16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  Small Munsterlander
Hootch
PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2017 7:30 am  Reply with quote

As I reported on this forum a month ago, my 9year old St Usuge Spaniel passed away.
Well, I brought home a 1 year old Small Munsterlander yesterday.

Handful right now getting used to everything, but very pretty, gets along well with everyone, but onery.

She won't replace my Yasha, but will help me get over her somewhat, and I will have dog to train this spring and summer and one to hunt in the fall.
Ray-citori
PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2017 7:33 am  Reply with quote

Best cure for losing the last one is the love of the next one. Congrats on the new pooch. Pictures?
jswanson
PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2017 7:36 am  Reply with quote

I've been where you are the absolutely correct move. Congrats. Joe

JNW
PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2017 8:30 am  Reply with quote

I've been considering a small munsterlander for my next dog. Let us know what you think.
Jeff
Savage16
PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2017 8:48 am  Reply with quote

Good for you Hootch. You're in rare company as I've been told that only about 150 SM pups are born in the US each year. Great looking dogs!

double vision
PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2017 8:51 am  Reply with quote

I'v been a wirehair/drahthaar guy for 22 years now, but the SM is on a short list if I were ever to switch. Nice dogs!
Hootch
PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2017 6:16 pm  Reply with quote

I had a Small Munsterlander before my St Usuge, bought her in '95, she lived 14 1/2 years, she was great dog, lost 3 birds her entire life.

I went to the St usuge because they were supposed to hunt closer than even the Munster and much of same characteristics, and that was spot on.

Big paws to fill, but this dog is intelligent, and settling in nicely already.
3drahthaars
PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2017 6:38 pm  Reply with quote

Dave Erickson wrote:
I'v been a wirehair/drahthaar guy for 22 years now, but the SM is on a short list if I were ever to switch. Nice dogs!

I'm a DD guy, and I've seen and judged some KMLs and was impressed.

I also know several DD guys (big chucker hunters) that think the same as you.

It's a highly under rated breed over here but catching on.

3ds
JonP
PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2017 9:17 pm  Reply with quote

Super dogs and popularity hasn't caused a breeding explosion. If I didn't have DD, I'd own a KLM. They are capable way beyond their size.
pbr streetgang
PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2017 5:01 am  Reply with quote

As one of the only SM owners down here in south Florida and having owned numerous other types of field dogs I can personally attest that they are by far one the best well kept secret versatile hunting dog to have.
I can go from waterfowl, to quail, to rabbit in one day at the same hunting grounds and not skip a beat. Bella, my five year old SM is the absolutely best dog ever. They were on my radar for a long time and after much deliberation I finally pulled the trigger. I could give a long dissertation on them but I won't. But I will say this, for me and for my wants and needs, I'll never own any other type of dog again except for a small munsterlander.
And to boot.....their is no other perfect combination than a small munsterlander and a sixteen gauge. A sweet sixteen in particular. The two are made for each other. Just look at the 16ga home page photo and you'll get the idea.
If anyone needs a personal testimony on a SM......

pudelpointer
PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2017 7:34 am  Reply with quote

A very close friend of mine has a 7 month old SM. I have been training him he is smart as a whip learns things extremely fast has decent talent and a good nose. He will make a fine gun dog especially if you pair him with a Setter that runs big. He really has a lot of self control and discipline it worried me at first because he didn't lose his mind and go bird crazy when we got the pigeons out of the coupe. My crew loses there minds when birds are brought out. I hunted him the other week on some late season grouse his search is good and thorough not wide ranging at this point but he is just a pup. I wouldn't hesitate to own one but like most of you I have my favorites. The combination of my Pudelpointer for close work and ducks and my setters to scour every inch of cover I have it made for my type of hunting. The PP points more Woodcock than the setters but they find more Grouse. I run them together and it works for me. The setters love to duck hunt too but hiding a white dog is tough.
JonP
PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2017 8:32 pm  Reply with quote

There's is quite a list of requirements before a SM can be used for breeding. One of themis that a dog must be loud on sight or scent. SMs are prized for their toughness and are often used to drive big game to the gun in Germany (called a Drückjagd). They are also used as many German versatiles are to blood track and locate wounded big game. Super little dogs with grit.
WyoChukar
PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2017 11:11 am  Reply with quote

No pic yet? I will be honest, it is not a breed I ever recall seeing in my neck of the country. I am sure somebody has one, I just haven't run into them yet. I haven't even view many pictures of one and am curious to see a photo of yours. Other's are likely wanting to see it too.

JNW
PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2017 7:25 pm  Reply with quote

Think small springer without a docked tail.
Jeff
WyoChukar
PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2017 11:00 pm  Reply with quote

Do they ever have coloration like a Brittany? I knew a couple who had such a dog and we assumed Brittany with a full tail or Brittany/ Setter cross back then.