16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Ammunition & Reloading  ~  RST shells question
den
PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2016 9:45 pm  Reply with quote

Are there any disadvantages to using RST shells in a modern shotgun? I just want a quality shell for hunting and like what they offer. I figure there could be a disadvantage with a lower pressure or shorter hull, even though the velocity is normal. Another question is how do they fit 1 ounce loads in a shorter shell? Also are there are off the shelf shells that have smooth hulls similar to AA or STS? thank you
AmericanMeet
PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2016 12:09 am  Reply with quote

The disadvantage to shooting a 2 1/2" shell in a 2 3/4" chamber is the same as shooting a 2 3/4" shell in a 3" chamber. I've read that doing so can cause a slightly less dense pattern because the shot at the edge of the shell can hit the front of the chamber on it's way into the forcing cone. while I have read this on a few occasions, I have never noticed it in any shooting that I have done- in this case it was shooting standard loads in a 3" chambered 20 ga. I think the possibility is more in the mind of the authors looking to write a magazine article than any sort of shooting evidence.

the 1 ounce fits because they squash the wad a little tighter.

I haven't bought any "store-bought" 16 ga shells in several years, so don't know if there are any smooth hulled ammunition sold presently.
putz463
PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2016 3:05 am  Reply with quote

I see no disadvantages shooting shells that are shorter in chambers made for longer. I use a cut down 2.4" (fired) hull for my 5/8oz short range summer target loads, was initially concerned with blow by from the hull plastic not sealing in the chamber as much as a 2.75" hull would & after a bunch of shells through a Merkel and Citori I see no evidence for concern. When I do my part the clays break.

Also shoot a 2.5" 10ga target load in 3.5" guns and as above see no ill effects using them.

Dont know how they fit 10lbs of...into a 5lb bucket, must be magic Very Happy guess, as AM suggested, they probably squish the wad down pretty tight.

fn16ga
PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2016 3:24 am  Reply with quote

There is no disadvantage shooting a 2 1/2" shell in a 2 3/4 ' chamber . Price could be a disadvantage when buying RST ammo as opposed to some factory ammo such as Herters from Cabelas but , RST quality is way better than most other factory shells.

Unfortunately , no hulls currently produced in 16ga that are similar to Win AA or Rem STS .

As far as fitting a 1oz load in the short hull , they use the right powder and wad combination .

Last edited by fn16ga on Wed Sep 07, 2016 6:17 am; edited 1 time in total
den
PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2016 4:20 am  Reply with quote

Thanks for the replies, I think ill pattern some shells and see what's best.
16gaDavis
PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2016 4:28 am  Reply with quote

what the boys said above . ALL my loads except for the Super Mag are short ... One of the few uses I have for Rem SP wads was that my original forte into short 16 loading was only a few wads . This being the one I had . Guessed 19 grns Unique , SP and an ounce - fit beautifully !! Still would use that load today , except for the avail of things like DR's . I load down like Putzie , and really don't have any bad loads . The seal is no worse than any other non tapered case lip ... RST's have been provided by MR CAMPBELL to whom I'm very thank full !! They get wide at the rim after a load or 2 - when I use them , I check them on the gun to use to make sure they cycle . (they are not full blown PURPLE , but may be close enough to activate his IRE !!)

wellshooter
PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2016 8:11 am  Reply with quote

My experience is that RST shoots a dense pattern and Herters is more ragged. As for the original question: You won't be able to tell the difference in short versus longer shells.

16 ga. Citori White Lightning
3- 16 ga. Remington M 31's
16 ga. Ithaca M 37 Featherlight
tramroad28
PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2016 8:26 am  Reply with quote

den wrote:
Are there any disadvantages to using RST shells in a modern shotgun? I just want a quality shell for hunting and like what they offer. I figure there could be a disadvantage with a lower pressure or shorter hull, even though the velocity is normal. Another question is how do they fit 1 ounce loads in a shorter shell? Also are there are off the shelf shells that have smooth hulls similar to AA or STS? thank you

Nope, none...other than you may end up looking cool when sliding home a couple of the 2 1/2"...some folks just do not like to look cool.

No disadvantages to low pressure other than operating some semi-autos or dirty semi-autos. Reasonable low pressures are swell and often pattern well.
As to the 1 ounce...I heard that RST employs an older woman with real small hands.....the work augments her social security, bless her heart.

I tink Kents are smooth hulls....the shot is shiny too. Exclamation
CitoriFeather16
PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2016 4:40 pm  Reply with quote

Just got a case of RST 2 1/2" "6 shot. 1,200 fps. 7,000 psi. Would not hesitate to shoot them in any 2 3/4" chambered gun. I sent them an e-mail yesterday asking how they got an ounce of shot in a 2 1/2" hull. I'm also sure it is a specific powder/wad combination. I somewhat doubt they will care to share that with me.

The hulls are purple but lighter than say the federal hulls.

Matt
fn16ga
PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2016 6:27 am  Reply with quote

Older clear hulls 1oz

rudolph31
PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2016 6:42 am  Reply with quote

A 2 9/16" roll crimped hull will hold just as much as a 2 3/4" hull that's fold crimped.
16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2016 1:37 pm  Reply with quote

Shooting short loads in longer chambers was a problem before the advent of one piece plastic wads. Solid card and/or fiber wad columns couldn't expand under pressure (obturate) and couldn't reliably seal the span between shorter hull mouths and the forcing cones of longer chambers. Gas blow by and the resulting loss of velocity and the upset of the shot columns were certainties to a greater or lesser degree.

In my experience, typically longer plastic one piece wad/shot columns span the breach, and the wad bases obturate enough to seal the hot gases behind them unless the span is excessively long (like firing a 2 inch load in a 3.5 inch chamber).

I've regularly fired 2-3/4 inch loads in 12 and 20 gauge, 3 inch chambers w/o any noticeable loss of velocity or pattern quality. Firing a 2 -1/2 inch 16 ga load w/ a one piece plastic wad in the standard 2-3/4 inch 16 gauge chamber should not pose any problems either. I'd say it's a non-issue today.