16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Guns  ~  installing adjustable comb?
kennedy756
PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2016 5:35 pm  Reply with quote

who does it? need a link to some one to install an adjustable comb on my 16ga marlin mod 90. also should I go with a hard or soft comb? the gun fits me so no cheek slap, but I was thinking of comfort.

16ga Browning A-5 1929
16ga Marlin 90 1939
16ga browning citori lightning grade 3 2003
16ga Francisque Darne 1920
rkittine
PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2016 4:20 am  Reply with quote

I used to use Jim Olivant on Long Island. He was always great and reasonable, but of late he has had health issues, so I am not sure how consistent he may currently be.

I have also used Mark Deprez in the past and had great success with his work. He still advertises in the NSSA / NSCA Magazine and is upstate New York.

585-346-2425

deprez.mark@gmail.com

I am not a fan of soft combs as for me, the rigid gives me more consistent gun mount.

BTW, if the gun fits you well, why and adjustable comb to begin with? I have had some added only to find that I should have never moved the comb any further up. With regard to cast off if you need it, a good stock maker can bend your stock.

In any case, good luck. Bob

16 Gauge O/U Browning 525 Sporting
16 Gauge SxS Rizzini Islide
16 Gauge Pump Browning BPS Upland
16 Gauge Semi-Auto Remington 1100 Sporting
kennedy756
PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2016 5:03 am  Reply with quote

It only fits me with a higher comb, I have used the slip on kind and a plastic one, now I want a permanent one. You are correct in that before I spent the money I needed to make sure an adjustable comb was what I needed and it is.

16ga Browning A-5 1929
16ga Marlin 90 1939
RLR390
PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2016 1:05 pm  Reply with quote

Laib's Gunsmithing in Spicer MN has done hundreds of them. Excellent work. Not cheap, but IMO you get what you pay for.
browningsweet161977
PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2016 8:30 am  Reply with quote

Pm sent

Browning citori grade 6 28" 16 gauge
byrdog
PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2016 9:01 am  Reply with quote

Google- Wenig Gunstocks

If you take Cranberries and stew them like applesauce they taste much more like Prunes than Rhubarb does ----G.M/
Woody402
PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2016 4:49 am  Reply with quote

I would call Pete Hamann 1 (585) 259-0700

I recently had him put a soft comb on my Beretta skeet gun. He did an excellent job. I've also used Mark Deprez. He does excellent work also but is a bit more pricey. Plus Pete is a closer drive for me since both are local.
kennedy756
PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2016 5:00 am  Reply with quote

thanks, had it done by Tronspace

16ga Browning A-5 1929
16ga Marlin 90 1939
skeettx
PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2016 8:23 am  Reply with quote

http://www.tronspace.com/Pages/aboutus.aspx

http://www.tronspace.com/Pages/default.aspx

How did you decide on him?

kennedy756
PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2016 9:44 am  Reply with quote

I liked his pics, turn around time, and talking to him, price was about the same as others.

16ga Browning A-5 1929
16ga Marlin 90 1939
16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2016 11:47 am  Reply with quote

I had adjustable combs installed on both my competition trap guns years ago. The work was done by a fellow club member and friend, so the work was not expensive. However, my old friend passed away years ago, and prices for the work have gone up significantly since then. So I doubt I'd have it done to a field grade hunting or recreational target gun today.

I've found the relatively inexpensive self-adhering Kickeez cheek pads to work well enough for me if adjustments are needed. These pads come in several thicknesses and can be trimmed to suit. I have an 1/8th inch thick one on my Ithaca Model 37 in order to raise the comb height where it meets my cheek just enough to raise the gun's POI to suit my needs. The gun now puts pattern centers spot on for me. Good enough and easily replaced if I ever need to. So far so good for nearly a decade. The pad will probably last longer than me. Very Happy

I've seen a few hunting and less expensive target guns w/ molded on resin or silicone combs added to the stocks. I suspect a properly fitting model comb is first crafted of an easily molded and carved wood like balsa or from closed cell foam. The model is then used to create a mold or a form. Resin can also be carved and sanded to fit. Silicone can also be worked

If the closed cell foam is tough enough, then I'd probably just cover it with some synthetic leather and go w/ it. such a comb would probably hold up well enough for long enough and could also be replaced later on.

I'm just throwing this out there for anyone who needs to adjust their hunting gun stocks inexpensively. Hope the info helps.
kennedy756
PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2016 11:59 am  Reply with quote

16gaugeguy wrote:
I had adjustable combs installed on both my competition trap guns years ago. The work was done by a fellow club member and friend, so the work was not expensive. However, my old friend passed away years ago, and prices for the work have gone up significantly since then. So I doubt I'd have it done to a field grade hunting or recreational target gun today.

I've found the relatively inexpensive self-adhering Kickeez cheek pads to work well enough for me if adjustments are needed. These pads come in several thicknesses and can be trimmed to suit. I have an 1/8th inch thick one on my Ithaca Model 37 in order to raise the comb height where it meets my cheek just enough to raise the gun's POI to suit my needs. The gun now puts pattern centers spot on for me. Good enough and easily replaced if I ever need to. So far so good for nearly a decade. The pad will probably last longer than me. Very Happy

I've seen a few hunting and less expensive target guns w/ molded on resin or silicone combs added to the stocks. I suspect a properly fitting model comb is first crafted of an easily molded and carved wood like balsa or from closed cell foam. The model is then used to create a mold or a form. Resin can also be carved and sanded to fit. Silicone can also be worked

If the closed cell foam is tough enough, then I'd probably just cover it with some synthetic leather and go w/ it. such a comb would probably hold up well enough for long enough and could also be replaced later on.

I'm just throwing this out there for anyone who needs to adjust their hunting gun stocks inexpensively. Hope the info helps.

When I started this project a few months ago, I used temporary type slip on comb risers and they worked, so then decided to spring for a permanent type, your advice is good

16ga Browning A-5 1929
16ga Marlin 90 1939
16gaDavis
PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2016 5:45 pm  Reply with quote

Chris Vendel - CRV Custom guns ... check the website , prices should be on there