16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Guns  ~  Help with Ugartchea, please...
16'er
PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2016 3:21 pm  Reply with quote

Was shooting at the dog club today. In a moment of boneheadedness, I failed to place a new shell in the right hand barrel. So on the last bird of the day, I dropped the pin on an empty chamber... Doh! (got the bird with left barrel, though!). So I was walking back to the truck, and since I had the action open the whole time, I didn't notice that the action would not close... Grrrr.

So I popped the forearm off and broke down the gun to go home. So I guess I need to reset the cocking or injectors. I've had to do this on another gun, but it was a while ago, and it was a completely different set up.

I can fit the barrels to the action, but the forearm won't go. Or I can put the forearm on the barrels, off the action. I just can't get all three in to one working unit. I was kinda tired and hungry so I just decided not to mess with it much. Still kinda tired, and have learned not to mess with things of this nature when tired.

It's a Parker-Hale Model. Any help is appreciated! Thanks.
16'er
PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2016 5:39 pm  Reply with quote

Was able to hold the forearm tight down to the action and get the gun back together. Will see if all functions normally tomorrow.
16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2016 3:36 pm  Reply with quote

Any of us who own and shoot break opens have probably done the same thing at least once. I've done it w/ several of my SxS and O/U models. Click!!! OOPS!!! Shocked

However, I used to drop the pins on snap caps to uncock the strikers, then take the guns down for storage w/ the springs relaxed. Never had a problem re-assembling the guns and re-cocking the strikers as I recall. Some of the forends were a bit resistant, but they all went together if I held my mouth right while I muttered nasty words. Laughing

Let's hope you didn't peen the firing pin. I did exactly that on a Winchester Diamond Grade 101 trap gun years ago. Luckily, the replacement pins were readily available, not very expensive (which is no longer true), and went right in w/o any problems. But still, it taught me a lesson to be careful. Too bad it didn't take. Click!!! OOPS!!! Shocked
16'er
PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2016 5:24 pm  Reply with quote

Gun functioned fine yesterday. All is well...
16gaDavis
PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2016 8:47 am  Reply with quote

obviously , you've been using other guns also . It's amazing what a gun will do just to grab a little more attn. from it's owner !! happens to me all the time .

16'er
PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2016 6:37 pm  Reply with quote

16gaDavis wrote:
obviously , you've been using other guns also . It's amazing what a gun will do just to grab a little more attn. from it's owner !! happens to me all the time .

Actually, I've settled in to the Uggie this season. Even took it out for doves. After the little mishap, I was worried I would have to ship it out for service. Perhaps this Spanish double was just reminding me how much I have grown to rely on her. Playing coy to keep my attention as it were... Wink
dannypratt
PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2016 9:12 am  Reply with quote

I think you've got it all wrong...

Your building your confidence in the gun after its minor mishap. But in the back of your head you know it's probably not quite right. It's just on the brink of being a major issue. Add to that it's a Parker - Hale distributed Ugartechea, so there is a small nagging possibility that it contains specially made firing pins per Parker - Hale's request. If that is the case, and it's nearly a for sure, you'll have a devil of a time finding replacements. This could risk your season completely, or worse, the next magnificent rooster that lifts up in front of you will recieve the empty click of a broken firing pin instead of the #5s that pattern so well from the left barrel. Or maybe it was the right barrel that had that empty click a few hunts past...can't remember now...is it possible you could have damaged both firing pins from trying to force it shut. Possibly the ejector mechanism has become bent from undue stress when you forced it together, that would be an expensive fix.....

I think the best course of action is to simply free your self of that Parker-Hale. I've got a spot on my "look but don't rely on" rack here in my home office. I'll take care to see its oiled monthly and downs imaginary birds crossing my office window. After all, it can't be used in the field anymore. You just can't trust it.

skeettx
PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2016 9:22 am  Reply with quote

Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
I REALLY enjoy this site
Mike

16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2016 12:20 pm  Reply with quote

dannypratt wrote:
I think you've got it all wrong...

Your building your confidence in the gun after its minor mishap. But in the back of your head you know it's probably not quite right. It's just on the brink of being a major issue. Add to that it's a Parker - Hale distributed Ugartechea, so there is a small nagging possibility that it contains specially made firing pins per Parker - Hale's request. If that is the case, and it's nearly a for sure, you'll have a devil of a time finding replacements. This could risk your season completely, or worse, the next magnificent rooster that lifts up in front of you will recieve the empty click of a broken firing pin instead of the #5s that pattern so well from the left barrel. Or maybe it was the right barrel that had that empty click a few hunts past...can't remember now...is it possible you could have damaged both firing pins from trying to force it shut. Possibly the ejector mechanism has become bent from undue stress when you forced it together, that would be an expensive fix.....

I think the best course of action is to simply free your self of that Parker-Hale. I've got a spot on my "look but don't rely on" rack here in my home office. I'll take care to see its oiled monthly and downs imaginary birds crossing my office window. After all, it can't be used in the field anymore. You just can't trust it.

I think you rushed into this one Danny. We all know the 1st fibber around here doesn't stand a chance. Laughing
16'er
PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2016 6:08 pm  Reply with quote

Loaded a box of 65mm spreader loads for the Simson tonight. Two can play coy...
grousepointer16
PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2016 5:42 pm  Reply with quote

dannypratt
I think the Parker Hale would be more at home next to my Anschutz Ugartechea