16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  two nice reviews of Browning sweet 16 at RandyWakeman.com
Dave In AZ
PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2016 9:50 pm  Reply with quote

For those interested, and for those who last week had such unflattering stuff to say about Randy's comments on the sweet16, part one, he has posted two additional reviews with very positive comments on the gun.
In part two, he gives a lot of praise.
In Compared: Benelli M2 20 Gauge Vs. Browning A5 Sweet Sixteen Part One, he also gives a lot of praise, especially considering that M2 20ga is his favorite pheasant gun.

For all the sour grapes badmouthing I read here about Randy Wakeman, and how quick some are to attack when they perceive him make negative 16ga comments, I'm surprised no one has pointed out these very complimentary reviews yet, or I missed it in the forum churn.

I for one am very glad there's a guy who takes the time to research, write, and post reviews on many many topics that I'm interested in. Virtually every time I type in some shotgun review on google, I get my best result with the least marketing, from his site. While some folks here MAY be writing/posting as much good info under other names, I haven't been able to find those efforts.

Anyways, worth checking out, good hand's on review and he doesn't get embroiled in the invector-ds choke issue on these.
robp
PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2016 11:06 am  Reply with quote

Dave
I'm with you I read part two and was confused about the posts regarding Randy's negative review of the new Sweet 16.
I thought it to be a complimentary review
FWIW i have shot several new A5s And I have to agree I thought the trigger pull was heavy but that''s because I'm use to something different and that different gun has a modified trigger I thought his comments on tyhe chokes made sense as well but maybe I missed something both seem to be easy fixes if you were unhappy with the guns performance
Cheyenne08
PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2016 1:38 pm  Reply with quote

This is the way I look at reviews, if I agree with the reviewer, it is a good review, if I don't, it is a bad review.

Now how screwed up is that?

But that is the way most people seem to rate any reviewer.

God help the honest reviewer, he or she will be assaulted from both sides, I would rather have my feelings hurt and get an honest review, than one designed to please a manufacturer. Which is most often the case.

Dale

...Andrew Jackson...
Bronzebow
PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2016 7:20 pm  Reply with quote

God help the honest reviewer, he or she will be assaulted from both sides, I would rather have my feelings hurt and get an honest review, than one designed to please a manufacturer. Which is most often the case.

Dale

agree totally
tramroad28
PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2016 3:30 am  Reply with quote

I suspect that Senor Wakeman elecits negative responses to reviews based upon more than any one review...be it negative or positive.
One can follow his exploits on one board, especially, and the attitude and "graph/photos" will be along shortly....as will be his detractors for a Larry & Gary Lite show.

He does appear to follow a certain path of preference, a certain path of superiority and a certain path re promotion but....it is a free world.
He has written about dogs which has hit a positive chord with me personally but I suspect that would wear thin on a birdhunting trip about 10 minutes in....I might wear thin about 4 minutes in tho. Smile

As before, his reviews are worth what one pays for them......he says what we like, we like him and, not.
Same for either of the title characters on the perennial Larry & Gary show playing elsewhere.

The new 16 A5 is a marketers improper answer to a small niche's dream and will stand the test of public purchase or not...14 year-old boys simply will not be buying many of them.
double vision
PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2016 3:42 am  Reply with quote

Wakeman seems to like the new SW16. I'd never bash a reviewer if he gave one of my shotguns a negative review. I just think he's a lot of hype at times and often goes to ridiculous lengths to cover his statements with spin. If you've read him long enough you'd know what I'm talking about. That said, I think he helps a lot of less than savvy buyers get to square one.
kgb
PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2016 9:19 am  Reply with quote

Dave Erickson wrote:
That said, I think he helps a lot of less than savvy buyers get to square one.

That's not a bad contribution to make. We can debate the other aspects here and at similar specialized sites the rest of the time.

double vision
PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2016 9:49 am  Reply with quote

kgb wrote:
Dave Erickson wrote:
That said, I think he helps a lot of less than savvy buyers get to square one.

That's not a bad contribution to make. We can debate the other aspects here and at similar specialized sites the rest of the time.

Yep, credit deserved!
Charlie16ga
PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2016 9:58 am  Reply with quote

In the political world it's odd, but there are very few types of news that are perceived as bad news. It is also true that good news creates bad news, there are always those wishing to get known for being contrary to the common belief.

I think anything that gets our gauge attention without killing people aids in our cause.

There are some major milestones that our gauge, if it had a champion, could fight for:

3 inch chambers
sporting game classes for our gauge

Imagine how many of the other issues and perceived limitations would be eliminated by these 2 goals:

More production of guns, ammo, chokes.
Increased perceived acceptance for larger volume loads - turkey, goose, duck, deer, hogs, coyote.

I think a lightweight 3 inch 16 gauge would cut a wide production gap in the 20 gauge market and could be promoted as a superior product in every way.

Now is this my perceptions or my desire for a 3 inch option, not really, but you must remember its the bigger market you are trying to tap, not us crazy 16 gauge freaks.

02' Rem 870 Exp
53' Rem 870 Wing
53' Mar 90 DT
50' Mar 90 DT
47' Rem 31L
46' Win 12 (2)
33' Rem 31
JNW
PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2016 7:48 pm  Reply with quote

There are already champions of the 16 gauge - everyone who participates on this board! Just by being here we are the major advocates of 16 gauge guns on the internet. The other major shotgun and upland boards all refer folks to this site for information and discussion of 16 gauge guns and gear. Keep up the good work.
The other major advocates of the 16 gauge are SxS shoots. Almost all of them have gauge specific events. I was just at the Tunnel of Trees shoot in Michigan and they had smallbore events on both Friday and Sunday. Here's what the trophy from Sunday looks like.

[/URL]

If you want to improve the visibility of the 16 gauge put together a shoot for vintage guns or smallbore guns. Encourage your club to have a winter 16 gauge league. Heck, just by showing up and shooting a 16 in public always brings questions from other shooters.
As for the whole 3" 16 gauge thing, forget it. That's what 12 gauge guns are for. The 16 shines doing what it's done best for the last 150 years - being the Queen of the Uplands. And yes, it also makes a fine light water fowler.

Randy Wakeman is saying good things about a new 16 gauge gun. This is only good for us. I'm tempted to buy a new Sweet 16 just to support this effort. Tempted, but not sure if I'll succumb. I will want to shoot one next spring at The 16 Gauge Shoot.
Regards,
Jeff

Last edited by JNW on Fri Sep 23, 2016 8:09 pm; edited 1 time in total
double vision
PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2016 7:57 pm  Reply with quote

Jeff, that's quite the trophy. Congratulations!