16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  I need some help , thanks in advance.
Charles Hammack
PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2016 3:00 pm  Reply with quote

Those of you that know Sweet Little Ole Peach , know she is getting some age on her (she will be 11 this Nov. ) , with Cream passing away couple years ago .

I was going to hang it up ! But I am a wing shooter , so I am thinking about another Setter .

Now up front I have had GSP , Britney's , Pointers , and after having had Setters their simply is no other.

That said I do not want a dog. I want the dog. I do not want a kennel dog , I want a hunting dog from an individual family with hunting stock .

I want the dog to be a female , kind and papers I care not .

The puppy has to pick ME , not the other way around .

Just because I come to look at a pup doesn't mean I am coming home with a dog.

Can you help me find the dog for me?

Thanks everyone in advance.

Bill are you coming for the Pheasant opener on the Reservation ????

Regards. Nick

English , Irish , Lewellen , Gordon.
16gaDavis
PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2016 6:00 pm  Reply with quote

Nick , we were hoping this day would come ! Me and Mott have had a few talks about having a pup show up - kinda know what you are talking about though . Were hoping it would go this way . Have had these thoughts myself , but until the Beagle actually goes away , totally not a possibility . Don't know Setter camps around here . Shouldn't have to go this far anyway . Too few birds here . Mikey C is the birdiest dog guy I know , but he does Springers .... I've got a van , and it could be loaded in an hr for the trip . Of course I'll go , Moo can't keep me away . Probably be similar to last time - just can't do up hill well . Just need to know particulars and I'll be headed out ! (much as Peach is such a peach , know how you feel about that . My Britt was such an ass !she was gunshy when I got her and took a while to figure it out . She eventually figured out how to point far enough away so you couldn't shoot ! Would shy away , not to you with a collar . She was 16 when she went on her last hunt and I couldn't get her to stop . died shortly thereafter )

Ray-citori
PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2016 7:20 pm  Reply with quote

Guy in Cunningham KS has two litters of Lou's. I have no dog in this fight (pun intended Razz ) I posted on PDJ you might be looking, when I get his contact info I'll PM it to you if you're interested.
AmericanMeet
PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2016 8:43 pm  Reply with quote

I don't have a pup, I just wanted to post to let you know I fully understand The dog Picking You. a few years back we contacted a lady that raised Akitas. She had a 6 year old female that was retiring from the business, and the lady was giving the purebred to the person that The dog picked. Two other prospective owners had seen the dog and the dog was indifferent to them. I went in to the lady's house and after an interview to verify that our home was acceptable (not an apartment, had a large fenced back yard and no competing docs/ cats/ etc, the next test was to introduce "Josie" to me. It was love at first sight. We've been inseparable for nearly 6 years. If the dog is a hunter as well as a friend, so much the better; but first and foremost, the dog needs to be your friend.
byrdog
PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2016 7:23 am  Reply with quote

I like Setters because I like a dog you can reason with.

If you take Cranberries and stew them like applesauce they taste much more like Prunes than Rhubarb does ----G.M/
tramroad28
PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2016 7:48 am  Reply with quote

Yes, I can help.

Supply more information...on you, on what and how you hunt, on what you like to look at, on size and run you prefer, on cover, terrain and weather hunted, on which of the three basic english setters you previously preferred, etc., etc.
Female and papers does not get it...."kind" can matter.
"Papers", of course, can be important as to potential/depth of potential and should never, ever be dismissed out of hand....that comment may be some information on you, now that I think about it.

As to the puppy picking you...sounds good and I have picked pups because they looked me in the eye and, perhaps, we both saw something but....the idea is flawed in what it ignores.
Any pup deserves to have the new owner pick him or her!
Please consider more than what you wrote....for the pup's sake.
I have always found that any pup is THE pup......and any THE in the equation is determined best by Time, Triumphs and Struggles.

I presently am looking at a sleeping Gordon pup of 16 weeks-ish....While I am well pleased in all manner, I would not advise a Gordon blindly or an Old Hemlock or an english setter as is also sleeping out in the kennel or whatever breed.
More info is required....jmho.

Have fun with the search.
RZ
PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2016 1:09 pm  Reply with quote

http://www.carpentersenglishsetters.com/ in Central Missouri
This is where I got my setter- I hunt her, and won a couple of amature field trials with her (FritzxJulie litter).
Randy
4setters
PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2016 2:48 pm  Reply with quote

Carpenter's is where I picked up a replacement for my almost 14 year old back in March. Way too early to post glowing endorsements and pictures, but you may want to check him out as he is in central MO.

