16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  2017 16 gauge Guns, Hunts, Dogs and other such photos
Gil S
PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2017 5:47 pm  Reply with quote

Saturday Floyd and I went looking for new areas to find doodles, but had no luck. So we went to the nearest Woodcock ATM that we used last year and found these three. We took my MuttPak, Willa and Abby. French 16 gauge Brun-Latrige.

Today we went to another “old” area that had some birds. We missed a few, but came out one shy of the limit. Floyd, Sadie, Pop. Floyd shoots a 20 gauge SKB Ithaca.

Floyd, the Woodcock Whisperer, his Sadie, Pop and I had a great day the day after New Year's Day in the lowcountry bottoms.
Here’s my Beretta Model 412 single-shot 20 made in 1957. It’s a full choke, but I shot Polywad spreader loads that did the trick. At 4 lbs., 13 oz, it’s a great carry in the woods and I rarely get a second shot anyway. There’s a doodle between Pop and Floyd’s hand. Floyd shot his Ithaca SKB 20 and he is one fine shot with it.

Last edited by Gil S on Sun Jan 08, 2017 7:15 pm; edited 1 time in total
cowdoc87
PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2017 6:17 pm  Reply with quote

Great job, Gil! Thanks for sharing

kgb
PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2017 8:26 pm  Reply with quote

MuttPack! Love it.

WyoChukar
PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 4:48 pm  Reply with quote

Nice guns, birds, and dogs. These pics make me yearn for bare ground again.

fn16ga
PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 6:17 pm  Reply with quote

Gil, great hunts .

We have a season for Woodcock but I have never seen any that I know of . I don't think they ever make this far south.
Rick Grimes
PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 5:12 am  Reply with quote

Good job Gil. Nice to see pics of those hard working Brits.

Going into coverts becomes less a chase with the sole purpose of killing; it remains important to find game but the gratification-and I keep coming back to that word-is in the beauty of finding it. George Bird Evans A Dog, A Gun, And Time Enough.
double vision
PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 5:16 am  Reply with quote

Looks like fun, Gil. That Beretta single shot is nifty and perfect for the sport.
Gil S
PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 6:24 am  Reply with quote

Thanks, folks. I know it's tough to read about others in the field when your season is over or hasn't started. I've got that tee shirt. Wink Since making the bold statement about using the single-shot and not being able to get a second shot anyway, I've had to eat those words and have gotten a couple of birds with the second shot out of the Brun-Latrige since then. It's 5 lbs., 13 oz. and with the sling, a good carry. It's all good. Laughing

The dogs, mine and Floyd, have really done some great field work. Pop is a real character of a dog. Not a warp-speed runner, but he's sure and steady and will hold a point until hell freezes over sometimes to our chagrin. He trailed a bird into a cat briar hell about 5 yards in. We couldn't get him to move on the bird and flush it. Finally, Floyd had to wade into the briars, get cut-up, and flush the bird. We're thinking about carrying a collapsible crappie fishing pole to poke him in the butt the next time that happens. Wink On two birds Sunday, when his bell stopped in shoulder high rivercane, we would have never found him without Floyd's gps SportDog tracking collar. Sure enough, he was locked down solid on birds. The cane is so thick that unless we were within 3-5 yards, we couldn't see the dogs.
This is an example of the cane from last year. I was on the edge looking in and Floyd is about 3-5 yards in and Sadie is on the edge.

Gil
double vision
PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 2:23 pm  Reply with quote

Gil, I refrained from saying my annual, "Gil, you're killing us up here in the frozen tundra!" or something like that. It's truly heartwarming to see good dogs, guns, and doodles about now.
Riflemeister
PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 6:47 pm  Reply with quote

I took my boys out to a friend's Kansas preserve Monday for a tune up on pheasants to be sure they're ready for a big hunt this weekend. We put out three birds for each dog and they did great as opposed to me trying to hit the birds in a 30+mph breeze. They got to hunt a few of them twice thanks to things like me having an empty gun when a runner flushed wild. We finally got all six birds and had a great time doing it. Sorry no gun in the picture, but used my 16 ga BSA Classic by Zabala. Anyone else have their shooting take a furlough when you are working your dogs and watching them closely?

Rebel on the left and the old road warrior Bode on the right.

JNW
PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 7:45 am  Reply with quote

Very handsome dogs! Looks like you 3 had a great day.
Regards,
Jeff
fn16ga
PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 10:11 am  Reply with quote

Rex , what Jeff said , beautiful Dogs .
fn16ga
PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 10:37 am  Reply with quote

A good morning in the swamp , sorry no dogs just birds and a gun .

Went to different area this morning saw a lot more birds than I have been seeing . Can't seem to get away from taking the SWT16 , man I like this gun.
Gil S
PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 10:53 am  Reply with quote

Snipe are a blast to hunt. Good work. I chase them the month of February. Hesitate using dogs on them because of snakes and gators--even in February. Gil
WyoChukar
PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 9:28 pm  Reply with quote

Snipe are so fun. People who don't hunt them are missing the boat. Tough little buggers to hit compared to doves.