16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Guns  ~  Sweet 16 Problems
flyline
PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2017 6:23 pm  Reply with quote

I received my 26" version about 2 1/2 weeks ago. I cleaned, lubed, and assembled and headed to the range to shoot a round of sporting clays. I was using Herters 1 oz. loads, as well as some home brewed 7/8 oz. Cheddite/Green Dot loads. The first few shots I got some stove piping that continued for about a dozen or so, and then it settled down. No problems cycling any of the factory or reloads. Took it dove/quail hunting Tuesday and only had a chance at some passing by doves, and used some RGL 1 oz. downing a lonely dove. So far, so good. Gun shoots well and feels great as long as I do my part.

Then, yesterday, I was shooting another round of clays and after four or five stations, I heard a weird noise after a shot and looked down and the charging arm/operating handle was gone. Looked all over with four people and never found it. Called their customer service # when I got home and talked with "JJ" who was very helpful, but said I had to talk to the parts department and they were closed. Called this AM and message said due to large amounts of orders to ship, they were closed today to catch up and to call back Monday. Hopefully they'll be able to ship me out a new piece so I can continue my break in. I'm mostly an over/under guy and have 3 Citori 16 ga. that are my go to, but wanted one of these for quail/dove here in AZ to compliment my BUL 20ga.

Overall, I'm not disappointed, as I understand with any new product there is a chance for some hiccups. Just thought I'd pass my experience along.
grouser47
PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2017 2:52 pm  Reply with quote

Did you have the bolt out? Some shooters had difficulty with Benelli's & VersaMax -- they didn't get the charging handle back in properly -- best to give it a tap to insure it goes back into place.

flyline
PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2017 6:19 pm  Reply with quote

No, g47, I didn't have the bolt out. I could understand that, if I had. I'll certainly make sure the replacement, when they get it to me, will be firmly in. By the way, I checked on Browning's site to see how much they charged for one, and I think it was around $28. They sure are proud of little hunks of metal......