16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Guns  ~  New Sweet Sixteen disappointment
fn16ga
PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2016 9:16 am  Reply with quote

Well I received my New Sweet 16 yesterday . Was very happy with the gun, handles great, nice wood with some figure . Took it out of the case , peeled the sticker off the barrel . Pulled the bolt out to see if it needed any lube , lightly lubed the rails , put it back together and assembled the gun . Walked outside put 3 shells in the gun , made sure they extracted and everything functioned , short of firing it. . Every thing good ready for tomorrow morning .

Excited to try it out this morning on a quick snipe hunt. Got out of the truck, put my vest on & shells loaded , loaded the gun . Step off into woods and decided to do a function test . First shot , shell did not eject , still in the chamber . WT% . Long story short the exactor broke . Got back in the truck went home .

Called Browning , of course they said send them the gun, the exactor is a restricted part , has to be fitted. They could not just ship the part , 6-8 weeks for repair , hunting season over by then.

But I was persistent , after talking to a couple of the staff , I got the parts manager Josh on the phone and he agreed to shipped me , over night , the whole bolt head with extractor installed , cool . I should be back in business tomorrow, and ready for a dove hunt Saturday .

So it worked out good so far , hoping it doesn't happen again. We shall see.
dukxdog
PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2016 12:50 pm  Reply with quote

Sounds like good customer service.

"A gun should be a thing of beauty, something which gives its owner pride and pleasure. For that reason, most men will buy the best gun they can afford. With a good gun on his arm, a man becomes a sporting gentleman, both on the field and off."
double vision
PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2016 1:06 pm  Reply with quote

Geeze Mark, that's a bummer! Glad they got on it for you.
skeettx
PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2016 1:48 pm  Reply with quote

OK, my take on new guns

The chambers are like cast iron skillets, they need to be seasoned.
So the first few shells get a light supply of low temp grease on the hulls.
This will make less contact friction on the chamber walls and infuse some lubricant into the chamber.

Helps on shotguns and is especially valuable for 22 semi-autos.

Mike

The lube I use is garage door opener gear grease Smile
I have a buddy who installs openers Shocked

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Garage-Door-Opener-LM-Drive-Gear-Grease-Compatible-With-Sears-Part-41A2817-/291378313605?hash=item43d7803985:g:lj0AAOSwwpdW8zIo

Gil S
PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2016 2:13 pm  Reply with quote

The hunt was cursed because you were snipe hunting. Same thing happened to me 5 or six years ago with a just delivered Model 37 Ithaca 28 gauge. I picked it up at my LGS, drove 50 miles to the snipe fields and it wouldn't extract fired shells. Ithaca remedied the problem and all shipping costs were paid by them. Gil
browningsweet161977
PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2016 3:56 pm  Reply with quote

Sounds like you need to just send me your two new 16s and go back to your old school guns.I hate it you are trying to modernize on your guns and they are bucking you Mark Laughing

Browning citori grade 6 28" 16 gauge
Black Belt
PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2016 8:29 pm  Reply with quote

Fn16ga: did you make certain the the parts guys understood that you have a 16ga A5 and not a 12? The forend on my gun is cracking and they told me last week that they didn't have any parts for the new sweet yet so just be aware before installing to make sure the bolt head fits.

Also, how were you able to get your bolt apart? Mine and Dave's both have some sort of rolled piex of steel that is retaining the firing pin instead of a pin as the manual states and as the 12ga's do.

Best of luck with you new sweet and hope you enjoy it. I love mine and have beet pounding the rabbits with it. Let us know your thoughts once you are up and running!
fn16ga
PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2016 4:17 am  Reply with quote

Black Belt wrote:
Fn16ga: did you make certain the the parts guys understood that you have a 16ga A5 and not a 12? The forend on my gun is cracking and they told me last week that they didn't have any parts for the new sweet yet so just be aware before installing to make sure the bolt head fits.

Also, how were you able to get your bolt apart? Mine and Dave's both have some sort of rolled piex of steel that is retaining the firing pin instead of a pin as the manual states and as the 12ga's do.

Best of luck with you new sweet and hope you enjoy it. I love mine and have beet pounding the rabbits with it. Let us know your thoughts once you are up and running!

Black Belt thanks, I did tell him it was a Sweet 16 and Josh said they had the parts . I am hoping it is the right part when it arrives.

Yes the pin that holds the firing pin in is a roll pin and is not as easy to remove as they show in their video . I do have roll pin punches and was able to get out without any problems . Before I took it apart I did noticed the firing pin did not have any spring tension on it , which I thought was odd. Once I did get the firing pin out there wasn't a return spring on it. Not sure if this is right , but I will call them again today to confirm.

If one you guys wouldn't mind pulling your bolt out of the gun and check to see if yours has any spring tension on it I would appreciate it .
fn16ga
PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2016 4:34 am  Reply with quote

On a better note, I decided to go back out to try and cheer myself up yesterday afternoon for a quick hunt . In about an hours time I saw 6 birds , shot at 2 of them and got them both .

A good end to the day .

Last edited by fn16ga on Thu Dec 29, 2016 12:16 pm; edited 1 time in total
double vision
PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2016 5:50 am  Reply with quote

Mark, nice going on the birds and getting your bolt apart. I didn't have the right punch, so I gave it a half-hearted attempt with what I had. Glad to hear it's doable. Both mine and Jason's appear to have no spring tension on the firing pin. Let us know what you find out on this. Mine (and Jason's) seem to function fine without the spring, so maybe that's just how the SW16's are??
fn16ga
PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2016 6:18 am  Reply with quote

Dave Erickson wrote:
so maybe that's just how the SW16's are??
That's what I am thinking , I will let you know what they say .

That's for checking the spring tension.
Black Belt
PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2016 7:17 am  Reply with quote

Thanks for the response, Mark! I look forward to reading what you find out from Browning. I wonder if the 12ga firing pin retaining pin would work on these?

Like Dave said, neither of us seem to have a return spring on our firing pins. Must just be a simplifying of the design.
fn16ga
PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2016 5:22 pm  Reply with quote

Browning came through for me, they ended up sending me the whole bolt assembly ,slid it back in and I am ready to go . Very happy with Brownings service . Very Happy Very Happy
I am hoping to go out and test fire it sometime tomorrow.

BTW Josh said the SWT 16s do not have the firing pin spring .

Gil , I am sure glad I didn't have to drive 50 miles to find out my gun was broke , must be those woodoo snipe .

Joe , I know those new fangled guns will get you ever time , but thanks for your concern .

Laughing
browningsweet161977
PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2016 5:34 pm  Reply with quote

I always thought if you was ever able to stop by my place and go shoot I would let you shoot one of my 525s. But your ruff on newer guns so you have been demoted to the old stevens side by side now. Laughing

Browning citori grade 6 28" 16 gauge
putz463
PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2016 3:03 am  Reply with quote

fn16ga, glad Browning is taking care of the situation for you & nice way to vent some steam by chasing a couple Doodles. I cant see enough of the gun under them. My favorite shotgun platform is O/U + DT's and that is one sweet looking machine. What is it?