16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Guns  ~  Darne 16 ga
bhs61
PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2016 6:43 pm  Reply with quote

Got the breech block for my R11 back from Geoffroy Gournet today. He switch the safety from the left side to the right side. I ran the five stand with it at StPaul shoot and decided it was worth the expense to make it huntable. He had the block less than three weeks! Thanks Ted for the gunsmith recommendation!
Ted Schefelbein
PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2016 8:14 pm  Reply with quote

Glad I could help. You can also use the opening lever as a safety, with spring tension holding it almost verticle against your thumb, and then closing it at the shot. It works better than it sounds.
Geoffroy has my 28 gauge V19 at the moment, fitting up a Darne sling. Did you have any luck getting a 16 gauge version for your gun?

Best,
Ted

Gil S
PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2016 5:16 am  Reply with quote

The opening lever held vertical to act as a safety is good to know. Thanks for mentioning this, Ted. This is a method recommended in the Darne user's manual which is harder to come by than the gun. Gil
Lloyd3
PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2016 10:16 am  Reply with quote

I learn something new here all the time . Thanks Ted.

Ted Schefelbein
PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2016 6:23 pm  Reply with quote

Demonstrated. I'm holding the gun with my left hand, taking a lousy picture with my right. The Darne is a 20 bore (full disclosure) and light enough (sub 6 lbs) to be comfortable doing that. The opening lever is under just a bit of spring tension, and were a grouse to flush, I'd miss because there is a camera in my right hand, and I'm in the house. But, if I was hunting, my right hand would be closer to the front wood, and I'd snap the action closed to get a shot of at him.

[URL=http://www.jpgbox.com/page/50890_600x400/] [/URL]

A Darne safety is lefty friendly, but, I still use the gun in this fashion, from time to time.

Best,
Ted

larry
PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2016 5:42 am  Reply with quote

Ted, I have a R-10 Darne with heavy triggers. Would JJ in Oklahoma be the man? Gournet is not interested and Merrington did not respond to my email. Thanks, Larry
Ted Schefelbein
PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2016 6:36 am  Reply with quote

Larry,
Yes. JJ is excellent. Geoffroy is quite busy with engraving, which makes him more money than day-to-day gunsmithing. He does some, but, usually as a filler. The end of August, right before hunting season, might not be the best time to ask.
There was a recent post on Dave Webers double gun board in which I detailed how to go about lubing Darne R model sears. It might be worth a try.
I really don't want to re-type it all, so go there and search "Darne".
Kirk may have given up on trigger adjustments on R model Darnes, but, he is excellent for a strip and clean and many other gun smith tasks. He isn't that good at returning emails. Again, it is a very busy time of year for him.

Best,
Ted

larry
PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2016 7:45 am  Reply with quote

Ted, Thanks for the info. I did read how to lube the sears and did so. No change. I will try to send the gun to JJ, Thanks again, Larry
Ted Schefelbein
PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2016 6:54 pm  Reply with quote

Let us know how it goes, Larry. The triggers on my R10s are a mixed bag, from excellent on my 20 gauge, to "John Wayne" (rough and tough and don't take crap from nobody) on one of my 12s.
I can't remember how they are on the other 12. Must be OK.

Good Luck.

Best,
Ted

Gil S
PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2016 6:33 am  Reply with quote

I suppose I got lucky with my old 16 ga. R-10; it had problems initially but Ted did me a solid on resolution. The triggers seem to be right. Crisp and not heavy. Gil
greg
PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2016 4:15 pm  Reply with quote

darne colors very nice
besk
PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2016 11:35 am  Reply with quote

Why oh Why did I sell my Darne?? Bought new, 20 ga but excellent for quail. Those photos bring back memories.