16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Ammunition & Reloading  ~  Bair-Pacific powder bushings
saw557
PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2006 12:55 pm  Reply with quote

Wanted to try some loads with Longshot powder but didn't have the right powder bushing for my old Bair-pacific loader. Ended up using 22.5 grs Herco 1-1/8oz. #5 shot and Fed 209A primers. They guestion I have now is there a source for powder bushings for my Pacific loader? I looked on Graf & Sons and they have Hornady bushings are these interchangeable? I am going to make a phone call tomorrow. As a side note I used the above loading info with Fed. plastic hulls I wasn't real happy with the crimps used a thin over shot wad on some to experiment and crimped alot better.
Scott
16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2006 4:43 pm  Reply with quote

The Bair-Pacific bushings are the same as the Hornady bushings. The number on them is the diameter of the metering hole and hence, the volume. They are the same external size as PW powder bushings too, which are lettered and do not follow the Hornady bushing powder chart.

You can predict how much to go up or down the Hornady bushing chart by weighing charges in two different bushings of reasonably different volumes and then doing the math. Its easier and more accurate to predict the required bushing number and its volume than the try it and see method required by most other bushing size charts. You can also have a bushing reamed out to a specific size and be very certain it will throw the right amount of powder if your math is correct.

I had to do this to get my Hornady 366DL .410 press to throw the proper amount of 296 WW ball for my .410 reloads to perform right. The Hornady chart was off by several grains light, and I was getting too many squib loads at first. Hornady did not offer the right sized bushing for my needs. They were either too big or too small. I had the bushing rereamed to the several thousanths more my calculations predicted. I hit it exactly. Now it throws exactly the right amout plus or minus a tenth of a grain or less every time for a 1200 FPS skeet load. I've been through several 8 pound canisters of WW296 since rthen and a canister of H110 too. They all throw identically from that bushing and perform alike too.

There is also an adaptor insert available for using Mec powder bushings in a Hornady-Pacific press. Years ago, I had a buddy drill and ream out a Hornady bushing on his lathe to accept the smaller Mec bushings. This was well before I saw the same gizmo offered by any one of the reloading specialty houses at their usual over inflated price. all it cost me was a 1/2 a six pack of Pearl beer and a friendly hour shooting the breeze afterhours at his shop in North Kissimmee, Fl. Boy, its been more years than I realized come to think of it. Do they still brew Pearl beer?

Anyway, the Mec bushings will throw just a bit different in my Hornady 366 DL presses as my MEC Grabbers, but its not much. You can ignore it if the charge is under the top pressure limit. However, they will all throw light if you go by the MEC chart on either press.

Hornady bushing as as bad or worse than the MEC bushings in the matter of throwing a lighter than specified charge weight. You will need to check each with a powder scale to know just what is being thrown, and most likely will need to go to a bigger than called for one to get the required amount of powder. Its a liability avoidance issue. Just deal with it and your reloads will preform as designed, not as the corporate lawyers and the insurance companies want them to. Rolling Eyes
hoashooter
PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2006 5:07 pm  Reply with quote

Pearl beer---I remember it-----dang we are getting old Embarassed Embarassed
16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2006 6:05 pm  Reply with quote

Yup. Used to buy it at Albertson's. They trucked it in from somewhere in Texas over I-10 for distribution in Central Florida. It was a good beer to drink if you could get the stuff kept cold and if you could get it close to the brew date. If it sat for more than a week or if it was shipped unrefrigerated during hot monthes, it was not near as good. However, a real frosty cold one of anything was a joy after a Florida day at the shop in July I can tell you. Good ole Pearl and some fresh bug tails 'n drawn butter with a touch of garlic, that was Florida's best. Makes my chops water just thinkin bout it. Yeah boy!!
Buckeyechuck
PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2006 8:35 pm  Reply with quote

I too have a Bair Bobcat 16 ga. reloader. I had the same issue, so I purchased the conversion bushing from either precision reloading or BP for about $9. I now use MEC bushings and they fit tight as a wet leather glove. Hornady can furnish different shot bushings also. I've loaded over 200 rounds in just a few months.
I picked up my press on ebay, it was NIB and never used. I suspect it was 35-40 yrs. old and never used! It is doing a good job for me so far. The unit don't have a wad guide, that is the only drawback. Maybe someone can offer advice in this area?? Is a retro fit possible?
16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2006 5:51 am  Reply with quote

If you can, send a picture of your unit. Perhaps we can figure out a way to cobble one up for it.