16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  OT - 1911 Pistols
JNW
PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2017 1:57 pm  Reply with quote

Thanks for all the great responses. I've been studying these pistols a lot now for several weeks and it is confusing. Each brand has its fans and detractors. There are guys who have bought Wilson Combat guns (>$3.5) and they didn't work. Quite a few complaints about Les Baer's less than friendly customer service and there's always someone with a negative experience for each gun. Each brand also has lots and lots of folks who have had great experiences with their pistols. That's why I asked here - I trust you guys. One of our 16 gauge brethren has already put several guns under my nose - a Colt Series 80 Gold Cup and a Sig STX new in the box. Either would be fabulous. That Sig is one sweet looking and handling gun! Several of my friends have STIs, which are very nice, but don't know if I want to start out with that much gun. Its funny how in the 16 gauge world $2,000 just starts to get you into the lower end of nice while in the handgun world its the beginning of way high end.
At this point I don't plan on falling down this rabbit hole. Kind of just want to have one 1911 just because. Keep feeding me information and I'll let you know what I end up doing. This one looks kind of nice.
http://www.nighthawkcustom.com/pistols/turnbull-vip-1
Thanks again,
Jeff
Gil S
PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2017 2:32 pm  Reply with quote

Like has been said, there are a bunch of great choices in 1911's out there. Kimber has a fine reputation. Another one to consider is the one by Ithaca. Ithaca was a contractor during WWII and made them for military. I had one at one time, GI issue.
The present Ithaca makes several models and it is a quality made weapon, made in Upper Sandusky, Ohio.
http://www.ithacagun.com/1911.php
Cheyenne08
PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2017 4:27 pm  Reply with quote

I realize this is about "what 1911?". I understand that, I do understand English.
I have a couple 1911's , plus an FNP -45, and Sig 220 Elite, all .45ACP.

They are all nice pistols and good shooters.

I PREFER my CZ-75 9mm to them all, fitted with VZ custom grips, it , in my hands, out shoots them all with less recoil, and equal or better reliability with all types of ammo, be it factory or handloads.

The capacity is 13 rounds, which is equaled by the FNP-45, but not in the 1911's or SIG.

Take down and cleaning of the CZ is super easy, a big selling point for me.

If money means anything to you, the 9mm is much more affordable for a "Toy" at the range, plus you will probably out shoot most of your 1911 buddies.

Also, CZ customer service is top notch, no BS, and willing to go the extra mile for their customers, this is a very important aspect to me.

Dale

...Andrew Jackson...
JNW
PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2017 7:42 pm  Reply with quote

Thanks for more replies. I do understand there are other more practical guns out there. If I just want accuracy and ease of shooting I have several .22 target pistols, including a S&W 41 with an Ultra Dot on it. I have a Walther PPS 9mm for serious carry and a Glock 34 Gen 4 that holds 17 rounds, is uber reliable and I like shooting it a lot. My Taurus 92 is a nice, big pistol that eats recoil and has also proven its reliability. The CZ is a world class pistol, but I've got the hi cap 9mm area covered. I have had a few CZ rifles and you're right - their quality and customer service is outstanding.
I want a 1911 in .45 ACP just because. Given my current skill set I would not consider a single action pistol with a safety as a self defense gun, but it sounds like fun to play with. I'm making a list of other possibles and will try to handle some this week.
Regards,
Jeff
Atepac
PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2017 8:28 pm  Reply with quote

Jeff do keep us posted with your choice and how you like it. I myself am in the market for a reliable usable "compact" (commander size) 1911. Its fun window shopping for sure!

cowdoc87
PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2017 6:17 am  Reply with quote

http://www.gunsinternational.com/guns-for-sale-online/pistols/1911-pistols/singer-mfg-co-colt-u-s-mdl-1911-a1-ser-s8000157-cal-45acp-sold-.cfm?gun_id=100794268
Just what you"re looking for!

cowdoc87
PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2017 6:17 am  Reply with quote

deleted duplicate post

Last edited by cowdoc87 on Tue Jan 31, 2017 8:12 am; edited 1 time in total

Troop10
PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2017 6:56 am  Reply with quote

If you are looking for a plinker in a 1911 style and want to save a few bucks check out the Rock Island Armory models in 9mm. Yes, I know, I would have never bought one either until a friend picked up the tactical 1911 in 9mm. The gun is an absolute tack driver and it runs great. Since he purchased that gun, I have had three additional friends pick one up and they love them. I'm a range officer for my department and the other purchasers are also range officers. These guns have been shot hard and they keep running. For the price Rock Islands are really hard to beat. Again, there are a thousand other models to choose from with various price points but if you are on a tight budget then this may be one to look at. Good luck on your selection.
Ruff Hunter
PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2017 10:48 am  Reply with quote

I think Dan Wesson's series of 1911s are very nice and reasonably priced..

16Ga BRNO
20Ga LC Smith
20Ga Miroku x2 (Model F & Model 500)
28Ga AYA 4/53 (bucket list item #6)
Two Barrels
PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2017 3:33 pm  Reply with quote

If you have not already done so, go check out and do some reading on the 1911 forum. You will find tons of information there on all different makes and styles, both positive and negative.

I have two 1911s. The first one I purchased was a Kimber Tactical Custom HD II in 45. I bought it because of the features and steel frame. My second was the Springfield Range Officer in 9 MM. They both are ultra reliable and a joy to shoot. For strictly a "range toy" as you mentioned, I would definitely be sure to get a pistol with a steel frame over aluminum.

Springfield has a great reputation for customer service. I have not had to use it from them or Kimber.

For some reason, I have a "need" for a 38 Super.
Roper
PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2017 4:44 pm  Reply with quote

Can you guess what my suggestion might be? The Stainless was my Fathers. My lovely wife bought me a 9MM in the same model. I popped for the Ultra Carry. The 9 is slightly heavier due to barrel thickness, but not an issue. Both full size guns are tack drivers. The Ultra is a bit more challenging, but cocked and locked on my hip is reassuring.

JNW
PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2017 7:14 pm  Reply with quote

Thanks for more information. I have spent a lot of time on the 1911 forum, talking to friends, handling guns in gun shops and shooting some guns. Got to shoot an STI Apiero last night.
https://stiguns.com/guns/apeiro/
Just shot 15 rounds at 21 feet. Put 14 in 1 ragged hole in the center of the bullseye and pulled one 2" off. Easiest shooting center fire pistol I've ever shot. Also the most attractive! I am at this point looking real hard at two pistols. The STI Trojan, their entry level single stack, or a Springfield stainless Range Officer. I am going to get a 9mm as ammo is inexpensive, plentiful and the guns are easy to shoot. The CRP guns from Dawson Precision look like especially good deals. I want a mag well, in part because it makes the guns easier for me to shoot. Still piling up my spare change.
It really does sound like the RIA and Springfield guns are excellent values. Shopping is fun!
Jeff

Last edited by JNW on Fri Feb 10, 2017 7:58 pm; edited 1 time in total
Savage16
PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2017 8:56 am  Reply with quote

In a 1911, I'm thinking of going the other direction, caliber wise. Anyone have any hunting experience with the 10MM?

Atepac
PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2017 11:52 am  Reply with quote

Bought mine today.... Wont get it till at least Thursday of next week (paperwork and shipping). Post pics when it arrives. I am excited!

JNW
PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2017 10:17 pm  Reply with quote

What did you end up buying? I've added Dan Wesson to the list and going to look at some this Wednesday.