16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Ammunition & Reloading  ~  slug data
Jim Atlas
PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2016 9:27 am  Reply with quote

Having recently moved to Ohio, I'm just now starting down the rabbit hole of slug loading. So I'm starting to amass data etc.
There's a fair amount of data for 12 ga of course, but you know how it is...
So does any one have any expertise in 16 ga slugs? What're the preferred powders? HS-6? Blue dot?
AmericanMeet
PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2016 10:30 pm  Reply with quote

I have a few manuals that list slug loads for the 16ga. the manuals won't be available to me until late tomorrow, so I'll try and remember to post some of the info. I recall trying to load some slugs a year to two back and I recall it being difficult to get the slug into the hull without crushing the hull, so there is some technique to it that I haven't mastered.
Cold Iron
PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2016 1:16 am  Reply with quote

Yeah I have a lot of experience with the 16 ga. and slugs over the last 40+ years. If you are restricted to the shotgun and slugs there really is no need to reload. I still reload for the 16 and light 7/8 target loads but for slugs? Doesn't make sense IMO.

If you are stuck on smoothbore then the Ithaca 37 and a good old fashioned DeerSlayer barrel is hard to beat with a Brenneke felt wad based slug. Killed a lot of deer with that exact combo over the years.

If you want to reach out and shoot 4" groups with the 16 or even the 12 at 200 plus yards then the DS II or III will get the job done using Light Fields. First purchased the Light Fields when the guy was making them in his basement in NJ. For a flatlander he did a pretty good job to say the least Very Happy

If your using something other than a 37 and a DS bbl smooth bore or rifled then good luck. If your serious about killing deer then just get a Deerslayer.

To be honest I have migrated to the bow and eventually the camera. Sunday was the last day of gun season here for deer and shot this guy 20 yards off the deck. Didn't even have to drag his butt out of the ravine.

A lightfield or Brenneke would have got the job done if you wanted backstrap. Not sure why anyone would reload outside of those slugs. But you may not be shooting a deerslayer. But maybe should look at them if not. The smooth bore was undersized which is what makes them so accurate And the new ones? Worth every penny if you want to shoot them on the bed at 200 yards.
16GAwaterfowler
PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2016 2:20 am  Reply with quote

BPI has some data in the Sixteen Gauge manual for the DGS slug, mostly faster powders like Clays, International and Green Dot. If they are any good or not I'm not sure, we use rifles here so it's 7mm mag for me with deer.