16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  2017 16 gauge Guns, Hunts, Dogs and other such photos
double vision
PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 9:31 pm  Reply with quote

Very nice, Mark! Is your SW16 behaving?
fn16ga
PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 4:52 am  Reply with quote

Dave Erickson wrote:
Very nice, Mark! Is your SW16 behaving?

Dave Perfectly.

Gil, I know what you mean about Gators and Snakes . I have run into some Stud Gators while snipe hunting.
Gil S
PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 6:58 am  Reply with quote

I hunt snipe about 50 miles north of the Ga/FL line. I've seen gators the size of manatees sunning in February. Supposedly they don't feed in the winter, but I don't want my dogs to be asteriked anecdotal evidence to the contrary. I know of one Brittany killed by a cottonmouth while snipe hunting in the same area, a Lab bitten by one that lived, and the same Lab torn up by a hog in the same field. It survived, but it didn't make him smarter or stronger. Wink Snipe sure do taste good cooked rare to medium rare. Gil
wj jeffery 16
PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 2:42 pm  Reply with quote

Great photos , i thought our snipe bogs were tough going but at least there are no snakes or gators ,all we have to worry about is going over over the top of our welly boots in a hole. Great reports
all the best WJ.
UncleDanFan
PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 8:24 am  Reply with quote

I was hoping to go out tomorrow in eastern WA, but the single digit temps are a no go. Glad to see someone still enjoying themselves! Those snipe look like fun. I've flushed zillions of them while pheasant and duck hunting over the years but have never targeted them. That needs to change.

The man's prayer from the Red Green Show: "I'm a man, but I can change, if I have to. I guess."
fn16ga
PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 12:43 pm  Reply with quote

An even 6 today , killed seven but lost one . Only had time to hunt for about a hour . Saw a total of 11 birds , 2 I didn't shoot at and 2 I missed Embarassed
Gil S
PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 1:32 pm  Reply with quote

I may have posted this photo before, but it is life sized "wisp of snipe" carved and painted by Floyd Robbins my woodcock hunting partner. Years ago while visiting him in his shop, I saw a dead snipe on a boat hull he was repairing. Not unusual to see dead birds in his shop as he uses specimens to match colors, etc. Two weeks later the snipe was still there. Out of curiosity, I poked it. It was wood.
fn16ga
PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 1:48 pm  Reply with quote

Gil , WOW , Floyd is quite an artist . Very beautiful !

Snipe are my favorite birds to hunt . They are some of the first birds I ever hunted as kid ( that and wild quail ) , the places I hunted as young man have be developed and have houses there now. Fortunately I still can still find good places to hunt just have to drive further and walk more.
Gil S
PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 4:08 pm  Reply with quote

Snipe are underrated as a game bird. I, too, love hunting them. I've chased them on and off since the mid 1970's. Here's a shot of when I participated in the
Tour de Snipe with my 1957 M37 16 gauge:
fn16ga
PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 5:19 pm  Reply with quote

"Tour de Snipe" I like that. I've done some Tour de Deer and Tour de turkey but never Tour de Snipe. A lot of the stuff I have been hunting this year has been long treks across Pine and palmetto flats to get flag ponds and sloughs . The place I hunted this morning was close to the road . "easy"

The first snipe I killed was in 74 , with mod 37 12ga.

Last weekend of Dove for us , hope we have some new birds.

Last edited by fn16ga on Fri Jan 13, 2017 6:23 pm; edited 1 time in total
double vision
PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 6:03 pm  Reply with quote

I've done some tour de duck up here. We have some multi-use bike trails that go through the Mississippi River swamps. Not a bad way to go!
WyoChukar
PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 8:49 pm  Reply with quote

My first "Tour de hunt" was for chukars before I was old enough to drive. Since then there has been Tour de: goose, duck, and coyote. The duck and goose stuff is interesting. I use tires with hundreds of thumb tacks to ride across frozen lakes and drag either ice fishing gear or a large decoy spread a long way from shore. Traction is amazing, like velcro.

I have been thinking in recent years about using a bike as a shuttle back to the truck since I often walk a darn long ways from where I park. I already use the bike as a shuttle when I float fish a river, so it only goes to reason...

cowdoc87
PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2017 3:25 pm  Reply with quote

[URL=http://s1186.photobucket.com/user/drajones123/media/image_zpsilrm1gkf.jpeg.html] [/URL]
Warm-up for a trip to see my son in west Texas and get in on the birds out there. She likes it! She's no pointer but she works close and finds them if I do my job.

fn16ga
PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2017 2:25 pm  Reply with quote

Went again this morning. Dave E. you recognize this little gem ? Great little gun for snipe . I used some C&F loads in paper win hulls to help get a little more spread . Worked great !

Lizard tracks
double vision
PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2017 3:22 pm  Reply with quote

I know that little gem very well! So glad you are enjoying it!!