16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Ammunition & Reloading  ~  Powder charge reminder
WyoChukar
PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2017 2:54 pm  Reply with quote

Most folks here who reload know this but not everyone will. Manuals warn us to use a scale to the check actual weight of powder charges dropped. What they don't say is this: with each stage/ cycle the press goes through the vibrations shake more powder into the bushing or cavity (isn't gravity wonderful). This is why single stage presses throw heavier charges with the same bushing than progressive units. The degree varies with bushing size and powder density/ coarseness but is worth noting.

I post this since there are a lot of new comers to the art of reloading who view our site and they should remember to also measure the charge during actual use of the press rather than merely sliding the bar when things are undisturbed. Also, don't use the first charge after filling or tipping the bottles back into position since this charge will not be "naturally settled" into the bushing as in normal use.

Happy loading.

Last edited by WyoChukar on Sat Feb 11, 2017 9:38 pm; edited 1 time in total

jswanson
PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2017 4:09 pm  Reply with quote

I think you mean Progressive presses throw heaver charges. Typo I believe.

Joe

Riflemeister
PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2017 5:28 pm  Reply with quote

Seems like the single stage would throw heavier charges for a given size bushing in that there is more shaking and vibration as the shell goes from stage to stage where the progressive throws a charge every stroke of the handle.

kennedy756
PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2017 6:14 pm  Reply with quote

my first round always weights heavy in a reloading session, so I empty the powder back into the hopper and redo.

16ga Browning A-5 1929
16ga Marlin 90 1939
16ga browning citori lightning grade 3 2003
16ga Francisque Darne 1920
WyoChukar
PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2017 7:06 pm  Reply with quote

No typo. There is basically no jostling of the powder, bottle, or press in between each charge. The bar slides over to the powder side, the bushing fills and then drops the powder on the way back each cycle with no slack time to hold powder during other operations like occurs with a single stage.

Dogchaser37
PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2017 7:34 pm  Reply with quote

Wyo,

I think you made a wording mistake in your original post. You might want to take a look see.

putz463
PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2017 3:48 am  Reply with quote

Good topic WC, I can share what I do to simplify the issue. When changing a bar or setting up a new one (I'm all in on Universal Bars) I dry cycle the handle on the press (600's & Sizemasters here) 5 times mimicking a full reload cycle. Doing this helps dial in an in process powder drop very quickly.

And yes, agree, the first drops of a press that has been sitting for a while get recycled before making finished shells. Especially if I've been reloading on the other presses nearby.

Twisted Evil 's in the details Very Happy

16gaDavis
PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2017 6:07 am  Reply with quote

Used to let the press drop my 410 loads , but was easy to get variance . learned to do what Putzie said , go thru the cyle , then tap the bar 3 times b4 dropping the powder . Was MUCH better . Always got a max , even drop . Use a scoop now .

MaximumSmoke
PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2017 8:51 am  Reply with quote

I thought I was the only one OCD enough to have been doing exactly as Putz463 has described. . . . . Me and Putz, we're just nutz! Anyway, try it, it works pretty well.
double vision
PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2017 9:59 am  Reply with quote

I do the same thing with my single state presses. Might as well mimic the process!
Little Creek
PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2017 5:23 pm  Reply with quote

I use three MEC 600 Jr presses made before 1982. They all produce good loads, including 2-1/2" and 2-5/8" 16 gauge. The first drop of powder is always heavy. I just dump the powder in the hopper and start over. The second and continuing loads are thrown accurately, with little variation. That said, the MEC bushings/chart is not very accurate on any of my loaders. I tend to use bigger bushings to get the load called for.
WyoChukar
PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2017 9:39 pm  Reply with quote

Dogchaser37 wrote:
Wyo,

I think you made a wording mistake in your original post. You might want to take a look see.

Fixed it! As much editing as I have done you would think I would have caught that one! Single vs. single?! Rolling Eyes

Dave In AZ
PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2017 12:21 pm  Reply with quote

I was going to quote that single/single thing for you, but decided you'd find it by and by... it's always risky to correct an error, some guys just have no humor when they post a typo.

The other day, some guy at SGW posted he was using 22gr or Red Dot, then when questioned about his recipe he posted a pic of the Lyman's book page saying, "There it is in print!"... but the book said Green Dot! Well, I thought that was just classic and quite funny, it was his auto-spell that inserted "Red", but still funny-- guy gets affronted his adherence to recipe is questioned then posts a pic showing he's using the wrong powder as proof? I don't care who you are, that should be funny right there! Wink Well of course he was insulted I found it funny... so, no good correction goes unpunished I guess.

If we were a bunch of guys having a beer after a hunt, most of the things folks get upset about on the internet would just be taken in stride as gentle ribbing or humor... but dry humor or irony just don't convey via type, so much drama comes from keyboard words being taken so seriously.

Anyways, good post to help guys with the basic processes!
Best regards,
Dave
WyoChukar
PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2017 9:16 am  Reply with quote

Agreed. Delivery of humor, sarcasm, etc. can be difficult in type, something we may lose altogether as we plunge deeper into the age of "texting".