16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Guns  ~  new used m 37
drcook
PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2016 6:06 pm  Reply with quote

Here are a few pics of my friend's pre-war 16ga. I have to load up my photo enhancing software on this machine (other machine crashed) so they are not as bright and crisp as they could be, but they give an idea.

Once I get the pictures redone, I will put up a separate post of what an Ithaca that has been redone to recreate it as it left the factory looks like

fourtrax
PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2016 8:00 pm  Reply with quote

drcook,
That one looks new.

drcook
PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2016 8:13 pm  Reply with quote

fourtrax wrote:
drcook,
That one looks new.

that is the end result of having sent a nice, but well used gun to Les Hovencamp for a restoration

fourtrax
PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2016 7:00 am  Reply with quote

Very nice work!

Cold Iron
PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2016 4:59 pm  Reply with quote

So couple of weeks before fourtax posted this he had been working on me about going to the Sweet 16 shoot. Like I do every year told him I hadn't owned a 16 in 40 years but my first gun was a 37 28" Mod choke 16. Killed a lot of game with that gun and said maybe I should look for a 26" IC 37 for grouse. He said they are hard to find in that configuration but do exist. When he posted this I knew I was in trouble, he had done it once again.

Soon after this post he called me and said he would sell it to me for what he paid for it. We have a tradition after the last hunt of the day once the dogs have been groomed and guns put away to have a sit by the vehicles and drink a couple ounces of brown liker to chase the aches and pains away. I told him I'd provided the brown liker and he replied SOLD!

Been shooting it most of the summer and shoot it better than any of my other guns. No cast or pitch but it just fits me and shoots where I look just like the 37 I grew up with. But even better. Put on a KickEEZ pad to increase the LOP a bit, do have an Ithaca Sunburst pad but it is thicker so would have to cut the stock, not sure if I am or not. 2 months ago finally got around to refinishing it and am very pleased with the outcome. Did the final rub out last weekend, leaving Sunday for a week on the North Shore grouse hunting cut it pretty close. Of course it will be my main grouse gun this year including purple shells as it should be.

True fiddleback with lots of jewling

Other side

The hunting jacket was my grandfathers who introduced me to the 37 and the 16 ga.

After hunting season I will send the metal out to be reblued. Thanks Steve! Wait because of you I now own 4 16 ga. guns and 6 37's. Next thing you know I'll own one of those all up and twisted barrel SxS guns...
double vision
PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2016 5:57 pm  Reply with quote

Cold Iron, you have the nicest looking Ithaca 37's on the planet!
fourtrax
PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2016 6:56 pm  Reply with quote

Darn Mike that butt stock is even prettier than I thought it was. Glad to help you with the 16 ga disease. Embarassed Embarassed

Cold Iron
PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2016 7:58 pm  Reply with quote

fourtrax wrote:
Darn Mike that butt stock is even prettier than I thought it was. Glad to help you with the 16 ga disease. Embarassed Embarassed

And thank YOU! After more than 40 years, going on close to 50 now of shooting\hunting and a safe that is no longer large enough to hold my guns I have come full circle, back to where I started. No complaints on the journey and experiences, but it is nice to be back "home". Thanks again.
popplecop
PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2016 5:13 am  Reply with quote

Great find, hope you enjoy it as much as I enjoy my 50s 16 with a 28" M. barrel.

High Shooter
PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2016 4:32 pm  Reply with quote

I'm jealous, it's very nice. The Ithaca 37 16 gauge was the gun I started hunting with in the 80s. I wish I still had it. I'm waiting to come across a nice one to buy someday.
16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2016 9:22 am  Reply with quote

[quote="fourtrax"]Bought a 16 ga 26" I.C. Ithaca model 37. Decent shape but a shooter only.

Nothing wrong with 16 ga. "just shooters" in my book. They make excellent "no worries" field guns. Besides, that's what I've been led to believe the Model 37 was originally designed for (and it's why I bought mine).

As long as the gun functions like it should, then I'd simply knock any dust and other junk off, clean it up inside if it needs it, then simply use it and enjoy it as is. Spend your savings on shells and shooting practice. That's what really matters IMO--And good luck w/ your gun. Very Happy