skeettx
PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2016 8:09 pm  Reply with quote

And I have a Vent Rib, skeet barreled 410
Wow, what fun Smile
Flawless action, really throws out the hulls

Mike

dannypratt
PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2016 9:23 pm  Reply with quote

I wonder if the 28ga version just doesn't cycle well. I posted in response to another member stating his 28ga was finicky, it struck me as odd that I had a very similar problrm.
When I got my 28ga it wouldn't cycle anything at all, and would jam horribly between releasing a shell from the magazine and feeding it into the chamber. It was clean as a whistle, but I fully disassembled it, cleaned and checked everything very carefully, then re assembled and it jammed like crazy. Then I decided to try it at the range one shell at a time like a single shot.. gun fired, shell mostly ejected but got caught up on the ejection port and jammed. Cleared it, fired again and it functioned fine. A box of shells later, no problems at all. Day at the trap range, good to go. Headed up north, proud as can be to hunt with a 28ga all steel properly scaled automatic. Had a great flush of 3 birds. Fired a shot, complete jam. Empty jammed in ejection port, live shell jammed in transit on the lifter. Very carefully removed all shells, placed it in the truck and hunted the rest of the day with my 20ga BSS. Took it to my shop, they couldn't make it jam up on the test range, I fired a box thru it, no jams, cycled great. Took it squirrel hunting that evening, jammed 4 times. Twice the bolt wouldn't close on the shell fully. Next day I traded it against a BPS 16ga pump.
I had similar issues with my 12ga gun, but it was prior to the 28ga, figured it was just a hiccup, not a 12ga as a bird gun kind of guy so I didn't worry about it at the time.
I had a sweet Sportsman 48 16ga as well, never got a chance to shoot it though, sold it to Doggai, and it now belongs to another member here.
I've got a buddy with a 20ga model, he's never had a problem. It's a nice handling piece too.

popplecop
PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2016 1:25 pm  Reply with quote

My 3 16s all function well, mine are plain barrels, a 26 IC and 2 28" ones in M & F.

UncleDanFan
PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2016 5:32 pm  Reply with quote

Man, that's crazy. That pad is a poorly fitting one at that. Wow. If I didn't know how much that went for I would have said about $350-400. Shocked

The man's prayer from the Red Green Show: "I'm a man, but I can change, if I have to. I guess."
BarkeyVA
PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2016 6:00 pm  Reply with quote

I bought very nice Remington 48, 16 ga., 26" barrel with a Polychoke, 2-1/2 years ago. It had gone through 2 bidding cycles on Gunbroker with no one bidding on it. I called and asked the lowest they would sell it for shipped if no one bid on it. They said it was on consignment and the seller would not take anything less. I posted the minimum bid of $299 and got it.

It appears to be all original (except for the Polychoke) and shot very little. The only blemishes are a few scratches on the front of the trigger guard and a pencil eraser-size ding on the right side of the stock.

My total cost was $366 with shipping and transfer fee, That may have been to much, but I had been looking for some time and had not seen a 48 or 11-48 in anywhere near that good of shape for less.

16GAwaterfowler
PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2016 2:32 am  Reply with quote

Remington made several different grades in the 11-48 all of which are not the gun pictured in that auction, they had higher grades of Select, Tournament and Premier grade and a Skeet Grade gun. I don't believe any of them came with a recoil pad, that one in the auction has an add on which was put on to dress up the gun for eye appeal.
The vent rib usually brings 30 -40 % more depending on condition of the gun, still no way I would have paid over $900 for that 11-48, Premier Grade maybe but not that one.
16gaDavis
PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2016 6:30 am  Reply with quote

cycling issues !? when I got my 28 , the action spring was so heavy , I couldn't cock the gun !! a 30-06 couldn't make it go . Thought somebody had replaced it . SOOO , shortened the spring a little at a time till it would cycle skeet loads and still shut the action closed . When I decide to use heavier loads , a PVC shim is put at the receiver end to tighten the spring . It now works great to the chagrin of the prev owner !!

jon math
PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2016 11:47 am  Reply with quote

I was in my local gun shop a day ago and they still had one w/o the rib for $225.00 and I know they would take less as I purchased it’s mate last December for under $200.00. Nice guns but I could not spend $600.00 for one.

16 GA Stevens 235
16 GA Stevens 107-B
16 GA Winchester 1200
16 GA Remington 11-48
Jesse168
PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2016 12:10 pm  Reply with quote

Fellas I have several 16's and most are 11/48's. My best 11/48 is a beautiful vent rib with screw-in chokes. I have never had any problem with any 16 ga I own. The first 16 ga 11/48 I owned my Dad gave me for my 16th birthday. It was stolen in 1983. I found another and my wife bought it for me for a 25th wedding anniversary gift. That's the one with screw-in chokes. The only thing I haven't shot with a 16 ga is pheasants simply because there aren't any pheasants any where close to Memphis, Tn. Hope to remedy that by visiting kin folk close to Toledo, Ohio and go pheasant hunting with them before my time is up. I'm only 67 so I think I've got some time left. LOL
Jesse168

Researcher
PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2016 7:30 pm  Reply with quote

Quote:
the checkered wood indicates a Skeet gun grade Sportsman , reg wood has the annoying triangles ...

That pressed checkering pattern first appeared on the Model 11-48s in the 1964 Remington catalog and was used through the end in 1968. In those years the Model 11-48A "Standard" Grade had a plain grip, while the Model 11-48SA Skeet Gun had a grip cap. During the earlier periods from 1949 to 1963 the Model 11-48A "Standard" Grade --

and the Sportsman-'48A "Standard" grade --

had the machined checkering that Remington used on many guns throughout that period. The catalogs show the Model 11-48A "Standard" Grade without a grip cap and the Sportsman-'48A "Standard" Grade with a grip cap. Now 48 years later, who knows how many stocks have been swapped, replaced, had grip caps added.