16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Ammunition & Reloading  ~  Best price on a MEC Grabber 16?
double vision
PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2016 4:09 pm  Reply with quote

Any leads on the lowest price for a MEC Grabber would be appreciated.

A couple months ago I made a deal with a local shop where I traded a couple 12 gauge shotguns for another 12 gauge shotgun and a 16 gauge MEC Grabber. That was the agreement. The shop is dragging it's feet because they can't find one at wholesale and they probably have some sticker shock even though I mentioned that it would be a $500 reloader. I have so many 16 gauge target loads loaded I have just been patient and have let them look. I know these guys, they've been good to me for a long time and I don't want to burn my bridge, but today I some pressure on them to find one. (going on 2.5 months!) One way I think could help speed things up is if I could find a good price and steer them in that direction.

Last edited by double vision on Tue Oct 11, 2016 5:02 pm; edited 1 time in total
skeettx
PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2016 4:45 pm  Reply with quote

I looked, if they were under $500 they were OUT OF STOCK
$532 seems to be the asking price.
Mike

double vision
PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2016 5:00 pm  Reply with quote

Thanks, Mike. Pretty much what I've seen, too.
hoashooter
PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2016 5:29 pm  Reply with quote

Looks like they need to ante up----you told them the price and they were unaware--
double vision
PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2016 5:47 pm  Reply with quote

They thought they could find one at wholesale.
rkittine
PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2016 5:42 am  Reply with quote

If they are a dealer, it is hard to believe that they can not find a wholesaler that either has one (one that specializes in reloading like Graf etc.) or is at least willing to order one. A call to MEC might result in finding our what distributor they last shipped one too. I do know that many dealers today stick with a select number of wholesalers because it is harder to set up an account then it was in the days when I had my gun shop, but there are big wholesalers that have formed by buying out locals ones like Simmons having added Bonitz Brothers, Jerrys, Dayton Outdoor Sports etc. into probably the biggest in the U.S. with lots of inventory.

Bob

16 Gauge O/U Browning 525 Sporting
16 Gauge SxS Rizzini Islide
16 Gauge Pump Browning BPS Upland
16 Gauge Semi-Auto Remington 1100 Sporting
popplecop
PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2016 1:30 pm  Reply with quote

As someone said why not call MEC. Some years ago I got my Sizemaster by driving over there and picking it up. Have 2 of them, one in 28 now. My Grabber came by a different route, but sounds like they are just dragging their feet.

16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2016 11:56 am  Reply with quote

MEC also offers reconditioned/used/old stock machines at a good discount from time to time. Plus, the machines they overhaul are usually adjusted to perfection. All one needs to do is tweak the settings a bit to suit the shell being used. Worth a phone call IMO.
rkittine
PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2016 6:40 am  Reply with quote

Also if you Search MEC Reloaders on eBay you will find a guy in Wisconsin that carries all the parts and refurbishes MECs. His prices are really low and he will do an existing machine for the owner, or also sells machines that he has refurbished including new paint etc. He will even set up the machine for you if you tell him what hull and recipe you will be loading.

I do not remember his eBay name off hand, but when you find a MEC ad with the picture being a peg board full of bags of new MEC replacement parts, that is him.

Bob

JNW
PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2016 8:30 pm  Reply with quote

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Mec-9000G-12-ga-reloader-2-3-4-3-inch-Refurbished-Dec-13th-2016-/142211208832?hash=item211c72d680:g:VqIAAOSw44BYL2uj

Looks like this is the man. Definitely worth getting to know this guy!
Jeff
rkittine
PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2016 6:13 am  Reply with quote

That is him. He is great. Depending on which Grabber (there are at least three iterations, some can be converted to 16. He might even have a rebuilt one in stock.

Bob

Griffon
PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2016 6:03 am  Reply with quote

I purchased a 16ga Grabber a couple of years ago.. great press. I had to do some looking but found one at Gamaliel. I would also agree that being a wholesaler they should be able to pick one up somewhere.
The only fault I found with the grabber is the primer tray. Mec went from metal to plastic. In the instructions it told you to spray the tray with furniture polish to help the primers slide, not a good sign. It takes a few coats and additional coats to keep the primers advancing. Strangely Winchesters stick Cheddites slide like their on snail snot, maybe because of metal comp. The problem is there but I suspect there will be no change due to plastic being cheaper. Don't know if the old trays are interchangeable.
Good Luck