16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Guns  ~  16ga slug gun discussion
offhand35
PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2011 6:30 am  Reply with quote

This thread actually started in the For Sale/WTB section, but was beginning to grow into more than a WTB a cut off 16ga sxs for a slug gun project,

http://www.16ga.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=11666
so I decided to continue it here.

I am certainly aware of the need for accuracy in slug shooting. 100yds here in New England is long, and my longest shot at a deer so far is 55yds, my shortest was 5yds. This project is something I wanted to investigate. I did see that thread at doublegunshop, and have even looked at a purpose built 20ga sxs at CSMC with adjustable bbl regulation which is very nice at $3995.

I have 2 custom 16ga slug guns, plus 2 factory slug guns in 12ga, so I am not in a hurry to do this. I may actually have to go through several cut off 16g sxs's to find one that shoots at least parallel at 50yds, and indeed I may never find that one!

Below is a photo of 2 targets. the one on the left is from my custom Win Mdl 12 16ga 28" MOD slug gun shooting factory Rem 16ga Sluggers at 100yds, the target on the rt from my Mossberg mdl 190 custom cyl bore slug gun shooting BPI Dangerous Game slugs at 50yds.

I found an old photo of the Mdl 12 as I found it for $200 before I installed a corn cob forend and restocked it with a padded stock from gunstocksinc.
The LOP here is approx 12.5", and seems to be set up for some kind of competition. I couldn't find a photo of the Mossberg, I will post that when I do....

Last edited by offhand35 on Fri Sep 23, 2011 7:03 am; edited 1 time in total

offhand35
PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2011 6:49 am  Reply with quote

Some more recent images of the Win Mdl 12, 16ga slug gun. The buttstock is still not finished, though I hope to get some Tru-oil on it before shotgun deer season opens in Nov.

skeettx
PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2011 7:31 am  Reply with quote

Thanks for the pictures and the post

I wish you luck as you persue the wiley whitetail

Keep the reports coming
Mike
roundRiver
PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2011 4:12 pm  Reply with quote

I am trying to build a slug specific 16 too, but I am going the break action route. I saw a thread on building big bore break actions on single shot break actions that inspired me. I have the barrel and now I am looking for the right gun to modify. I would prefer to go the hammerless route like the old Savage 220 or the newer Baikal IZH-18 MAX (the trap model with the monte carlo stock would be ideal).

I have the ballistics roughly worked out for the ideal size slug and rifled barrel combo. Now I need to work on the correct shell (powder, wad, primer, slug) formula. Hopefully it will be ready by next year's opener.

roundRiver
offhand35
PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2011 1:01 pm  Reply with quote

roundRiver, where did you find a rifled 16ga slug bbl?

Well, It seems that when I start looking for something, it eventually turns up, though usually when I've run out of cash......
I just received a restocked 16ga Stevens 5100 cut off to 21" with some minor issues that will be resolved by a thorough cleaning and lube of the action. It looks promising, but the only way to tell will be to run some slugs through to see how the bbls are regulated.......................The action is indeed strong, and the stock should be able to take punishment from slugs.

I was working up a slug load for a 12ga Rem Mdl 11 with rifled Hastings bbl quite some time ago, and I made the mistake of leaving the gorgeous original stock on while doing that, when the stock cracked and chips started falling off near the receiver. This is pretty much why I did not pursue a GECO with 20" cyl/cyl bbls. That seemed a bit graceful and too delicate to do what I wanted.......

THEN, while perusing gb.com today I found a Parker VHE cut to 20 1/2" !!
Shocked

In my WTB posting I did note that they do turn up periodically, and you wonder , "Why did someone do that?" I'm not sure I was expecting to see a Parker show up though.......
That auction ends Sunday, and I'm thinking of scrambling to find the cash to bid on it.
Now IF that gun is regulated to 50yds or at least parallel to 50-80yds, that would make quite a "tiger gun".......

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=253689848

Dave in Maine
PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2011 1:39 pm  Reply with quote

If you go for that Parker as a slug gun, you may want to go out and invest in and attach a new stock right off the bat, so the head of the original one doesn't get battered to bits. Parkers are notorious for that, even when shooting only hunting loads.

Besides, it'd look great with a plastic buttstock Twisted Evil (kinda like painting fine pinstripes and flames on a Rolls), and no one will believe it's a Parker until they read the engraving.
offhand35
PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2011 3:55 pm  Reply with quote

Dave, thanks for the heads up re: the stock durability on the Parker. The ONLY thing I know about Parkers is that some consider them the finest ever made.
There is a shotgun expert here, locally, but I have been afraid ask about Parkers, as I might wind up walking out the door with one, like I did with the L C Smith that turned out I did not like so much later on........

The one gun I should have bought from him was his personal Model 21, 16ga, 26" with Briley chokes for $3800 a few years ago......

Is there something about Arizona and cut short 16ga shotguns? The 21" 5100 I just got came from Arizona, also.

bandmiller2
PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2011 4:42 am  Reply with quote

Offhand,good luck on your double slug gun quest,getting boath barrels to hit a bucket at 50 is usally a problem.Myself I would have the best barrel sighted for slug and the outher for its favorite buck load. Frank C.

offhand35
PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2011 3:49 pm  Reply with quote

OK, NOW I'm stoked!! I loaded up 25 BPI 16ga 1 oz. Dangerous Game Slugs with the fold crimp the recipe called for, and took off for an hour at the range with the Stevens 5100 16g, 21", BEAD sight. I'm posting photos of the gun, and then of my 2nd target.

VERY interesting, the RT bbl shoots a little left and the LT bbl shoots a little RT at 50yds. It looks like the barrels are regulated to approx. 40yds [?36 yds?]

These groups are with the BEAD sight only, 5 shots LT bbl, 50 rounds RT bbl, with a fold crimp that I was not really happy with as each crimp was a little different, especially between my LEE Load-ALL II and my MEC that is actually set up for 65mm hulls. I will have to try the same load with a roll crimp, for better consistency. Estimated fps is 1400 with the 1 oz. slug. This is a little heavy for the 16ga, but recoil is very manageable compared to my 12ga 1oz slugs @ 1600fps. It's amazing what 200 fps can do.

I will chrony this load with SR7625 some other time, but it was not my purpose today.

It looks like the 5100 is a good candidate for rifle sights !

Now I have a small dillemna. The seller of the 20.5" Parker 16ga is willing to ship to me on my C&R, but I was only entertaining the possibility of bidding on it if the 5100 shot wild. That however, is not the case........

riude
PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2016 9:54 am  Reply with quote

May I ask what is this recipe for DSG-16?
I have those slugs, but not recipe for them Sad