16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  Biodegradable shot shells
Ray-citori
PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2016 12:59 pm  Reply with quote

After reading the article about Hooche's great dog in his "My dog" post link to the Nebraska Magazine, I thumbed through the rest of the magazine and found an article on shot shells wads and hulls in the field page 70. Good article. I think I would pay extra for the hulls and wads that are gone in weeks instead years. Your opinion?
tramroad28
PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2016 1:42 pm  Reply with quote

Nope...I would not pay an extra sou.
There are far more important issues afoot a-field.
df
PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2016 2:03 pm  Reply with quote

I load virtually 100% of the shells that I shoot and would not pay any extra for biodegradable hulls or wads.
Gil S
PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2016 2:30 pm  Reply with quote

You have several choices:
1) pick up plastic hulls and shoot fiber wads
2) use brass hulls and shoot fiber wads
3) load paper hulls with fiber wads. The head will eventually rust away if not retrieved.
Some estates in the UK won't allow plastic wads because of harm to sheep which graze the grounds. Plastic hulls must be picked up.
A break action shotgun makes hull retrieval easier. Gil
Gamekeeper
PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2016 3:10 pm  Reply with quote

I use fiber wads and pick up empty shells as a courtesy to the land owner where I shoot.
I'm not sure I'd pay more for bio degradable shells but would use them as I do not reload shotgun shells.
However I would like to know the shelf life of B/D shells, wouldn't want them to degrade before I got a chance to use them..... Crying or Very sad

AmericanMeet
PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2016 11:07 pm  Reply with quote

A few of the farms that I have permission to hunt prefer to have no plastic left behind. the solution is easy: load fiber wads and catch the hull as it is ejected, which I do anyway. I used to see biodegradeable one piece wads advertised but they were only in 12 ga and I haven't seen any ads in the last few years
skeettx
PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2016 5:08 am  Reply with quote

An important innovation for environment too

Gualandi Wads, excellent for plastic and cardboard Cases, can also be manufactured (on demand) in the photodegradable version, for long studied and widely tested, in compliance with the present legislation in favour of ecology. PHOTODEGRADABLE is not to be confused with BIODEGRADABLE. Photodegradable Wads start self-destructing when exposed to atmospheric agents, particularly to light; consequently after 8-10 months approximately they start cracking, and become powder after two years approximately.
It is a gradual process starting when the Wads are exposed to light and independently of the fact that Wads have been shot. However we assure that GUALANDI PHOTODEGRADABLE Wads keep their qualities unchanged for 12-18 months if they are loaded in NON-TRANSPARENT Cases or stocked in a dark place, far from deteriorating substances, heat, solvents, etc.
It is a very sensible item, so we strongly advise you to use it very soon after the purchase.

http://www.gualandi.it/en/products_plastic_wads/base_wads.html

Gil S
PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2016 6:17 am  Reply with quote

I shoot dove fields that have been continuously hunted for 40-50 years at minimum. The evolving ,colorful history of plastic wads in all gauges is brought forward with each annual plowing. What's a reliable source for paper hulls in 16? Gil
Dave in Maine
PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2016 7:51 am  Reply with quote

I would not give anyone any ideas about "biodegradable" or "photodegradable" stuff. Pick up all the empties, including the other guy's. Pick up all wads you see. Use fiber wads.
We have enough crap restrictions being dumped on our heads by people who want nothing more than to eliminate hunting and shooting and we don't need to be encouraging more of it.

Smokeless
PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2016 2:50 pm  Reply with quote

Dave in Maine wrote:

We have enough crap restrictions being dumped on our heads by people who want nothing more than to eliminate hunting and shooting and we don't need to be encouraging more of it.

Amen to that.

I pick up my hulls, and don't shoot enough out in the field that the wads are a real concern. I also tend to stockpile ammo, so I won't buy anything with a best before date. Smile
Cheyenne08
PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2016 4:14 pm  Reply with quote

Dave in Maine wrote:
I would not give anyone any ideas about "biodegradable" or "photodegradable" stuff. Pick up all the empties, including the other guy's. Pick up all wads you see. Use fiber wads.

+ 1, Dave has it right, the radical anti-hunting crowd would jump on that concept in a New York minute, bad enough now with all this anti-lead crap!

Dale

...Andrew Jackson...
Gil S
PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2016 5:10 pm  Reply with quote

And now a word about fibre wads: Long live plastic wads. I shot a couple of boxes of fibre wads in a double at doves and I thought I'd never get the barrels cleaned from lead fouling. Gil
Ray-citori
PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2016 11:49 am  Reply with quote

In the 80's steel shot for waterfowl was shoved down our throats. All asked was would you pay extra and use them. Didn't mean to get panties in a twist Confused
Cheyenne08
PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2016 12:01 pm  Reply with quote

Ray-citori wrote:
In the 80's steel shot for waterfowl was shoved down our throats. All asked was would you pay extra and use them. Didn't mean to get panties in a twist Confused

Don't believe many of us here wear panties. I think the answer to your question is: No.

When you ask a question on this forum, be prepared to get honest and candid answers.

Wink

Dale

...Andrew Jackson...
jschultz
PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2016 12:17 pm  Reply with quote

I have used card and fiber wads for 10 years, not because of environmental issues, but simply because they, along with RMC brass hulls have given me outstanding patterns. I mostly hunt on our ranch and don't have a hull or plastic wad problems.
I agree with with Gil S when he said when using C&F wads, it takes forever to get the barrels clean. After each outing I run a Tiki Tool through the barrels and at the end of the season the gun gets a through cleaning that takes days to complete.