16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Ammunition & Reloading  ~  Rifleman Article - Browning Ammo
16GAwaterfowler
PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2016 4:10 am  Reply with quote

Dave Erickson wrote:
...and my favorite old Federal..."Hiawatha." (sold by Gambles as noted)

Yes sir ,I still have a few Revelation 16 ga hulls which I think were the Western Auto brand. They load up just like the Federal Field hulls.
double vision
PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2016 4:26 am  Reply with quote

My little hometown had a Gambles (and a Coast to Coast). I still get warm warm nostalgic rush when I see a Hiawatha box. Takes my back to crisp fall days with heavy skies and the timeless, dark woods of my youth.
XVIgauge
PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2016 8:27 am  Reply with quote

16GAwaterfowler wrote:
XVIgauge wrote:
Now I know why I came back to this forum. It is such a pleasant and friendly place and lots of posters who never wrote the book but who know more than the guys who did write the books. I now feel so informed and enlightened. Still waiting to see the data.
xvigauge

I don't understand what the confusion is all about. Browning does not make their own ammunition they just have their name put on it by Winchester. So your either getting Winchester hulls/ammunition made in the USA or Winchester Australia Ammunition which uses Cheddite hulls and is made in Australia.
The ammunition market has changed quite a bit and there's hundreds of brand names out there today, however there are very few manufacturers of ammunition that only use a few different kinds of hulls. RIO which is owned by Maxam outdoors and used to be part of UEE group manufactures quite few brand and house names of ammunition. It doesn't matter who's name is on the outside of the hulls they are all RIO hulls, same goes for Cheddite of France they manufacture hulls for hundreds of brand and house name ammunition companies.
Years ago Federal used to make ammunition for Montgomery-Wards, Western Auto, and Gambles . You looked in Lymans #2 manual and it stated that and also stated the hulls are all the same and load the same way no matter who's name was on the hulls.

No confusion here. I understand what you guys are saying. Read your last sentence. "You looked in the Lymans #2 manual and it stated..." Now THAT is published data. All I am asking is where is there data that states that the Browning hulls are "all the same and load the same way?" Evidently there is none. With that regard, I personally would not load them. I have been reloading shotgun and rifle ammo for 50 years and I have always followed safe reloading practices. I NEVER substitute components and if I don't have published data for any specific components, then I won't use those components. What if some guy who does not have the experience that you all have reads this and then assumes if he can substitute hulls, then he can substitute other components. Before long, he will get into trouble. That's all I am am saying. In fact, the article, of which this thread is about, states that the Browning hulls are not reloadable. Everyone can do what they want, but to write on a public forum that it is ok to load a hull for which there is no SPECIFIC data for that hull is really not very good advice.

There really was no reason for you and 16gaugeguy to get snarky with me. That's the only reason that my last comment was snarky, and I apologize for that. As far as being glad that you are not in Florida, sorry that you feel that way. But, come on down and I will put you onto some dove and snipe fields. No hard feelings.
xvigauge

16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2016 1:06 pm  Reply with quote

I'm just funnin'w/ you here XVIgauge. It's part of my typical bloviatin'. No offense intended. But 16GAwaterfowler knows what of he speaks.

As far as Cheddites go, I'm almost certain the French have been having the hulls fabricated in China since the 1990's (which I don't have any problems with BTW). The stars stamped on the bases give it away. The hulls are the same ones used for the Chinese 12 ga. ammo imported by Estate of Texas before Federal/Alliant took the brand name over. I still have a few of these older Chinese made Estate hulls tucked away. Those old hulls are exactly like the new Cheddite type 12 ga hulls used by just about everyone.

I'm betting it's the same for most if not all of the European based wads--made in China. Just part of 21st Century globalization. It's just how our big old world works now.
16GAwaterfowler
PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2016 1:35 am  Reply with quote

Wasn't trying to get anybody's feathers in a ruffle, just passing on information.
I can say this, everybody that loads for 16 gauge really should keep up with the times, not gonna be long before the European type hulls with different primers and load recipes are common place and we all have to deal with them.
Federal just started offering their 12 gauge field loads with RIO hulls, Winchesters been using Cheddite in 16 gauge for years, so it may be a good move to learn a bit more about the European type hulls.
PRONGHORNSOUTH
PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2016 12:50 pm  Reply with quote

XVIgauge,
I would love to join you in that dove field!
I've got some RST's ready to go, and I'm close by!
Second Phase is here!
XVIgauge
PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2016 6:13 pm  Reply with quote

PRONGHORNSOUTH wrote:
XVIgauge,
I would love to join you in that dove field!
I've got some RST's ready to go, and I'm close by!
Second Phase is here!

pm sent

xvigauge