16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Guns  ~  Shot my Browning New Sweet Sixteen Today
Cass
PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2017 6:58 pm  Reply with quote

I shot my Browning New Sweet Sixteen today. It was just above freezing and foggy but I wanted to get out and shoot.

I shot 115 rounds through it and it functioned perfectly! I shot 4 different types of factory ammo: Remington 1oz 1200fps Game Loads, Herter's 1165fps 1oz, Herter's 1-1/8oz 1280fps, and Rio 1oz 1300fps loads. They all ran very well.

I thought the 1-1/8oz Herter's loads might be a little hot, but they weren't bad at all. The did eject further but still landed in a close pile. I wanted to shoot some of the Herter's Pheasant loads and Fiocchi Golden Pheasant but my local Cabelas was out of both.

I only had one choke tube (see my other post), so I didn't do any patterning, but I was breaking clays including a lot of clean doubles.

Cass

[URL=http://s250.photobucket.com/user/mjcdmc/media/Browning%20New%20Sweet%20Sixteen/IMG_1809e_zpsfx0j8d8w.jpg.html] [/URL]

[URL=http://s250.photobucket.com/user/mjcdmc/media/Browning%20New%20Sweet%20Sixteen/IMG_1807e_zpstd7we374.jpg.html] [/URL]

[URL=http://s250.photobucket.com/user/mjcdmc/media/Browning%20New%20Sweet%20Sixteen/IMG_1806e_zps1pihn6zr.jpg.html] [/URL]

[URL=http://s250.photobucket.com/user/mjcdmc/media/Browning%20New%20Sweet%20Sixteen/IMG_1804e_zpsdidhw7yh.jpg.html] [/URL]

[URL=http://s250.photobucket.com/user/mjcdmc/media/Browning%20New%20Sweet%20Sixteen/IMG_1803e_zpsuir3fgeh.jpg.html] [/URL]

Last edited by Cass on Tue Nov 21, 2017 9:12 pm; edited 2 times in total
studdog
PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2017 8:13 pm  Reply with quote

Thanks for the report. It is great the Herters lite load cycles. That's my favorite load for clays in 8's and birds in 6's.

Cass
PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2017 8:17 am  Reply with quote

studdog wrote:
Thanks for the report. It is great the Herters lite load cycles. That's my favorite load for clays in 8's and birds in 6's.

Likewise, I like that load. I had seen another post about someone having problems with them in a New Sweet Sixteen, so I was relived when they worked well.

Cass
double vision
PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2017 8:24 am  Reply with quote

Larry Brown mentioned to me that he shot most of two flats of those 1 oz. Herter's loads through the SW16 he was testing without a hitch.
hoashooter
PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2017 7:10 pm  Reply with quote

Gonna have to get one---if they are ever available!
Cass
PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2017 9:28 pm  Reply with quote

I've fired the shotgun on two more outings.

The second time I put another couple more boxes through it, both Herter's and Remington 1oz.

Today I tried some other loads: RST 2-1/2" 1oz 1200fps, Remington Express Long Range 1-1/8oz 1295fps, and Federal Pheasants Forever 1-1/8oz 1425fps.

They all functioned perfectly. The Remington Express felt pretty hot, but the Federals were real thumpers. They would both do the trick on late season roosters flushing wild.

Cass

[URL=http://s250.photobucket.com/user/mjcdmc/media/Browning%20New%20Sweet%20Sixteen/IMG_1820e_zps3iiueqq6.jpg.html] [/URL]

[URL=http://s250.photobucket.com/user/mjcdmc/media/Browning%20New%20Sweet%20Sixteen/IMG_1822e_zpsdaa5b2wv.jpg.html] [/URL]
studdog
PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2017 8:50 am  Reply with quote

Thanks for the update! I can hardly wait to get mine back from Gunsmith.

Cass
PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2017 7:42 pm  Reply with quote

I received the correct 16ga DS choke wrench from Browning this week, so I took the Sweet 16 out to do some patterning.

I also tried out another load, the Fiocchi Golden Pheasant, 1-1/8oz 1310fps. They functioned in the shotgun with perfect reliability like every other load I have tried so far.

I patterned with the IC, MOD and IMP MOD chokes in each of the 4 loads shown at 40 yards.

Overall I liked the IC choke. It patterned well, although 40 yards is the outer range I would try. With the Herters 1-1/8oz 7-1/2's there were no quail/dove sized "holes" in the pattern.

The MOD was another story. With the same Herters 1-1/8oz 7-1/2's the distribution was uneven with holes in the upper half of the pattern.

