16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Ammunition & Reloading  ~  Load verify/clarity
putz463
PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2016 3:04 am  Reply with quote

I'm doing my homework on loads for a new to me short chambered gun and have some Universal to burn. Looking at the spreadsheets the data is a little confusing. Hoping for some clarity from the collective.

Cheddite 2 1/2" 7/8 oz Universal 18.0 Ched 209 BP Z-16 1177 7,400 16 gauge forum Roll Crimp
Cheddite 2 1/2" 7/8 oz Universal 19.5 Ched 209 BP SG-16 1125 7,300 Hodgdons
Cheddite 2 1/2" 7/8 oz Universal 19.9 Ched 209 BP SG-16 1150 7,500 Hodgdons
Cheddite 2 1/2" 7/8 oz Universal 19.7 Noblesport BP SG-16 1125 7,100 Hodgdons
Cheddite 2 1/2" 7/8 oz Universal 20.1 Noblesport BP SG-16 1150 7,300 Hodgdons
RST Cheddite Hull 7/8 oz Universal 17.0 Ched 209 BP SG-16 1250 8,000 16 gauge forum Fold crimp

How can the bottom recipe w/17g produce ~100fps more than the ones listed above it all using more powder and all from trusted/reliable sources? I get the top being rolled + a different wad producing a little less speed but spectical about the others. Maybe a typo? Open to input here.

byrdog
PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2016 3:15 am  Reply with quote

None of this is etched in stone.

If you take Cranberries and stew them like applesauce they taste much more like Prunes than Rhubarb does ----G.M/
skeettx
PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2016 5:08 am  Reply with quote

Different try gun and tested at different locations and at different altitudes?

Lots of variables here. It is all relevant

Mike

16gaDavis
PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2016 5:44 am  Reply with quote

what Skeetex said Putzie ... diff wad , exactly 383 grns shot , the good news is that they all should be in your ball park and useable . if it was a BP load , then I'd be a little skeptical . I would trust Hodgdons for sure . ballistics Is all ballpark , not a measured mile !

16GAwaterfowler
PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2016 1:43 am  Reply with quote

Are all of the recipes roll crimped and the last one fold crimp? That will do it right there, roll crimp will always produce less pressure than fold crimp.
I'm using 19 Unique ,SG16 wad 7/8 oz,CX2000 primer in Cheddite hull and have had good results with it in my short chamber Baker 16 SXS. Pretty much my go to load anymore for it.
putz463
PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2016 2:05 am  Reply with quote

Thanks guys, understood; many variables in this game and I assume the only rolled load was the top being clearly called out and the others from Hodgdon being folded. FWIW; I loaded a box of the last 17gr load and shot it out of the gun last night, fairly soft shooting load in the 27" 6lb gun but VERY dirty with alot of soot around the muzzle. Universal maybe designed for slightly heavier lifting and might not like the lighter workouts. The search continues.

Thanks for sharing 16gaWF, I have some Unique in house so might try that load.

number1wrench
PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2016 10:57 am  Reply with quote

putz463 wrote:
Thanks guys, understood; many variables in this game and I assume the only rolled load was the top being clearly called out and the others from Hodgdon being folded. FWIW; I loaded a box of the last 17gr load and shot it out of the gun last night, fairly soft shooting load in the 27" 6lb gun but VERY dirty with alot of soot around the muzzle. Universal maybe designed for slightly heavier lifting and might not like the lighter workouts. The search continues.

Thanks for sharing 16gaWF, I have some Unique in house so might try that load.

In regard to your results and soot and mild recoil. Loads that exhibit those characteristics are often too low pressure. You picked the lowest powder charge in a lone duck hull choice. The Hodgdon loads all use a higher powder charge admittedly different hull. Just an opinion but I would try more than one recipe before I gave up on the performance of the powder. If you look at the Hodgdon data website you will find Hodgdon Universal and 7/8oz. loads in 16ga. and 20ga. So I doubt the payload weight to be problematic. I have used Alliant Unique in loads that I deliberately lowered powder drops and immediately had more soot. Just say'n
putz463
PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2016 1:28 am  Reply with quote

Will do, and to my knowledge the RST and Cheddite are the same hull cut to the same length as the other recipes.