16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  "Bit the dust"-hard
WyoChukar
PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2017 7:37 pm  Reply with quote

No need to, everything is fine. I do know a few folks who qualify as RN or doctor and am also aware of what to watch out for so I don't end up with complications. Several of these people have been consulted and as stated, things are fine. Four days until stitch removal.

Took on our area's biggest challenge for chukars today, seven coveys in terrain that actually managed to make my calves ache a little. Jan. 31st is the last day and I work that afternoon. I know where I will be on said morning for an hour or two.

Wiley Marine
PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2017 6:58 pm  Reply with quote

Wyochukar
How does one get one of Rustys pup..... I would love to have a Border like him...

1960 J.C.Mugica (Noble 16)
1959 J.C.Mugica (Noble 20)
Lanber 12
Springfield 5000 20
WyoChukar
PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2017 8:17 am  Reply with quote

Not exactly a possibility from him. Dare I say it, but I got him as a runaway from a local shelter when he was 8 months old, he's neutered. However, Wyoming is full of dogs like Rusty (livestock country you know).
There is a place in Laramie call Western States Border Collie Rescue. Not saying you should get one of their dogs, but it is a good place to check out the variety online. Truth be known, I have never been a "blood line guy". Give me a smart dog that wants to please and I have found all I need. Keep in mind that border collies respond well to gentle training methods and usually don't accept the heavy handed approach well at all. I will also say that the ones I have been around have an uncanny nose.

Cheyenne08
PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2017 2:31 pm  Reply with quote

+1 on the pedigree. I have seen quite a few bird dogs in my life, some with great credentials and some who just came along for the ride.

The single most important thing, to me, is: does the dog WANT to hunt?

If he/she does, most of your work is done. A dog loves to please his master, and if that person has the brains God gave a goose, he will cultivate that desire with praise and kindness.

He will be rewarded way beyond expectations. Some dogs will work for a good person, and turn stone deaf for an asshole.

I've been lucky to shoot over two wonderful dogs in my life, if the others weren't so great, it was my fault.

Dale

...Andrew Jackson...
Wiley Marine
PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2017 11:22 pm  Reply with quote

Thanks for the info...I agree on the blood line thing...never seen it work real well...and I DO NOT believe in heavy handed....neither did my Dad the Veterinarian. so I appreciate the info...I'll be looking.

1960 J.C.Mugica (Noble 16)
1959 J.C.Mugica (Noble 20)
Lanber 12
Springfield 5000 20