The IMP MOD was nice and tight at 40 yards and could be trusted to reach out further if needed. The Herters, Remington and Federal loads all had good uniform patterns.

The Fiocchi Golden Pheasant's were another story. They patterned unevenly with every choke. In one case there were almost no pellets in the upper right quadrant.

I was surprised by the problem with the Golden Pheasant's because I have used the 12ga loads for years and they have always patterned very well for me in a range of shotguns. I think I'll talk to Fiocchi and see if they have any suggestions.

Cass

[URL=http://s250.photobucket.com/user/mjcdmc/media/Browning%20New%20Sweet%20Sixteen/IMG_1866e_zpsmfrhqwjs.jpg.html] [/URL]

[URL=http://s250.photobucket.com/user/mjcdmc/media/Browning%20New%20Sweet%20Sixteen/IMG_1867e_zpsmpmk7wdp.jpg.html] [/URL]

[URL=http://s250.photobucket.com/user/mjcdmc/media/Browning%20New%20Sweet%20Sixteen/IMG_1869e_zps7gsc4kzq.jpg.html] [/URL]

[URL=http://s250.photobucket.com/user/mjcdmc/media/Browning%20New%20Sweet%20Sixteen/IMG_1868e_zps7buyhc9l.jpg.html] [/URL]
4setters
PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2017 8:25 pm  Reply with quote

Cass,

Don't wear that Sweet 16 out! Browning only warrants them for 100,00 shots!

Glad you like it; I like mine very well. And I'm an ole pump gun guy. Can't wait to shoot pheasants with it!

Good luck!

1955 Browning Auto-5 Mod
1940 Ithaca NID M/F
1959 Beretta Silver Hawk
Ranger 103-II M/F
Browning A-5 Sweet 16
Browning Citori Invector
Rem 870 Remchoke
Jagdhund
PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2017 9:44 pm  Reply with quote

Thanks for the report, Cass. I'm looking at a light weight gun for my "old age" and am considering the new A5 as an alternative to a 20 3" mag. gun.

Cass
PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2017 8:38 pm  Reply with quote

4setters wrote:
Cass,

Don't wear that Sweet 16 out! Browning only warrants them for 100,00 shots!

Glad you like it; I like mine very well. And I'm an ole pump gun guy. Can't wait to shoot pheasants with it!

Good luck!

Just 99,600 rounds to go, ha!

I'm thinking ahead to pheasant hunting too, that why I'm trying the heavy loads now.

Jagdhund wrote:
Thanks for the report, Cass. I'm looking at a light weight gun for my "old age" and am considering the new A5 as an alternative to a 20 3" mag. gun.

A shotgun this light will be perfect for those 10 mile days!

Cass
Jagdhund
PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2017 8:51 pm  Reply with quote

Ha! Four miles in our hills is getting to be a pretty good jag. Sad

studdog
PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 4:09 am  Reply with quote

Cass, I appreciate your patterning work. How did your gun pattern as to point of impact? Mine is about 55%/45% and dead on center. Did you shoot yours for POA? Thanks George

Cass
PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 9:10 am  Reply with quote

studdog wrote:
Cass, I appreciate your patterning work. How did your gun pattern as to point of impact? Mine is about 55%/45% and dead on center. Did you shoot yours for POA? Thanks George

The point of impact seems to be centered at point of aim. I haven't counted the pellets in the patterns, but visually my results look like they are about the same as yours (that is excluding the problem patterns with the Fiocchi GP and the MOD choke results).

I did email Fiocchi to see if they had any suggestions about what went wrong with those patterns.

Cass
4setters
PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 3:09 pm  Reply with quote

Cass,

For what its worth, about ten years ago I emailed Fiocchi about Golden Pheasant case and brass splitting (not every shell, but several) in my Citori, and never got a reply.

Ditto on the thanks for pattern work, and the responses on POA. I haven't papered my A5 yet, but it seems to be dead on at POA. The test in American Rifleman Dope Bag also showed a "dead on" POA (although the article was full of other errors). For me, this is a big deal, and seems to be a problem with quite a few new guns nowadays. For example, AR reviewed a Merkle SxS not too long ago that was bad out of regulation, the local sports editor has been reporting pattering work with a Rem V3 and Win SX2, both of which shoot off to the side, etc. I don't want to apply "Kentucky windage" when a bird in trying to make my game bag!

1955 Browning Auto-5 Mod
1940 Ithaca NID M/F
1959 Beretta Silver Hawk
Ranger 103-II M/F
Browning A-5 Sweet 16
Browning Citori Invector
Rem 870 Remchoke