16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Guns  ~  The jinx is over
fn16ga
PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2016 12:35 pm  Reply with quote

Last edited by fn16ga on Fri Dec 30, 2016 12:42 pm; edited 2 times in total
fn16ga
PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2016 12:37 pm  Reply with quote

Killed 2 birds out of this thick stuff . Killed 5 birds total , couldn't find 1 of them ( I really hate that ) 5 shots , 5 birds fell. I really like this gun ! Very Happy

Dove hunt tomorrow Laughing

Last edited by fn16ga on Fri Dec 30, 2016 2:56 pm; edited 3 times in total
skeettx
PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2016 1:17 pm  Reply with quote

YEEEEE HAWWWWW
Great report

Happy New Year

Mike

Cheyenne08
PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2016 2:44 pm  Reply with quote

fn16, good shooting! Damn, that is some rough terrain that you had to go through, I couldn't do it anymore.

The more I see of the new SW16's the better I like them.

To me that grip on them reminds me a whole Hell of a lot to a Thompson Contender Encore Rifle.

Anybody here notice that?

Thanks for the pictures.

Dale

...Andrew Jackson...
fn16ga
PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2016 4:52 pm  Reply with quote

Thanks , Mike and Dale . The Sweet Sixteen is a joy to carry , I probably walked a good 3 - 3 1/2 miles . It is very quick and shoots where I am looking . I don't like the grip , it's like others have said too tight also I find it feels to fat . Not sure want I,ll do about that if anything.

I test fired it at the truck, first with some factory Federal 1oz loads and they did not function the gun . Then I tried my 1 oz 1185 fps reloads and they functioned perfectly , so that's what I used . When I got back to the truck I tried the Federals again and they worked about have the time . Maybe it just needs a little break in time. ???
double vision
PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2016 6:17 pm  Reply with quote

Nice going, Mark! Seems everyone who is shooting them is shooting them quite well. Wonder what's up with the Federal 1 oz loads? I've only shot 11 of the Herter's 1 1/8 oz loads so far. Seems to like them.

Man you are in a different world down there! I did a day trip to northern Iowa today and there were snow drifts along the road in places taller than my truck. My spots with the best cover are blown full and look like the landscapes on the moon. I tried, but there's just too much snow. It's done for the year. Crying or Very sad
wj jeffery 16
PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2016 5:26 pm  Reply with quote

Good shooting and great photos ,glad the new guns working out Happy new year just gone midnight hear guys heading to bed .WJ.
fn16ga
PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2016 7:48 pm  Reply with quote

wj jeffery 16 wrote:
Good shooting and great photos ,glad the new guns working out Happy new year just gone midnight hear guys heading to bed .WJ.

wj jeffery 16 , thanks HAPPY NEW YEAR !!

And it is one dam fine dove shooting machine also .
double vision
PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2016 9:02 pm  Reply with quote

Mark, we need details after a slaughter like that! Is yours a 26" or 28"? What load and choke were you using? Shooting impressions?
fn16ga
PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2017 6:27 am  Reply with quote

Dave, My gun has a 28' barrel . I really love the way this gun shoots for me , It shoots where I am looking , so straight out of the box it fits me very well . My friend that was with me made a couple of comments about out how far I was reaching out there , maybe because I was knocking them out of the sky before they got to him.Laughing I'd say most shots where between 20-40 yards maybe a little farther. I had the modified choke in , which in my gun is .010 constriction ( my bore measures.665 ) and was using one my loads 1oz of # 7 1/2 at 1185fps . I always have a hard time hitting these little sky missiles, it took me 35 shells ( with not one malfunction )to get my limit which is very good for my when shooting dove.

To say I like this gun is a huge understatement , so far the little bit that I have hunted with this gun , I,ve killed birds in fairly thick to open country and had zero problems with the way it handles.

I also ran a few Factory Remington 1oz loads through it and they worked the action fine.
double vision
PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2017 7:04 am  Reply with quote

Mark, thanks! I greatly appreciate the feedback. I've still only shot mine 11 times at 3 streaking cottontails while bundled up like the Stay-Puft Marshmallow Man, so I haven't really begun to flesh mine out. Black Belt has taken quite a few rabbits with his and he's reported that the mod choke had really ground them up at longer range, so he's backed off to the DS LM choke.

Glad you like yours. I also like mine a lot. it's not the end-all shotgun for me because I have others I also adore and I suspect you feel the same, but it's a great choice when you want to go light and have some punch.
fn16ga
PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2017 7:37 am  Reply with quote

Dave Erickson wrote:
it's not the end-all shotgun for me because I have others I also adore and I suspect you feel the same, but it's a great choice when you want to go light and have some punch.

There will never be an end-all shotgun for me as I can't imagine just shooting one gun . I think the new SWT16 is so versatile that with the right ammo could be that one gun some people .

BTW , I did get a double on dove with it yesterday.

Do you know what Black Belts" L/M measures ? The one I bought is .009 and my Mod is .010 so I see no sense in keeping it and am sending it back . My I/C measures .006 , which is the one I used for snipe .

My I/M is .025 , L/F is .036 & Full is .045

Last edited by fn16ga on Sun Jan 01, 2017 9:08 am; edited 1 time in total
double vision
PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2017 8:53 am  Reply with quote

Mark, we didn't measure his LM.

The bore on mine is .001 larger than Black Belt's and my IC, M, and IM go .007, .011, and .026 respectively. Quite a gap between the M and IM. I'm very curious to see what the pattern board says!
double vision
PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2017 8:56 am  Reply with quote

I'm also curious about the DS Skeet choke. If that one is wide open it would be useful for ruffed grouse and woodcock.