1955 Browning Auto-5 Mod
1940 Ithaca NID M/F
1959 Beretta Silver Hawk
Ranger 103-II M/F
Browning A-5 Sweet 16
Browning Citori Invector
Rem 870 Remchoke
JonP
PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2016 3:58 pm  Reply with quote

There are so many good English Setters out there...it really comes down to the style of dog. I would go to Curtis Fry. I have seen a couple of his dogs and they are hunting machines and completely versatile...great retrieving dogs and serious dogs in the field and water...closer working foot hunting dogs...a gentleman's gun dog..what i have always thought the ES should be

Curtis Fry New Brighton, PA 724 847 0257
Charles Hammack
PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2016 2:26 pm  Reply with quote

Thanks for all the info and help everyone , first off I am sorry for the slow turnaround , the net has been down and this is the first I have had an opportunity to get back on .

Hello Tamrod

First off , I hunt Sharptail , Pheasants , Huns's and when we can find one Quail.

Little ole Peach and I have shot way too many birds together to just have a dog , we move fast on Pheasants and stay with them until we are in birds on the Reservation , I do not mandate a rock solid dog on point , I want a dog to move with the Pheasant and place me in a position to make the shot at what I think I can kill not what I can hit .

Peach is a small female and full of it but is very obedient , she is a wonderful dead bird dog and an outstanding retriever .

I do not want a big dog , I do not want a Male , this is my personal thoughts on a dog after having so many dogs , the female wins every time for me .

I love a colored dog but a white dog gets the tip of the hat due to visibility .

I want a dog that will cast no further than 100 yards , this is my best range for the cover we hunt in SD & ND .

I want a winding dog not a trailer .

This little ole Peach giving Bill a dog kiss , as you can see this is the size of the dog I want , Cream was a quite a bit bigger than Peach .

Peach is also a wonderful water retriever .

I would love to have an Irishman that hunted but I will not hold my breath .

I know a small amount about a Gordon but sure do love the looks of that dog .

I have a weakness for a tri color dog love the black and white .

I know I have not answered all your questions , but this gives and idea to what I am used to , I will not settle for a dog that does not think that I am the only one .

Regards, Nick
Charles Hammack
PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2016 2:39 pm  Reply with quote

Which way will you folks bet on the bird or little Ole Peach ,

Regards , Nick

Peach knows when the gun comes up on wild birds where she is placing the bets .
tramroad28
PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2016 3:13 pm  Reply with quote

Ignoring the somewhat silly puppy-picking as that may work out given availability and location...I would look to CoverDog setter lines....CoverDog message board would be the source for availability.
Now, dem boys set store in mums and paps and all that but...for very good reasons.
Ignore paper as necessary but not what paper delivers...which is potential.
Those setters are often smaller than Llews or Duals and have traditionally been my favorites.
Individual kennels of a distance acceptable to you would be easy to find for the asking on that board.

I posted a photo of a Needlepoint dog of mine on the "dog lineup" thread.....sonny is about 41# in fitting trim and a female would often naturally run less.
My Rock who I lost two weeks ago @ 15+ was about 38# in trim....Rock was special.

However, I would also strongly consider a Fazenbaker red setter...the red setter board is on Facebook and would be the spot for puppy availability or, email Fazenbaker directly.
He is a helpful fella and easy to find.
Those red(I know you like white) dogs can be something special. Idea

Good luck.

Last edited by tramroad28 on Tue Aug 30, 2016 3:17 pm; edited 1 time in total
tramroad28
PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2016 3:16 pm  Reply with quote

Luckily, I have always found that my dogs believe me to be ...the one....I suspect that follows in most cases as dogs overlook the flaws we all possess.

Gordons do not have the depth as Coverdogs or the red dogs(Doc Boser is another contact) but as it is my first I offer the suggestions I did.
I do think the lad is something special....his pap was Voss' dog Buck.
16gaDavis
PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2016 3:36 pm  Reply with quote

wow - nice trip down memory lane Nick . Kiss from Peach and a sly kudos to the Pink Panther ! Not sure if that was a kiss or she just wanted to get back into action .... Just don't fall for runt of the litter - my Golden was the little guy and went 100 lbs when je grew up - not fat either !!

Cheesy
PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2016 8:12 pm  Reply with quote

Ray-citori wrote:
Guy in Cunningham KS has two litters of Lou's. I have no dog in this fight (pun intended Razz ) I posted on PDJ you might be looking, when I get his contact info I'll PM it to you if you're interested.

Troy Smith, his handle is Prairie Drifter on UPH. He is the propert manager of one of the Kansas game management areas. Devoted to quail habitat restoration. Always willing to answer questions.