16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Ammunition & Reloading  ~  Replicating RST loads
Dave in Maine
PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2016 7:47 am  Reply with quote

I'm sure this has been discussed at some point and I just can't find it, but has anyone figured out which wad RST uses in their shells? Also the powder. I'd like to replicate their loads b/c my guns love them.

Thanks!

16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2016 11:18 am  Reply with quote

I suggest you retrieve a couple of your spent wads and post several pictures of the sides and bottoms of them. We'll probably be able to tell you what the wad type is since most manufactures use the same types of wads available to us.

However, powder and primer types also determine ballistics. Duplicating the exact type of powder and primer most likely won't be possible. Manufacturers use industrial primers and non-canister powders which aren't available to us. I'm betting you can probably get close enough though with some trial and error testing.
Dave In AZ
PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2016 1:04 pm  Reply with quote

Dave, you need to give a bit more info-- RST has 12 differet 16ga loadings available. Which are you trying to replicate?
As said above, just take one apart and post close-up of the hull and headstamp, and the wad, total weight of powder and shot. Someone will be able to match it closely, maybe not exactly. But with the same wad and speed, your pattern should be about the same.
fn16ga
PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2016 8:13 pm  Reply with quote

The ones I checked where Sg16 or sg16s depending on the load , powder I have no idea
Charles Hammack
PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2016 11:15 am  Reply with quote

The 3/4 oz 16ga. Uses the DR.16 was.

Regards. Nick
Dave in Maine
PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2016 2:56 am  Reply with quote

Dave In AZ wrote:
Dave, you need to give a bit more info-- RST has 12 differet 16ga loadings available. Which are you trying to replicate?
As said above, just take one apart and post close-up of the hull and headstamp, and the wad, total weight of powder and shot. Someone will be able to match it closely, maybe not exactly. But with the same wad and speed, your pattern should be about the same.

That's kinda the point - (1) my doubles really like the 2 1/2 in RST 1 oz. loads, (2) I recently came into a pile of once-fired RST hulls (they're Cheddites) and (3) I want to be able to make more (I'd like to rather than spend full retail, plus, you never know about supply interruptions). While (3) and the threat of supply interruption was more pressing before Tuesday night/Wednesday morning, it still is worth knowing.

wellshooter
PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2016 1:51 pm  Reply with quote

I load 2 1/2 RST's with 7/8 oz a DR16 and 14-18 grs of International depending on the velocity I want. Right now I'm leaning toward 14 grs which gives me about 1050 FPS on the chrono.

But I find the RST hulls do not last. Three times through the press and they start splitting.

16 ga. Citori White Lightning
3- 16 ga. Remington M 31's
16 ga. Ithaca M 37 Featherlight
Savage16
PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2016 8:49 am  Reply with quote

Wellshooter- what velocity are u seeing on the chrono with 18grains? What primer?

byrdog
PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2016 12:41 pm  Reply with quote

So, the primer is a cheddite
the wad is a Gulandi short in 16ga
All that you need to know now is what powder and how much. If some one would be willing to open a 1oz shell and get a weight and post a picture or the powder that would be great. I load 2.5 " cheddites and to get a 1oz load I have to use a ball powder or a Vectan Granulated powder to get it all under a nice crimp. The other option is to call RST and find out if they even use a canister powder. Big ammo blends bulk powder to achieve their specs. If RST does'nt produce that kind of product volume they may very well use a canister powder.

If you take Cranberries and stew them like applesauce they taste much more like Prunes than Rhubarb does ----G.M/
wellshooter
PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2016 2:31 pm  Reply with quote

Savage16 wrote:
Wellshooter- what velocity are u seeing on the chrono with 18grains? What primer?

W-209's

It works out to be about a 50 fps change per grain + or - a little. 18 grains being 1250 fps, 17=1200, 16=1150, 15=1100, 14= 1050, 13= 1000, and 12 = 950.

In a 28" barreled Modified M-31.

Starting from the loads posted on the Hogdon website and substituting W 209 primers I worked my way down to 950 fps and then went back up to 1050 which suited me well. It made a nice soft shooting clays load that I have to lead a little more than I like. But life is full of compromises. My body is 66 years young and doesn't like being beat up.

I have not had any of these loads pressure tested.

16 ga. Citori White Lightning
3- 16 ga. Remington M 31's
16 ga. Ithaca M 37 Featherlight
Dave Miles
PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2016 3:38 am  Reply with quote

byrdog wrote:
So, the primer is a cheddite
the wad is a Gulandi short in 16ga
All that you need to know now is what powder and how much. If some one would be willing to open a 1oz shell and get a weight and post a picture or the powder that would be great. I load 2.5 " cheddites and to get a 1oz load I have to use a ball powder or a Vectan Granulated powder to get it all under a nice crimp. The other option is to call RST and find out if they even use a canister powder. Big ammo blends bulk powder to achieve their specs. If RST does'nt produce that kind of product volume they may very well use a canister powder.

I've been to the RST facility, and watched them load shells.
I talked with Morris Baker about the powder they use.
He said it's a blend from the powder manufacturer, that's not available to the public.

16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2016 2:06 pm  Reply with quote

Charles Hammack wrote:
The 3/4 oz 16ga. Uses the DR.16 was.

Regards. Nick

How goes it Nick? I'm a tad confused here (so what else is new Laughing ). Are you telling us RST is now offering 3/4 ounce loads? It would be great news for those amongst us who can't or won't reload. Please enlighten me. Thanks.

Addendum: Yes they do. I just looked it up on the RST website. 2.5 inch, 3/4 ounce loads. Wow. Who knew. Apparently, not me. I'm flabbergasted...or is that gasterflabbered? I guess I'm still confused. Laughing

A bit pricey for me though at about $11 a box. I can roll my own w/ the DR16 wad for about $3.00 a box or less. One more reason why it pays to reload. Very Happy
Dave in Maine
PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2016 3:01 am  Reply with quote

They're also offering 16 ga bismuth, for $65 a box of 25. In the scheme of things, that's not a bad price.

And while their other shells are "pricey", take a minute and compare them to the price of Remington Express at Wally World, i.e., somewhere in the $15-16 range. I like RSTs for hunting loads - my guns like them, they're easy on the guns, and they make pheasants drop.