16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Guns  ~  Ithaca 37
peckerheadernie
PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2017 1:31 pm  Reply with quote

Just bought a pre war (21xxx) 16 gauge Ithaca 37R with a 30" full choke barrel. The shotgun is in very nice condition and some of you may have seen it on gunbroker. Was told it had an old Hawkins pad, which it had and that the LOP was 13 3/8. It actually measured 13", so about 2" of the stock was cut. I have added a leather wrap on pad which gets it to 13 1/2". I doubt I could find a stock to match so would a 12 gauge stock fit? Hoping to find a rough gun with an original stock that I could switch. 12 gauge would increase my chances but I don't want it if won't work.
wellshooter
PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2017 7:15 pm  Reply with quote

Check this out. It says the 16 ga. M37 stock is discontinued but another listing for 12/16 gauge. Might call them. Stocks are rough finished they need sanding and whatever finish you want. Be worth a call to find out.

I got a M31 butt stock from them and tru-oiled it. Turned out nice.

http://www.gunstocksinc.com/web_pages/Plate-pics/Ithaca-Stocks/Itaca-stocks.htm

16 ga. Citori White Lightning
3- 16 ga. Remington M 31's
16 ga. Ithaca M 37 Featherlight
peckerheadernie
PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2017 7:20 pm  Reply with quote

Thank you. Will check it out.
byrdog
PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2017 11:22 am  Reply with quote

http://www.gunpartscorp.com/ad/197490.htm#812450

good deal here

If you take Cranberries and stew them like applesauce they taste much more like Prunes than Rhubarb does ----G.M/
peckerheadernie
PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2017 11:54 am  Reply with quote

Thank you for that info
drcook
PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 10:20 am  Reply with quote

A 12 ga stock will Not fit without quite a bit of work. The 3 Ithaca receivers (12,16,20) differed in the height of the receiver. There is a little over a 1/16" difference (IIRC) (could be an 1/8" it has been a while since I measured it and I simply don't remember at this point).

If you want to turn it into a shooter, get a block of walnut and glue an extension on to bring it back to length.

Lacking that, watch eBay for 16ga stocks.

OR,

if you can be patient a while, I probably have a late 50's 16ga stock I could sell or trade (depending on the condition of the rest of that stock).

the problem is that I just had shoulder surgery on the 5th and I am not going to go digging through my stuff and putting a coat of lacquer on the wood (I think I was rehabbing/restoring it) (hard enough typing, I go see the dr on the 18th)

be aware, that the drop on the pre-wars is different than on the post wars. Some find them better to shoot.

those stocks that have been cut down make excellent youth / ladies stocks. while I was still actively restoring/building for my wife and kid (Ithaca 37 16's) I would grab cut up ones whenever I could.

peckerheadernie
PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 11:24 am  Reply with quote

Thank you very much for your response. After shooting with the leather recoil pad, it seems to fit me at 13 1/2", plus the leather pad is kind of classy looking.
16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 2:04 pm  Reply with quote

I'm betting far less than 2" was cut. These older Model 37 pumps have shorter OEM factory stocks and more drop to comb than modern stocks. Most are under 14" unless they are custom. It's why so many folks have trouble with them until they monkey with the fit. But once the stocks are fitted, the guns shoot spot on. At least mine does.
peckerheadernie
PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 3:01 pm  Reply with quote

I've got some 50's 37's, and although they are smooth this one seems even smoother.
BarkeyVA
PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 7:11 pm  Reply with quote

Pretty sure I recall that Nick Hammack recommended shooting a shorter stock. I shoot my 12 ga. Model 90 with a 13-3/4" stock as well or better than my other guns, many of which have 14-1/4 to 14-1/2" stocks. (I am 5'10" with 34-35" sleeve length.)

dannypratt
PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 7:19 pm  Reply with quote

PHE:
Your a gun hound and you know it! You can't pass up a classic, I know, you told me! Good find! How do you like the Vent rib?

B-Va: How's that A5, I'm betting it smokes the clays!

16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 2:21 pm  Reply with quote

BarkeyVA wrote:
Pretty sure I recall that Nick Hammack recommended shooting a shorter stock. I shoot my 12 ga. Model 90 with a 13-3/4" stock as well or better than my other guns, many of which have 14-1/4 to 14-1/2" stocks. (I am 5'10" with 34-35" sleeve length.)

LOP and the drop to comb and heel (how much slant the comb has) are relative. Both must be factored in together or gun fit may not be right for the owner.

Guns with more drop to comb and heel (more slant along the comb) might need a shorter LOP so the cheek is further up in order to raise the eye and align it with the rib or barrel (or vice versa). But LOP must be right for the shooter as well. W/o both, consistent wing shooting is difficult and uncomfortable if not impossible.

Shooting with your shoulder hunched forward too much to compensate for a stock with an excessively short LOP is uncomfortable and leads to inconsistent placement of your cheek on the comb (not consistently aligning your shooting eye w/ the rib or barrel). Felt recoil is usually increased. Head lifting can result as well.

A stock w/ overly long LOP can cause the shooter to stretch forward or crawl forward on the stock in order to properly align his eye w/ the rib or barrel. Felt recoil is also increased here as well, so head lifting can also result. Overly long stocks also hang up on our clothing.

The best stock fit is one which has both the right relative LOP and drop to comb, so firmly and comfortably aligning the shooting eye w/ the rib or barrel is quick, easy, and does not require the shooter to contort his body in order to mount the gun. Less felt recoil helps eliminate head lifting. A more comfortable gun mount adds up to smoother, quicker, more consistent move, mount, shoot type wing shooting in my experience. Hope my input helps.