16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Guns  ~  how to disable slam fire ithaca 37
kennedy756
PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2017 9:05 pm  Reply with quote

I want to disable the slam fire on my 16ga Ithaca 37 to make it safer for shooting trap, I have had a few slam fires by accident and want to make it safer. I think I just need to grind off the triangle shaped tab on the side of the hammer, anyone tried this?

16ga Browning A-5 1929
16ga Marlin 90 1939
16ga browning citori lightning grade 3 2003
16ga Francisque Darne 1920
Ohio Wirehair
PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2017 10:52 pm  Reply with quote

I wouldn't grind anything off a 1946 Model 37 unless it's already been molested. Buy another hammer. The guys at Shotgun World/Ithaca forum will talk you thru it. Not being a smartass but wouldn't it be easier to just put the safety on between shots. I was taught by my Dad(60 some years ago) to always have your safety on until ready to shoot. Got to be such a habit that it throws my timing off if I don't click off the safety as i call for the bird.
Cold Iron
PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2017 12:51 am  Reply with quote

kennedy756 wrote:
I want to disable the slam fire on my 16ga Ithaca 37 to make it safer for shooting trap, I have had a few slam fires by accident and want to make it safer. I think I just need to grind off the triangle shaped tab on the side of the hammer, anyone tried this?

I really don't want to come across as a smart arse here. I own a lot of Ithaca 37's most of them older without the disconnect. And grew up with an older 37 16 ga. killed a lot of clays, birds and small game with that gun. Although the grew up part could be debatable LOL.

If you don't have your finger on the trigger it will not slam fire. Period. Trigger control with your finger is the best option IMO. There is no need to modify anything except operation. Would hate to see you modify an older Ithaca but it is your gun and honestly you can do with it as you please. But trigger control would be my suggestion. Unless your shooting doubles in Trap it should not even be an issue. Even with doubles it is good to lean how to let go of the trigger. You might even learn that to shoot skeet a tutu is not required and trigger control is important on doubles. Good luck and smoke them all!
kennedy756
PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2017 4:59 am  Reply with quote

decided on buying a replacement hammer, found a bunch on e-bay. are the 12 gauge ones the same as 16 ga? gun parts corp only lists one part number for 2 3/4 in chambers.

16ga Browning A-5 1929
16ga Marlin 90 1939
popplecop
PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2017 8:21 am  Reply with quote

Read Cold Iron's post, the main thing is keep your finger off the trigger. Finger should only be on the trigger with the safety off when going to shoot at something. Not trying to be hyper critical, but during my LE career of 30 years I had to investigated a number of firearm accidents.

kennedy756
PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2017 9:17 am  Reply with quote

finger was not on trigger, I know because it slam fired and I thought maybe I was on the trigger, so I loaded another shell making sure I was not even close to the trigger, and it slammed fired again. so I am going to disable it.

16ga Browning A-5 1929
16ga Marlin 90 1939
16gaDavis
PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2017 10:40 am  Reply with quote

if the gun fired when you closed it , then it's got a broken firing pin , or the hammer latch

kennedy756
PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2017 11:02 am  Reply with quote

16gaDavis wrote:
if the gun fired when you closed it , then it's got a broken firing pin , or the hammer latch

no it functions great, but every once in a while it slam fires, I did find a burr on the firing pin where it was peened from the firing pin retaining pin, I have filed it smooth, but still want to disable the slam fire, just in case my finger gets in the way.

16ga Browning A-5 1929
16ga Marlin 90 1939
FlyChamps
PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2017 5:21 pm  Reply with quote

I don't currently own a M37 but I owned for 35 years a 1946 and one I bought in 1975 both of which would "slam fire". The M37 in proper operating condition will not "slam fire" because by definition a slam fire is when the gun fires on closing WITHOUT THE TRIGGER HELD BACK because of a protruding broken firing pin or one which moves forward under the inertia of closing the bolt with sufficient force to fire the primer.

The M37 prior to about 1975 would "slam fire" but it is not a true slam fire but instead the earlier M37's do not have a "disconnector" and IF THE TRIGGER IS HELD BACK while the action is closed the hammer is released when the bolt locks in battery and the gun will fire.

If your gun is firing when the action is closed and the trigger is not held back something is broken. Get it fixed by a COMPETENT gunsmith before someone is hurt.

By the way, in the 35 years I owned those two M37's the ONLY times they "slam fired" was when I did it intentionally once with each gun to see if they would.
kennedy756
PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2017 5:48 pm  Reply with quote

thanks everyone, but still no one has answered my question HOW DO YOU DISABLE IT?

16ga Browning A-5 1929
16ga Marlin 90 1939
Dave Miles
PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2017 6:23 pm  Reply with quote

16gaDavis wrote:

Or dirty. I have two early 37's.
One started slam firing with the finger off the trigger.
Took her apart and cleaned it real well and lubed.
Hasn't done it again and that was about 10 years ago.

Dave Miles
PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2017 6:26 pm  Reply with quote

kennedy756 wrote:
thanks everyone, but still no one has answered my question HOW DO YOU DISABLE IT?

You Tube is your friend.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=swQI881JafU

16gaDavis
PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2017 6:56 am  Reply with quote

it's a normal function of how the gun was designed . A gunsmith may know how to do it , or you might have to obtain a newer trigger mechanism . a M12 for instance , a gun smith here in Rochester invented a latch that would switch every trigger pull thus making a re-pull necessary . Winchester would not support the expense to recall M12's , so it never happened until the Browning repos . I cannot use the repo in my Wins , nor the Wins in the Browning , so a sticky wicket !! You'll probably have to find an Ithaca expert to find out if it's possible . I might be able to find out here , but will take a little time for the question to make the circle .

Dave Miles
PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2017 9:44 am  Reply with quote

16gaDavis wrote:
it's a normal function of how the gun was designed . A gunsmith may know how to do it , or you might have to obtain a newer trigger mechanism . a M12 for instance , a gun smith here in Rochester invented a latch that would switch every trigger pull thus making a re-pull necessary . Winchester would not support the expense to recall M12's , so it never happened until the Browning repos . I cannot use the repo in my Wins , nor the Wins in the Browning , so a sticky wicket !! You'll probably have to find an Ithaca expert to find out if it's possible . I might be able to find out here , but will take a little time for the question to make the circle .

His gun is slam firing without touch the trigger.
This is not a normal function of the gun.
He has a problem, and needs to get it corrected.

fn16ga
PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2017 9:54 am  Reply with quote

Quote:
His gun is slam firing without touch the trigger.
This is not a normal function of the gun.
He has a problem, and needs to get it corrected

+1 on that , I had a12ga that would did the same thing , not all the time but would surprise the hell out you when it did , don't remember what the fix was , but it was definitely not safe and was fixed before I sold it.