16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Guns  ~  Are Winchester model 21 shotguns really worth the money?
16gaDavis
PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2016 7:28 am  Reply with quote

when I 1st joined a club , 2 guys took me under their wing . An ole geezer named Austin would teach me how to shoot skeet , and he always had a NICE M21 in 16 skI and skII . I didn't even like handling the gun because I knew it was WAY out of my league ! He has passed , and the mentor who got the gun has passed and I still think about it every now and again . I could shoot it well , but I'd rather have the Davis out on the prairie - just seems to belong better . (when it works)

fin2feather
PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2016 7:33 am  Reply with quote

AmericanMeet wrote:
First- Just being a Winchester doesn't have a great deal to do with the price; A model 24 can be purchased for a few hundred $$.

Model 24's seem to be the one Winchester gun that the name doesn't help.

I feel a warm spot in my heart when I meet a man whiling away an afternoon...and stopping to chat with him, hear the sleek lines of his double gun whisper "Sixteen." - Gene Hill, Shotgunner's Notebook
JonP
PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2016 12:35 pm  Reply with quote

I have never understood the fascination with the 21. Yes the grade guns can be impressive as far as the workmanship but that's collector territory and that's not my interest. The ones I have handled seemed heavy, even clunky and for me just not a working gun I would take to the grouse woods or walk the prairie with. As far as cost, I can buy two quality continental guns for what I would have to pay for a plain working 21...and i don't worry if my guild gun gets scratched up. But, if the gun pleases you, my opinion is worth little.
Winchester21
PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2016 4:59 pm  Reply with quote

Just to add to "fin2feather's" comment about the Winchester name not helping the Model 24 SxS: In my opinion the Model 24 was too basic and utilitarian, It had horrible lines and looked boxy and felt clumsy. They just felt bad to me. I'm sure that they probably worked well but if it doesn't feel and balance right, then I don't think you can shoot it well.
I'm sure that the owners of them will probably disagree with me, but that okay, we all have our opinions and preferences.
Too bad Winchester Model 23's weren't made in 16ga. I liked them and have been trying to get one in 20ga.
WyoChukar
PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2016 4:18 pm  Reply with quote

Dad had a 20ga. 2 barrel set. I remember shooting it a few times while he had it. He was very fond of the gun. I liked it too, but for the money I can have a nicer old Fox or Lefever. I like those guns even more.
Is the Mod 21 worth the price? That specifically depends on personal preference and perhaps some personal link to one. Nobody can answer that question for the buyer. We can only offer our biased insights for what they are. Personally I think there are other choices that are better handling and prettier per dollar spent.