16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Guns Wanted or For Sale  ~  WTB: Markel 1620 straight stock and single trigger
Dannyboy175
PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2016 8:08 pm  Reply with quote

I'm looking at buying a new 16 gauge and due to some suggestions in another post, am considering the Merkel 1620. I love straight/english stocks, but I guess that I'm not quite a purist, because I can't get used to double triggers. I also prefer the look of color case hardened as opposed to flashy engraved receivers.

Both of my trigger and stock preferences are not the default options, but I don't know whether my desired configuration is the equivalent of a four leaf clover or a unicorn. How rare would it be to find a 1620 with a single trigger and a straight stock?

There is a 1620 with single trigger and straight stock for sale online now, but I am hesitant to make an impulse buy as I'm just coming up to speed.

Apparently, you can special order an 1620E or 1620EL, but not the classy but understated 1620. Even if I could get past the flash of the E and EL versions, they are now a considerable jump up in price from what they were. I guess that is the result of it being a special order as opposed to routine production.

It really is unfortunate that they aren't really making the 1620 any longer. I wonder why they stopped producing them... they seem to have quite the following. Anyone know why they pulled the plug?

df
PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2016 8:34 pm  Reply with quote

I have no inside info on why they were did continued, but I would guess lack of demand. They are nice, a friend has one.
I have a 147E in 16ga, ST, PG. Have only had it for six months but really like it.
Good luck in your search.
Riflemeister
PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2016 8:00 am  Reply with quote

Some of the Ithaca SKB SXS's came with the English stock, single selective trigger configuration also. A decent condition SKB is a fairly nice gun.

eng-pointer
PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2016 11:40 am  Reply with quote

Quote:
Some of the Ithaca SKB SXS's came with the English stock, single selective trigger configuration also. A decent condition SKB is a fairly nice gun.

I am unaware of the SKBs being made in 16 ga but I am always open to the possibility of being wrong. If I am then the search is on because I love my model 100 12 ga as a foul weather gun!

James

"My degree of optimism is negotiated daily" Bill Snyder, Former Head Football Coach, Kansas State University
16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2016 2:01 pm  Reply with quote

eng-pointer wrote:
Quote:

I am unaware of the SKBs being made in 16 ga but I am always open to the possibility of being wrong. If I am then the search is on because I love my model 100 12 ga as a foul weather gun!

James

As far as I know, SKB has never offered a 16 ga shotgun of any kind. But based on my experience being an owner of one, the 20 ga SXS SKB/Ithaca models are a true joy to own and shoot. Mine has a single selective trigger which is as dependable as the sunrise.

I also am fairly certain that several custom 16 ga SXS models made in the States (in Conn. I think) and offered in the past were built on SKB blocks and forend irons. You might look for one of those. I've never handled one, but I can speak from experience that SKB blocks and irons are well made for sure.

You also can't go wrong w/ a Merkel 1620 SxS model either. Yup, I've got one w/ a single selective trigger, But I'm fairly certain the base SST models are (or were) made only w/ a semi-pistol grip. It's a comfortable grip design though IMO. Best keep in mind a straight grip really does nothing for us when the gun has but one trigger. It's just for show. Just sayin'.
Riflemeister
PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2016 5:10 pm  Reply with quote

eng-pointer wrote:
Quote:

James

Sorry, I forgot we were looking at 16 ga only.