16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Guns  ~  Savage 775A Information
spittinfire7
PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2016 5:42 pm  Reply with quote

Guy's I don't come here a lot but whenever I do everyone here is awesome so I'm back again with of questions on a gun I found.
It's a clean(in pictures) Savage 775A with a 26" barrel, not sure on choke. From what I can find the A signifies an alloy frame which will save about 1lb on the gun. Not a make or break feature but nice. I've also seen people mention that you need to check the receiver for cracking but can't find any pictures or other details.

I understand the action to be an A5 copy but can anyone comment on how the overall gun holds up?

I don't shoot thousands of rounds a year but plan to use it for sporting clays and probably some dove.

He's asking $350 for it which isn't going to kill me but if I'd be better of putting that towards something else I'd like to know.
madtrapper143
PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2016 6:46 pm  Reply with quote

775 model was alloy. 755 model was steel. The "A" is just Savage way of acknowledging a slight spec change on the gun. They are recoil operated just the same as a Browning Auto 5. With the recoil system set to match the load you are using the gun will run for a very long time. The 26" barrel is likely choked IMP CYL unless it has been cut. Barrel marking will be a series of *. One * is FULL I believe 3 * is IMP CYL. You have a very nice upland bird gun have fun with it. Receivers do crack but usually with abuse i.e.: friction rings set light and using magnum loads. Some guys even shoot the guns with no rings at all this will damage the gun also. Make sure the gun has all the parts it should have under the fore end.

Darryl

spittinfire7
PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2016 8:02 pm  Reply with quote

Thank you for the information.
dannypratt
PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2017 1:54 am  Reply with quote

The "a" suffix pertains to the Savage Adjustable Choke that was factory applied on the barrel. My guess is if it isn't there now, your gun probably started life with a 28" or 30", with the Savage Adjustable choke on the end, they look like a Poly choke. Another possibility is that it originally had the adjustable choke barrel, and someone swapped the barrel out.
If the 26" barrel is original and not the trimmed down barrel that had the adjustable choke, I'd say it's a good bet it's a factory cylinder choke barrel. Very rare barrel indeed.

The 775 is an excellent firearm. They are very well made.

350.00 is far too expensive however, no matter the condition.

Last edited by dannypratt on Sun Jan 01, 2017 10:30 am; edited 1 time in total

16'er
PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2017 9:46 am  Reply with quote

dannypratt wrote:
?..

The 775 is an excellent firearm. They are very well made.

350.00 is far too expensive however, no matter the condition.

In my market, 300-350 would be a fair price for a clean gun. If you like the gun, and you don't mind the cost I wouldn't pass it up. The only currently made 16ga auto loader is selling north of $1200, and it's made outside of the US. It's hard to touch a standard 16ga A5 for less than $500 in most locals. Just examples for comparison.
dannypratt
PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2017 10:27 am  Reply with quote

I would say if it's super clean, 300.00 is tops, at least around Michigan area. They are built on the 12ga frame, so i think thats why they arent too popular anymore these days. They show up at shops around here fairly often, and in pretty good shape bring 200.00. Which is a great steal of a deal. I'm not saying 300 is outrageous, I'm just saying that lower prices can be found pretty easy. We (the 16ga society) know what we are looking at, but the general hunting and shooting folks have completely forgotten those old 755/775 models.
I recently (last year) picked up a 755 (steel reciever) model in 99% original shape for 125.00...at a reputable shop, and the owner being 100% aware of what he had. It had an original plain fixed choke barrel, with the most common 28" modified choke. I've managed to pick up a 26" fixed choke barrel in Cylinder (super rare), but only had to pay 40.00 for it. I found a 28" Full choke barrel at a gun show for 15.00.
So for under 200.00, I've managed to put together a 3 barrel set with the gun too, and all the barrels interchange with my 775ac (aluminum reciever, factory Cutts style barrel). I got very lucky all the way around for sure, but after some searches on GunBroker, it's not too far fetched to be able to make that happen a few more times.

Don't get me wrong....the 755/775 Savage line is an EXCELLENT gun (775 being aluminum, it weighs in at about 6.75 lbs with 28" bbl), I've put some other posts up regarding these models, and how they compare to each other and the Remingtons, etc.

I just feel like 350.00 is a bit stiff, especially if it has the factory Savage Poly style choke, what with being the 775a model.

Last edited by dannypratt on Sun Jan 01, 2017 10:34 am; edited 2 times in total

dannypratt
PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2017 10:32 am  Reply with quote

16er,

As to the (?).... I just re-read my first post...whoops! I mis-typed a line there, and made the whole thing confusing.

I just edited it, so hopefully the OP will catch what I was trying to say.

Damn, tried to be helpful, but just confused the issue!

16'er
PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2017 11:27 am  Reply with quote

dannypratt wrote:
16er,

As to the (?).... I just re-read my first post...whoops! I mis-typed a line there, and made the whole thing confusing.

I just edited it, so hopefully the OP will catch what I was trying to say.

Damn, tried to be helpful, but just confused the issue!

You're giving me credit where, actually, it was a typo! Wasn't questioning your earlier part of the post. I was just editing to show the part of the post that I was responding to. The '?..' was supposed to be '...' Embarassed . Anyway with a Polychoke, $350 would be pretty strong, although seeing it on a price tag in local shop wouldn't surprise me in the least.

Personally, I've paid what would be considered high or above the norm for a gun that was what I wanted. I've also scored some very good deals. Those are usually right time right place deals. Anyway, it all averages out in the end in my experience.
dannypratt
PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2017 12:19 pm  Reply with quote

16er,
Yes, I too have done exactly what you've done too. All depends on what I'm after at the time. Sometimes I KNOW I've overpaid...however, when you gotta have it, you gotta have it!

fin2feather
PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2017 3:14 pm  Reply with quote

My 16ga 775 has a 28" barrel and my drop-in gauge stops at modified.

I feel a warm spot in my heart when I meet a man whiling away an afternoon...and stopping to chat with him, hear the sleek lines of his double gun whisper "Sixteen." - Gene Hill, Shotgunner's Notebook
oneeyednine1029
PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 5:50 pm  Reply with quote

[URL=http://s1127.photobucket.com/user/oneeyednine1029/media/IMAG0267_zpsdd069018.jpg.html] [/URL]

+1 on the above posts.....when properly set up , its as sweet as an A5. I've used mine for everything from quail to ducks. $350 sounds a tad high , but...... if its clean , I say go for it. There aren't too many of these old guns left. And you can buy a new one anywhere. I lucked out with mine , its super clean , but has the "corn cob" on the end , which I really don't mind.

Savage Fox B model
1972 Reno double barrel
Mossberg model 190 bolt action
JC Higgins bolt action
dannypratt
PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2017 7:44 am  Reply with quote

I've seen you post that picture before on these Savage topics..

I've said it before. But I'll say it again.

That is a GREAT pic. Savage couldn't have done better in 1965 for a magazine ad.

Awesome.

dannypratt
PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2017 7:46 am  Reply with quote

" At home breaking clays, or crossing fields....The Savage 775a 16 gauge Automatic. The future of lightweight guns. Today."

dannypratt
PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2017 7:51 am  Reply with quote

" It's time to tune-up your eyes, both on the field and off. Take a swing with the new Savage 775a 16 gauge LIGHTWEIGHT Automatic. See the future of lightweight shotguns."