16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Ammunition & Reloading  ~  They are just toying with us!
3DocPop
PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2006 9:11 pm  Reply with quote

So, I get an email with the following subject line:

MidwayUSA Introduces Exclusive Federal Ammunition For Vintage Shotguns

All right!!!!, I think. Happy days Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy , I think.

So I go to the Midway site, and find one offering, 7 1/2 shot, in 12 ga only, by the box or case. Either way, over $6/box Evil or Very Mad Mad Mad Mad

Any of you with connection into the industry think there is a chance for 16 ammo?

3DocPop
Birdswatter
PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2006 10:01 pm  Reply with quote

Yeah, there's a chance....start your own industry and reload. I have components for about 10,000 rounds and use factory loads from a variety of manufacturers for hunting. Not overly worried about coming up short anytime soon. As I see it, an adequate variety of hunting loads are available. Light target loads are the problem, and I make my own, as many others here do.......problem solved.

The only way to motivate ammo companies is to create demand. Introduce your friends to 16 gauge and get them shooting them. I always get questions at the range when using a 16 for trap......especially when the high-end 12's are given a run for their money. Enlightening people to the 16's capabilities is the key to expanding availability of ammo and components. This site got the ball rolling and it's our responsibility to keep things moving. I was a big skeptic prior to buying my first 16. Recently, when I called the local ammo guy looking for 1oz 7.5 game loads, he had Remingtons and Rios in stock, ready to go for the same price as 12's or 20's. I bought two flats. That's progress.
Hal M. Hare
PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2006 4:33 am  Reply with quote

We have been hosting some 16 gauge only clays events in our area. Perhaps more of these type events might eventually influence importers or manufacturers?

TJC
PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2006 4:54 am  Reply with quote

Got the same email and thought the same thing. Opened it up and closed it just as quick saying WTF?

Birdswatter
PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2006 7:27 am  Reply with quote

Those 16 gauge clay events are the best way to expose folks to the 16. Maybe a 16 gauge hunt event at one of the clubs would also be a good idea. I know that one owner of a western hunt club is partial to the 16.........and is also a member here......
hoashooter
PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2006 7:52 pm  Reply with quote

The problem is most folks hear/regard/take into account the 16 ga. is a dead,obsolete and unused item Embarassed Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Shocked Shocked
clayflingythingy
PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2006 6:05 am  Reply with quote

When I received the e-mail, I was hoping for a complete line! 12, 16, & 20. For some reason I also had it in my head they would be 2 1/2 inchers! I was very disappointed when I saw what the offering was. A line of paper cased 2 1/2 inch shells from a big U.S. maker is probably just wishful thinking.
3DocPop
PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2006 7:05 am  Reply with quote

I agree with Birdswatter's comments. I do reload, although not as much, or as varied loads as many of you, and can pretty much find 16 ga loads to suit my needs.

My frustration centers on a large ammo manufacturer, Federal, recognizing the market exists for vintage ammo - yet completely missing the point that there are vintage guns in other gauges AND the single load they do have may best be used by our 16's.

Possibly to no point, but I think I will reply to Midway and Federal asking when the 16's will be introduced.
Foursquare
PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2006 8:26 am  Reply with quote

I suspect that Federal is testing the waters with this offering.
If this 12 ga load sells well, and I think it will, I wouldn't be surprised to see them offer similar loads in other gages.

Emails and calls couldn't hurt.
Pete

" .......you have learned patience and stubbornness and concentration on what you really want at the expense of what is there to shoot. You have learned that man can as easily be debased as ennobled by a sport....."
pezman1963
PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2006 3:25 pm  Reply with quote

Foursquare wrote:
I suspect that Federal is testing the waters with this offering.
If this 12 ga load sells well, and I think it will, I wouldn't be surprised to see them offer similar loads in other gages.

Emails and calls couldn't hurt.
Pete

I recently wrote Federal asking them to sell 16 gauge primed hulls.
No responce yet.

brdhnt
PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2006 12:03 pm  Reply with quote

Stan,

After having spent many hours over the last several years talking in person and on the phone with reps of every ammo manufacturer out there, I can sum it up succinctly. If we do see any more 16 gauge loads, it won't be from the 'Big 3'.

Remington, Winchester, Federal all have 'manufacturer reps' who are salesment for big PR firms. Sometimes their knowledge of their products is as complete as the knowledge from the pimply faced clerk behind the counter at the local MegaMart.

Kent/Gamebore - They are importing a number of their loads from England, however a lot of their 2 1/2", low pressure stuff isn't available in this country and if it is, the price is very high.

Wolf Ammo - I was told at last year's SHOT SHow that Wolf didn't have any plans to make 16 gauge ammo. Their shotgun ammo rep, who is a good friend, made arrangements for me to talk to the VP of production. I made the pitch for 16 gauge stuff to him. This year, Wolf did a 'test run' of 16 gauge ammo for Cabela's and I have been told were "very pleased' with the sales. I'm pushing them for a 7/8th ounce 1200FPS target load. They haven't said NO.

Fiocchi - Fiocchi has expanded their 16 gauge line in the last couple of years and they have learned just how many 16 gauge shooters are out there. They are still pursuing some options and may very well be our best chance for other 16 gauge ammo. The Euro flucuation vs. the dollar is one of the things that will effect Wolf and Fiocchi in marketing their ammo in the U.S.

POLYWAD- Polywad is expanding their production facilities and within the next two years will be offering lots more ammo and some more loads. I can't say exactly, but they have a couple of patents pending that are going to revolutionize a lot of shotshells and they will be able to expand accordingly.

Environmetal (Heavy-Shot) - They are not currently making any 16 gauge stuff (and their stuff wouldn't be safe in older guns) but their Executive VP is a 16 gauge shooter and I know that they are doing some R&D on 16 gauge loads.

So, that's the run-down. We just have to keep plugging away and one of these days, one of the ammo companies will put out some new loads and learn that there is an interest ($$$$$).

Terry
________
Lamborghini lm002 history

Last edited by brdhnt on Mon Feb 28, 2011 5:38 am; edited 1 time in total
16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2006 12:21 pm  Reply with quote

Quote: "The problem is most folks hear/regard/take into account the 16 ga. is a dead,obsolete and unused item ."

Yup... sorta like their brains. Wink