16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Ammunition & Reloading  ~  Best Factory Load for pheasants?
mtbirder
PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2017 8:57 pm  Reply with quote

"The best load is a good dog".

yup.

Preferably loaded in wiry hair and a beard Smile
WyoChukar
PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2017 9:05 pm  Reply with quote

Perhaps, but I sure like to do my part to make sure a pheasant comes down for him and his Bee Gee's hair style first! Bee Gee's hair? Well, the pic explains it best.
[[URL=http://s616.photobucket.com/user/kingcanis/media/All%20three%201%20of%201%20683x1024.jpg.html] [/URL]][/img]

Last edited by WyoChukar on Sat Jan 21, 2017 9:11 pm; edited 1 time in total

double vision
PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2017 9:09 pm  Reply with quote

mtbirder wrote:
"The best load is a good dog".

yup.

Preferably loaded in wiry hair and a beard Smile

Correct! Smile
Little Creek
PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2017 6:26 pm  Reply with quote

readgriff- what you say about shot size in Italian Golden Pheasants makes sense. The Italian shot is smaller. On the other hand there is more of it. I have used B&P High Pheasant #6 loads with good results on wild birds. I don not mean 40 + yards, though. I tend to shy away from shots over 40 yards because the crippling rate rises exponentially.

I don't think 1-1/4 ounce 16 gauge shells are worth the money or necessary. They tend to really have a lot of recoil in most 16 bores, particularly the ones under 6-3/4 pounds.

For best results pattern the loads at ranges you intend to use them and compare.

Cheers!
double vision
PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2017 4:51 am  Reply with quote

The Herter's 1 1/8 oz. 5's are good loads and on sale right now for $69.99/flat.
readgriff
PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2017 6:19 am  Reply with quote

I agree with no need of 1 1/4 oz loads in a 16 ga.
Do not shoot golden pheasant any more I like true 4 and 5 shot better.
I believe the Herters shells are true shot size at least the 8 shot is.
Never shoot at pheasants at a very long distance usually shoot off points so they are close open chokes.
It's all about the dog work not the game pouch😀
Little Creek
PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2017 10:45 am  Reply with quote

Dave-have you patterned the Herter's #5's and are they hard shot. I bought a box of 3-1/4 x 1-1/4 12 ga loads at Cabelas but haven't tried them yet. Thanks

Mike
old colonel
PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2017 12:17 pm  Reply with quote

Concur with Dave, a good dog will more important, however the question of best is subjective. My opinion is based on a Citori only and not a vintage gun.

Light pheasant load: Fiochi Golden Pheasant

Heavy: federal Wingshok 1 1/4

My old favorite of Winchester Super Double X is long ago history.

That said I have killed more pheasanr in the last five years with 1 oz spreader loads in an RMC brass shell over a point under 25yards

double vision
PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2017 3:31 pm  Reply with quote

Little Creek wrote:
Dave-have you patterned the Herter's #5's and are they hard shot. I bought a box of 3-1/4 x 1-1/4 12 ga loads at Cabelas but haven't tried them yet. Thanks

Mike

If I did pattern them I have forgotten how they looked. I'll prolly check again this spring/summer. I doubt if they are hard shot which is always desireable, but there's something to be said for good patterning, denser, soft shot. Black Belt and I have been chatting about these loads because we've both read that they are euro-sized 5's and standard American 5's. I'll cut on open tonight and check that out and try to discern how hard or soft it is.

I shot most of my pheasants with my 12 gauges this year, but I did take 3 roosters with these loads in a couple 16's. The first two were close shots off points, and the 3rd bird was a a longish shot at 35+ yards and the rooster folded dead.

I like these Herter's 1 1/8 oz. loads because they seem a little milder in my doubles. The Fiocchi's I've shot are great killers, but pretty violent in a light 16, and I worry a little about cracked stocks.
double vision
PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2017 9:42 pm  Reply with quote

I disassembled one of the Herter's 1 1/8 oz. #5 loads tonight. It weighed 496.3 grains which is very slightly over 1 1/8 oz. I counted 237 pellets which suggests they are smaller than standard American 5's. My chart says 1 1/8 oz. of American 5's should be around 190 pellets. The wad has a nice deep shot cup and contains all but a layer or so of the shot. The shot felt on the soft side with my unscientific pliers squeeze, but I do know how hard shot feels with the same pliers. Not a premium load, but for the price not too bad either. I'll do some patterning when the weather breaks.
Little Creek
PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2017 9:47 pm  Reply with quote

Dave, sounds like my Herters shells are not a long range load. I am not disappointed, though.
double vision
PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2017 9:52 pm  Reply with quote

If they hold a good pattern you might be surprised!
double vision
PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 4:27 am  Reply with quote

[URL=https://imageshack.com/i/pli7FXQuj] [/URL]
WyoChukar
PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 9:31 am  Reply with quote

I guess I would ask myself one question before worrying about ammo performance. "How far away do I shoot my birds"? If the answer is only out to 35 yards, don't worry about it. Almost any load of #6,5,or 4 shot in a 16 ga. will do the job well.

It's out beyond 40 yards where the difference between premium performance and mediocre performance becomes evident and troublesome. Notice I said premium performance, not premium ammo. The performance makes a load premium, not advertising, hype, or price. Some "premium" ammo really is and some really isn't.

"Best load is a good dog". Some final thoughts there. That statement works fairly well most of the time, as long as the option is open. Due to trespass laws you may or may not be able to send the dog on a long retrieve. Then there is the matter of a winged bird leading a dog out across a road about the time someone is speeding down it. Third thought: in real good pheasant country there can be several hundred birds (or way more!) in a single field leaving an ocean of scent. Expecting a dog to find the individual bird that is running full stride with a broken wing is no guarantee.

CitoriFeather16
PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 10:12 am  Reply with quote

old colonel wrote:
Concur with Dave, a good dog will more important, however the question of best is subjective. My opinion is based on a Citori only and not a vintage gun.

Light pheasant load: Fiochi Golden Pheasant

Heavy: federal Wingshok 1 1/4

My old favorite of Winchester Super Double X is long ago history.

That said I have killed more pheasanr in the last five years with 1 oz spreader loads in an RMC brass shell over a point under 25yards

Golden Pheasant are your light load? Mine are 1 1/8 oz at 1,300 fps. Those will get your attention in a 6 lb gun.

Matt