16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Ammunition & Reloading  ~  Polywad inserts
QUAILSHOOTER
PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2016 4:13 pm  Reply with quote

Can the 16ga polywad insert be used with success in 12ga shells? I want to reload
some 12ga loads but do not want to buy more inserts.

Glenn
Dogchaser37
PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2016 5:00 pm  Reply with quote

Yes they can, just not sure how effective they will be. Give it a try and pattern a few.

16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2016 11:48 am  Reply with quote

Back in the day, the folks at Polywad recommended using 28 ga Poly wad inserts in 16 ga loads for less quickly spreading patterns to me during one of my phone inquiries about their product. I'll bet using 16 or 20 ga Polywads in a 12 ga load will produce similar results.

The Polywad pros also warned me that Polywad inserts work as designed only when the insert stem does not contact the bottom of the plastic shotcup when it is inserted into the shot column. If the stem is too long to avoid this, then simply snip a bit off the stem w/ a nail trimmer. Problem solved. Wink
QUAILSHOOTER
PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2016 1:30 pm  Reply with quote

Thank you gentlemen that was very helpful.

Glenn
Dogchaser37
PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2016 5:04 pm  Reply with quote

GG,

Did you try it to find out how the patterns were affected using the 28's in the 16?

Gil S
PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2016 6:53 am  Reply with quote

FWIW, Jay at Polywad told me recently that the the 20 gauge insert is the same as the 28 gauge insert.
UncleDanFan
PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2016 11:32 am  Reply with quote

I've wondered also how the 16's would work in a 12. Would love to hear results.

The man's prayer from the Red Green Show: "I'm a man, but I can change, if I have to. I guess."
16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2016 1:09 pm  Reply with quote

Dogchaser37 wrote:
GG,

Did you try it to find out how the patterns were affected using the 28's in the 16?

No I didn't pursue it DC. Primarily, I was looking to open up patterns from my 16 ga. AyA Matador w/ Mod/full barrels (more like IM/Extra full in actuality) for close in work. The 16 ga Polywad inserts did the trick nicely if I was careful in crafting my 7/8 and one ounce loads (careful insert placement, shortening the stem as needed, and excellent crimps). I had other loads w/o inserts which worked nicely at moderate to longer ranges, so I had no need.

However, The folks at Polywad also to me they found snipping equally placed bites out of the edges of the inserts w/ a nail clipper also helped modify the spreader effect. I think the folks w/ full or mod choke repeaters might find the info useful. I'd like to know how it works out myself if someone wishes to try using a smaller insert or snipping them a bit.
Dogchaser37
PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2016 1:10 pm  Reply with quote

I just picked up a 16 Gauge (of course) Hunter Special bored Mod/Full. I may eventually have the chokes opened but for now I wanted to open up the pattern on at least the modified barrel using Spred R's.

I think I am going use the 16 Gauge Spred R's and see what happens.

Opening up the pattern a little less would be great for the full barrel.

16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2016 3:10 pm  Reply with quote

Back in Florida quite a few years ago, I had access to some excellent quail and dove hunting on private land. My LT-20 1100 was my favorite gun for pass shooting dove, but it left a lot to be desired for flushing quail. It had a fixed choke VR mod barrel which tended to throw "bird burger" patterns at ranges less than 25 yards. I'd hit them well if I didn't have to think my way through a shot, but I couldn't hit squat if I had to pause and wait until the birds were out farther (further proof that if we think, we stink when it comes to wing shooting at least it is for me Embarassed ).

I tried loading several different X type spreader load inserts and spreader wads w/o much success. I also tried stacking card wads in the shot column, cutting petals off, flattened shot, etc. Nothing worked well. I don't think Polywad inserts were available at the time, and I never had a chance to try any. The solution came in the form of a used VR full choke barrel with a damaged muzzle which I got for very short money and cut back to 23.5 inches. Problem solved.

Years later when I had the chance to try the 16 ga Polywad inserts for opening up patterns in my AyA, I found the results were far superior to anything else I'd ever tried. I think you too will be very pleased w/ the results if you try them DC.