underway and I don't intend to start over. I waited over 4 months for what I did get and don't intend to wait that long for another that may be just as bad. Bird season is now and I intend to use the gun.

WyoChukar
PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2016 7:17 pm  Reply with quote

As promised, here are the first pics. I will note that the main finish is, as strange as it sounds, hand rubbed polyurethane. The checkering recieved a treatment of slow cure epoxy thinned with acetone.
There are two reasons for using epoxy in the checkering. First, it cures much harder and thus keeps the checkering sharp longer. Second, epoxy tends to darken the wood ever so slightly and increases contrast in the grain allowing the decorative pattern of fancy checkering to stand out just a little.
[img[URL=http://s616.photobucket.com/user/kingcanis/media/DSCF1438.jpg.html] [/URL]
[/img[URL=http://s616.photobucket.com/user/kingcanis/media/DSCF1437.jpg.html] [/URL]