16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Guns  ~  Stevens 311a and Winchester Model 24
Ptm
PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2017 7:44 pm  Reply with quote

Both of these guns have been described as utilitarian, clubby, heavy. I am somewhat intrigued by these American made guns marketed when times were tough and functionality took presidence over form and shape. Is one thought to be any better than the other and is there anyone who enjoys shooting them still? I've never seen either one but the 24 looks like it is lighter but wider due to its unique design.
jswanson
PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2017 6:14 am  Reply with quote

I picked up a 311 12 ga. a few years ago. It had been cut down to 18 1/4 " and the stock was shortened to improve handling with heavy winter clothing. Here in the Adirondacks that's kind of important.

I bought it as a barn/pest gun. Funny thing is I found that at 100 feet it will but all 18 OO pellets is a 18 inch circle. Pretty handy for cut 18 inch barrels.

Not something I hunt with but as a pest eliminator using #4 of #4 buck it just dandy and stout as heck..

Joe

ninepointer
PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2017 7:16 am  Reply with quote

I had a 20 ga. Stevens 5100 (predecessor to the 311) for a while. I didn't keep it, mainly because the stock was cracked behind the tang (seems common in these guns) and it did not feel much like a 20.
fin2feather
PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2017 8:06 am  Reply with quote

The 12's in both these guns seem pretty clunky IMO; in the smaller gauges they're not bad. I've never owned a 24 but passed on a 16 years ago and have always sort of regretted it, in spite of many folks' unfavorable opinion of them.

Stevens 5100's (Researcher says they're actually Model 530's) in 16ga and 20ga were my first double guns; I still have them and they've been good to me. Not the sveltest things around, but at a hair under 7lbs on the 16 and a bit less on the 20 (can't find my records right now) not too bad.

Don't know about the 24's, but with the Stevens stuff older is better; the late ones with the hardwood and forearms like a 2x4 are not worth hauling home. Just my opinion of course.

Stevens 16ga

Stevens 20ga

Last edited by fin2feather on Fri Jan 27, 2017 8:39 am; edited 1 time in total

I feel a warm spot in my heart when I meet a man whiling away an afternoon...and stopping to chat with him, hear the sleek lines of his double gun whisper "Sixteen." - Gene Hill, Shotgunner's Notebook
jschultz
PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2017 8:33 am  Reply with quote

The pic below is of my wife 16 Ga. Model 5100 and as you can see this old gun is in great condition. On occasion I have used it when training dogs with pigeons and I was surprised as to how well it handled. That said, I would not trade my #2 Aya for a 5100.
Roadkill
PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2017 1:40 pm  Reply with quote

I have a near-new 16ga Model 24 with IC/Mod barrels. It is a shooter, both barrels shoot where I point it. It is not a handsome gun, for sure - but it handles surprisingly well.
I keep it in the opposite side of the safe, away from my Win21. Laughing
ninepointer
PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2017 2:04 pm  Reply with quote

Roadkill wrote:
I have a near-new 16ga Model 24 with IC/Mod barrels. It is a shooter, both barrels shoot where I point it. It is not a handsome gun, for sure - but it handles surprisingly well.
I keep it in the opposite side of the safe, away from my Win21. Laughing

You should let those two cozy up to each other. The result might might be a BSS Smile
16'er
PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2017 2:05 pm  Reply with quote

Also don't forget the Ithaca made "Lefever Nitro" and the Hunter Arms offerings.

Early Savage Fox "Model B" were pretty well balanced and if your going to put the money out for a Win 24, I'd seriously compare the Model B.

I have two 311 16ga. One 26 and on 28 inch barrels. They are rainy day guns for me. I'd rather carry my Uggie, but either will get the job done. I'd trade my 28" in on a deal to get a nice Nitro special 26" if the deal ever presented itself...

Cheers.
jswanson
PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2017 1:46 pm  Reply with quote

Interestingly, I was at the Vero Beach guns show this morning and found a Mod 24 in 16GA. Asking was $500. Had 28" barrels, Right was cyl and left a tight Mod. by my gauge. Brass form Galazans. Had a small dent in the right barrel visible inside and out but other wise in goods condition. Dealer was flexible but couldn't quite get to where I needed to be.

Ptm
PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2017 1:47 pm  Reply with quote

Well I found a 311a, I sent some money away on it and should have it in a couple weeks. So far I haven't found the right 24, the ranchers who were buying these things must of thought they were ok as many have been beat into the ground, I've searched most of the sites if anyone is looking to sell a decent 24 let me know.
jswanson
PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2017 9:02 am  Reply with quote

Well I went back to the Vero Beach show this morning to correct yesterdays mistake of not buying the mod 24. Anyone want to guess what I found? That's right GONE. I just don't learn.

Joe

Cheyenne08
PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2017 12:51 pm  Reply with quote

jswanson wrote:
Well I went back to the Vero Beach show this morning to correct yesterdays mistake of not buying the mod 24. Anyone want to guess what I found? That's right GONE. I just don't learn.

Joe

Tough, as my Dad used to tell me: "You snooze, you loose". I've done the same thing many times. I haven't learned either. Wink

Dale

...Andrew Jackson...
Ohio Wirehair
PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2017 12:31 pm  Reply with quote

Just picked up a 16 gauge Model 5100 as a project gun. Single trigger,probably 60 to 65%. The only markings on it are a b inside a circle and the letters X U. Oh yea it's uncheckered walnut. I'm thinking value is $200.00 to $250.00 restored. Help!! Very Happy
MaximumSmoke
PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2017 11:22 am  Reply with quote

@Fin2Feather -- That sure is a nice looking Stevens double you have pictured. Although the Stevens 311/5100/530 etc are work-a-day humble in general, the ones with the nice metal trigger guards and less extreme shape around the top-lever pivot can look nice. The one in your picture is one of those. I have often thought of taking one of those and backboring several thousandths -- each ten thou would remove a bit under 5 ounces total from the two barrels of a 16 gauge double -- and then converting the stock to straight-grip and trimming the forend down to a nice splinter shape, if necessary. Chokes would be tuned up to suit the need and the new bores, of course. Hopefully new wood would not be required, but if cast/drop/length work is necessary, there is always the possibility of a comb graft, a wood rasp reshape, a recoil pad, or even a butt transplant (saves inletting). It might be better to start with a lower grade Wenig inletted blank if radical changes are necessary. These changes would liven the gun up considerably. Of course there would be some money involved, but if one did a little of the work himself, I believe the total cost could easily be kept under $1000. It would be a personalized gun, and if nothing else, a fine "rain gun". Then again, an old German SxS might provide a more aesthetic end result, but I doubt it could be done for less. Some will poo-poo these starry-eyed "sow's ear - to - silk purse" ideas. Life is short and maybe it is better to spend one's time making money to afford a gun one really wants, but low-investment DIY projects might be just the right path for others. If a fitted gun of good dynamics and decent appearance results, it would stick it in the eye of those of us who have paid a lot to doll up our Sterlingworth's and Parker Trojans or buy a decent present day Spanish or German double, or even an inexpensive Turkish-made double.

Last edited by MaximumSmoke on Mon Feb 13, 2017 7:43 am; edited 1 time in total
WyoChukar
PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2017 7:24 pm  Reply with quote

Almost went that route a time or two. With careful handwork, the metal to metal fit and metal to wood fit can be improved immensely. I did do that with a Flues Ithaca once and it really transformed the gun. Those were my college days though and I had not the money for pretty wood to carve or a set of engraving tools so my dream never quite came to fruition. I still have the design layouts. Perhaps someday.