16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Ammunition & Reloading  ~  CB 0078-16 wad in straight walled hulls
fn16ga
PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2016 9:30 pm  Reply with quote

mike campbell wrote:
For hunting loads how about getting a couple hundred once-fired RGL's. People complain about the tedium of loading RGL's but have no compunction about jumping through hoops to make a mis-matched wad work in another hull. Take a little extra trouble to get that wad started in an RGL and you'll wind up being rewarded with a superb shell.

Amen !
double vision
PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2016 5:32 am  Reply with quote

Been wondering where you've been, Mike. Glad to see you're still kicking!
JNW
PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2016 5:54 am  Reply with quote

Thanks for the comments. If all I needed were a couple boxes of hunting loads the RGLs would be okay to reload, but I want to load up 5 or 6 flats for targets.
Regards,
Jeff
fn16ga
PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2016 6:54 am  Reply with quote

As long as you are not using any of the ball powders I think you will be fine especially for target loads.

How are liking the new 525 ? I shot 300 rounds at sporting targets through mine a couple weeks ago , first impression , still undecided . I'll know more after I get a few thousand through it, which won't be till after hunting season.

Last edited by fn16ga on Fri Dec 16, 2016 1:47 pm; edited 1 time in total
JNW
PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2016 7:21 am  Reply with quote

I like it very much.
Roadkill
PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2016 7:29 pm  Reply with quote

For me, the CB0078 is the best wad out there for the RGL hull, a hull that I used to despise - but no longer! It still does not offer a long reloading life, but none of the current crop of hulls are all that great in that respect.
16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2016 1:36 pm  Reply with quote

Do get me wrong guys. My #1 choice has always been the RGL hull for light hunting and target loads. It's proven to be the best one for my 3/4 and 7/8 ounce loads. I also use it for all of my 1 ounce and some of my 1-1/8 ounce hunting loads. It's easy to get, and lasts long enough (one to three reloadings) if I don't try to over-crimp it.

However, I've been steadily using only Remington R16 and SP16 wads (because I have a lifetime supply or two Laughing) in my RGL loads. I have used WW 16AA one ounce wads in RGL hulls in the past (although the shot cups are deeper than needed). The WW wads work okay for moderate velocity 1 ounce loads. However, I find the Remington R16 wad is a better choice for faster 1 ounce hunting loads, and the SP16 wads are a better overall choice for any 1-1/8 ounce loads in the RGL hulls. My resulting crimps are better formed and stay closed, because the Remington wads aren't as long and as springy as the WW wads.

However, the OP asked about using Claybuster wads in Cheddite type straight walled hulls. It's Christmas time. Let's not "Scrooge" him. Let's give him a break and some useful info. Thanks. Laughing
BigCreekMI
PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2016 2:58 pm  Reply with quote

When it comes to most straight walled hulls, I use the SG16 exclusively. Exception being the RGL (Rem black) hulls where the Rem wads are best. As for the Win CF, I like the old blue Win wad. I have a nice supply of all, so no need to force fit anything and no powder migration issues, no leading issues, etc.

mike campbell
PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2016 9:15 pm  Reply with quote

. Rolling Eyes

Last edited by mike campbell on Fri Jul 26, 2019 11:08 am; edited 2 times in total
WyoChukar
PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2016 4:30 pm  Reply with quote

I have plenty of Rem 16 wads. What I don't have is enough RGL's to be worth screwing with. Once my collection of those builds to sufficient levels I will include them back into the rotation.
For now I have 500+ WW CF hulls and 1000+ Cheddites and Feds. The CB pink wads hold 1 oz. of shot perfectly in the straight wall hulls. With pre-flared wads and 800-x for the 1 oz. loads I have zero trouble.
Truth is that I wouldn't mind having a zillion RGL's to go with as issued CB wads! RGL's leave something to be desired in terms of hull life, but otherwise they are fine.

lbrown
PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 7:55 am  Reply with quote

Anyone using the CB-7/8 wad with 7/8 oz shot in the Herters (Cheddite) hulls? Looking for formulas. Thanks.
WyoChukar
PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 8:58 am  Reply with quote

Green Dot works well with any 7/8 oz. load. Somewhere back in the archives here there is a great spreadsheet with Green Dot data, including Cheddite hull loads.

JNW
PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 11:16 am  Reply with quote

In a Cheddite hull the cb78 fits great with 1 oz of shot. In my hands I get a bit of a dished crimp with 7/8 oz. I have loaded a few 1 ounce loads in both Cheddite and Federal hulls with Green Dot, which is a bit bulky, and with 18.4 grains the hull is nice and full. For targets I think these loads are okay. Carrying shells around in your pockets while hunting will cause some powder migration as many others here have pointed out. I fell into some SG16 wads so that is what I'm loading in straight wall hulls for 1 oz. The DR16 works fabulous in Cheddites for 7/8 and 3/4 oz loads.
The cheapest I can get a case of cb 16 gauge wads delivered is about $145. If I'm going to pay that much I might as well just buy DR or Gualandi wads. About once a year Ballistic Products puts their wads on sale by the case and that's the time to buy.
Unfortunately, there isn't a 1 oz or 1 1/8 oz wad in 16 gauge that holds all the shot inside the wad for straight walled hulls. Just the way it is.
Regards,
Jeff
lbrown
PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 2:31 pm  Reply with quote

I wouldn't be using those reloads for hunting. Just target shooting. And I have Green Dot (as well as Unique and 20/2Cool, so I should be in good shape.