16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Ammunition & Reloading  ~  New IMR powders?
WyoChukar
PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2016 4:41 pm  Reply with quote

I see Chris Hodgon has further complicated our lives by intruding a whole new line of powders under the IMR banner after discontinuing old favorites like PB and 4756. The website says nothing yet as to how close the new powders are to the old stuff.
It would be nice if one of them is the same as 4756 with perhaps a little cleaner burn or something. I am not holding my breath. Realistically, it would appear that they are copying Alliant. The names IMR Red, Green, Unequal, and Blue sure seem to be pointing that way.
Anyone know the real scoop? This all makes me wonder how much longer 700-x and 800-x will be around now.

AmericanMeet
PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2016 9:11 pm  Reply with quote

I'm still upset with Hodgdon since they discontinued H205.
Dogchaser37
PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2016 8:09 am  Reply with quote

I miss SR7625 more than I thought I would.

jschultz
PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2016 2:43 pm  Reply with quote

I miss SR4756.
silverhawk
PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2016 3:18 pm  Reply with quote

4756?? I had it on my shopping list. (didnt know it was gone) Have 6lbs of PB Whats next..Longshot?? Then I will really be lost
silverhawk
PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2016 3:21 pm  Reply with quote

WOW..getting old. Just made a quick search for Red Dot and Green Dot and some of my anxieties were quieted
WyoChukar
PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2016 4:26 pm  Reply with quote

New isn't always bad but there is a reason we resist change, especially when it comes to shotshell powders. Due to the sheer volume of load combinations with lead, steel, and other shot types, waiting for new data to cover all of our needs/ desires certainly can be painful. Sometimes it never comes at all if the application isn't popular enough. Many 16 ga. loads and my favorite 10 ga. steel load come to mind. The announcement makes me uneasy.

silverhawk
PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2016 4:34 pm  Reply with quote

Now theres the heart of the matter. Especially for us 16 gaugers. I remember when Cheddite hulls were first on the scene along with some of the BP wads. I sat artound scratching my head for a suitable list of candidate recipes
JNW
PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2016 6:47 pm  Reply with quote

I don't need any more powders. I need more of what they make already!
IMR Red - already have Red Dot, 700X, Clays and Clay Dot. Give me more Clay Dot.
IMR Green - Green Dot, International Clays, American Select. All great powders.
Unequal - stupid name. Universal Clays, Unique, 20/28, 800X. These all work well.
IMR Blue- Blue Dot, Herco, Long Shot.
If I was going to look at new powders I would look to Vectan as there is apparently no shortage in their supply line. I don't understand why any powder company wants to introduce new products when they can't keep up with the demand for current powders, unless these new products will be produced faster and cheaper.
My thoughts,
Jeff
WyoChukar
PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2016 10:04 pm  Reply with quote

I just looked things over on the Hodgon site and what I noticed does not make sense. The data for the new powders is showing up and what I looked at was precisely the same as listed for the Alliant equivalents in the Alliant manual. I.e. Blue Dot and IMR Blue, Green Dot and IMR Green, Unique and IMR Unequal.
Please tell me that Hogdon didn't just buy out Alliant and now controls the future of those offerings too. If Hogdon did not buy the company then how do they get away with blatantly copying the powders? Why would they offer a product that already exists? And for heaven's sake how is it that they expect to keep up with demand when they have enough trouble keeping up with their existing enterprises? Are both product lines perhaps sourced from a contract supplier?
At least it appears that we may be able to use old data.

Lon
PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2016 4:50 pm  Reply with quote

I was curious about the new IMR powders too. So, I emailed Hodgdon/IMR and got this prompt response:

Here is a response from our Product Line Manager.

"The new IMR series of shotshell/pistol powders are quite similar to the burn speeds of Alliant. The difference lies in the performance, and the ingredients of the powders. First, the shotshell powders of Alliant have been around for a long time, so we decided to closely match bulk density so reloaders would not have to buy new bushings. Second the burn speeds are close enough that much shotshell load data is the same, but, always use the data as we show it on our website and reloading guides, as there are differences, and we do not want the reloader to make a mistake. In pistol, data is entirely different because we designed these powders to produce more for lesser charge weights, on average, than the similar burn speed Alliant powders. Now, because of the ingredients in these propellants, they are green to the environment, and very, very clean burning, totally unlike the similar Alliant burn speeds. These powders provide consistency from lot to lot and shot to shot, not found in other brands of shotshell and pistol propellants. Metering is smooth and accurate. It is what the reloader has come to expect from the Legendary Line of IMR Propellants."

RR

Mike Van Dyke
Customer Service Representative
Hodgdon Powder Company
6430 Vista Drive
Shawnee, Ks. 66218
913-362-9455 Ext. 109

Whether these statements are true or just marketing hype I can not say without extensive testing. However, if they are true, this could be an exciting time for us shotshell reloaders.

Lon

www.lonlauber.com
WyoChukar
PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2016 6:48 pm  Reply with quote

Gotta love that part about what reloaders have come to expect from the "Legendary Line of IMR Propellents". What we came to expect was that when we found a great product that most of us liked, it wouldn't be flushed down the crapper after someone came along and took over the competition.
I guess we shall wait and see what happens with this new stuff. For now the good news is that anyone needing one of the Alliant/IMR twins has better odds of at least finding one of them on the shelf! That part is comforting. The flip side of course is that if Hogdon succeeds in pulling enough business away from Alliant, Alliant may drop their product line. Let's hope not.

Dogchaser37
PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2016 4:19 am  Reply with quote

Hodgdon pulling PB, SR7625, SR4756, etc has been coming for a long time. Late 1990's there were rumors that it was getting expensive to make, and the price hikes followed. People found alternatives, I know I started using more Universal and less SR7625.

700-X and 800-X are safe, at least that is what Hodgdon is saying.

There is a YouTube video out about 30 minutes long with Chris Hodgdon explaining stuff.