16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  Russsell Moccasin
simcgunner
PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2015 5:35 pm  Reply with quote

I have two pairs. I had one pair resoled by Russle and one pair done by a local cobbler. The local guy did a perfect job and only took a few days. If I live long enough to wear these soles out I will get the local fellow to do them again.
boots
PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2015 10:31 am  Reply with quote

jswanson does your 'vibram kletterlift' go by some other name? I did not find them on their web site. I am looking to get a pair of the 14" Gentlemen's Classic and am undecided on what sole to get.
goathoof
PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2016 11:48 am  Reply with quote

I wanted to offer an alternative to the boots that have been mentioned. I just received my new boots from Viberg. I had a previous pair for over ten years and my feet have out grown them, thus the need for new measurements and a new pair. For me, I have never had a better boot.

http://workboot.com/products/viberg-148softtoe

[/img[URL=http://s1088.photobucket.com/user/goatslk/media/L1000509.jpg.html] [/URL][img][/img]

These boots might be more heavy duty than many prefer; but out here in the desert with lava rock and debris, they are just great.
Cheesy
PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2016 7:57 pm  Reply with quote

Guys-I've got a gift certificate to Russell.

What boot do I order ?

Use is going to be western Kansas ringnecks. CRP chest high grass and crop stubbble. Our hunts start at daylight and end at dark. With only breaks being driving a few miles to next field.
AmericanMeet
PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2016 10:27 pm  Reply with quote

Cheesy wrote:

What boot do I order ?

Use is going to be western Kansas ringnecks. CRP chest high grass and crop stubbble. Our hunts start at daylight and end at dark. With only breaks being driving a few miles to next field.

The Bird Shooter is a good boot for your purposes, but my favorite all around boot is the Veal Imperial, lines with deer skin, Vibram sole.
Cold Iron
PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2016 8:35 am  Reply with quote

I agree with AM, for dry flat fields the Bird Shooter is the most commonly sold RM boot. I hunt the potholes region of SD for phez and add in cattails head high and lots of water. Plus the Sawtooth Mountains and bogs on the North Shore of Lake Superior for grouse. So wanted something stronger and taller so went with the Grand Slam Sheep Hunters about 12 years ago. Had them built 2" taller and a toe cap with air bob claw soles and they have worked under all conditions I have put them through. And have not needed to send them back to RM yet. Sorry about the FAIR it was my 12 ga. and not my 16 FAIR.

The gentlemen on the entrance web page here are wearing taller "birdshooters" and that was the standard at the time for good reason. A taller boot will get you through deeper water and keep you dry compared to the shorter boots many wear today. Russell still sells them. http://www.russellmoccasin.com/russell-gentlemans-classic-birdshooter/

At the Pope and Young museum one of the displays has Art Young in a pair of boots and when I saw it I immediately said to the curator Russell Moccasin boots. The curator smiled and said Russell Moccasin came over and built them for the display using the oldest boot templates they had on hand.

I do like the taller boots in general because it seems I spend a lot of time in wet areas. With all that said and all the boots I own my left foot has collapsed and degenerative arthritis has set into my ankle. Right before hunting season I get a cortisone shot ultrasound guided in to the ankle just so I can walk. Last couple of years have done a lot of searching and boot buying and the only boots that allow me to hunt even close to the way I used to are the Crispi Italian boots with the Ankle Bone Support Structure, They also allow my orthotics made by Mayo Clinic Sports Medicine to fit and work as they should. http://www.blackovis.com/crispi-hunter-htg-gtx-hunting-insulated-boot

For a few years a while ago Russell was big on the minimalist approach and even refused to build boots fit for orthotics, and pushed minimal structure and support. I didn't wear orthotics for years until recently and wore fairly light support boots for many years so now RM can kiss my grits.
AmericanMeet
PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2016 4:59 pm  Reply with quote

When my toe arches collapsed in 1985 I could no longer wear my Danner Winterlights, so went to Russell and had a pair of Imperials made to fit and have virtually nothing but Russells every day since that time. The photo shows seven pair, a few of them have been back to Russell for rebuilds, until as with the one pair, they kindly explain it to me that the shoes are worn beyond repair. the Imperials with the insulation (red quilting) were the first pair and I got them back in time for hunting season and they are "like-new" except no need to break-in.

Carlos
PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2016 5:42 pm  Reply with quote

Goathoof; Viberg is located in my town. They made their rep on logging boots.
goathoof
PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2016 7:14 pm  Reply with quote

Carlos, you are so fortunate to have such a quality boot maker that you can go in and have a fitting. Viberg folks on the phone are a pleasure to speak with.
Chicago
PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2016 7:08 pm  Reply with quote

Cheesy wrote:

What boot do I order ?

I have five pair and my suggestion is stick with the models that have triple vamp construction. Those are essentially water proof because none of the stitching goes all the way through. The double vamp will leak.

Although expensive I am partial to the Signature South 40 Birdshooter and I would order them with heel counters. Very comfortable with an extra layer of cushion in the bottom. I still use the original set of South 40 Birdshooters that I bought over 20 years ago and they get plenty of wear. The sole I use (Olympic Gumlite) provides extra cushion but wears out pretty quick. The air bob lasts forever, but provides zero cushion. Keep in mind this is a moccasin with a sole sewn on the bottom, so the sole provides much of the cushion. A new set of soles is about $75 at Russell.

Also remember this is a custom house and Ralph (the owner) will build you whatever you want.

The Signature will set you back $506 at current prices but they last a lifetime if you use the Obenauf wax on them.

Good Hunting,
Mike