16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Ammunition & Reloading  ~  BPI 16 ga Manual ?
TripleH
PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2017 12:05 pm  Reply with quote

Still in the process of educating myself as much as I can re: reloading for the 16.

Anyone own this particular book and/or have any feedback on it?

Right now I own and have read Lyman's 5th, and scour this site and a few others to try and learn what I can. I've compiled info from the yahoo group, powder websites, etc. into a single sheet format I find easy to use, so have literally thousands of recipes more than I'll ever dream of using.

So with all of that info already at hand i was wondering if it is worth the investment or if it largely covers information I already likely have for the most part?

Thanks in advance for any feedback.

Rob
jschultz
PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2017 12:39 pm  Reply with quote

I have had the manual for many years and have not used any of the recipes. If memory serves me, most of the loads seem over the top as in more pressure, velocity and pay load than I want to put through my side lock.
AmericanMeet
PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2017 1:39 pm  Reply with quote

While the load data in the BPI manual generally exceeds the load data in the Lyman and other manuals, I find my greatest disappointment in it is that the loads generally include items (wads, primers, and some hulls) that are marketed through BPI. while this is not bad, it means that most of "my stuff" is not included in their data; which means that I generally use data from elsewhere for loading- which means, the manual is pretty much useless to me.
number1wrench
PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2017 1:45 pm  Reply with quote

The current edition was updated in 2015 I believe. Good source of 16ga. Nontoxic shot loads. For the difference if you do not already have the newest edition of BPI's Advantages manual that would be my recommendation as all the 16ga. loads are in there. Also from ballisticproducts.com homepage go to "Load of the Week" archives for numerous 16ga. Recipe and articles. If you are accumulating 16ga. data it is a good choice although I know you will find, just as some of the recipes here that many discontinued powders are listed which really impacts 16ga. recipe's.
df
PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2017 1:54 pm  Reply with quote

I bought one a few years ago, as I live 15 miles from BPI. I found that the manuals intent seems to be to maximize the number of components used in a load and the stack height is way off. I have not opened it in a long time.
BigCreekMI
PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2017 4:21 pm  Reply with quote

If you use their wads, you should probably own their manual. I own a lot of reloading references; both old and new. I also like Wolfe Load Data. Com. Gives instant access to most published data.

RLR390
PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2017 7:20 pm  Reply with quote

I don't have the 2015 version but have the 1st printing and don't think I have used 1 recipe out of it. I use their wads periodically in loads published in the manuals put out by the powder companies. Save your money IMO.
TripleH
PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2017 5:49 am  Reply with quote

Thanks all for your thoughts, seems fairly unanimous.
putz463
PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2017 6:03 am  Reply with quote

PM sent.

scraggley
PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2017 6:12 am  Reply with quote

I do use some BP wads and they are my source for primed shotshells . In addition to the many other loading references I use, I have their 16 ga . manual and have used some of the data in it. What the heck in this day and age really is $16.95 going to break any ones bank ?

Art

Murdock
PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2017 7:41 am  Reply with quote

I too am just beginning to educate myself on loading the 16. Having read this thread it seems that the BP manual gets a solid "meh."

Is there a single source that any of you find you go to, other than the BP manual? Or is it that most of you have found one or two loads you are happy with and let things go at that, with no perceived need for lots of data and continuing research?

Ithaca M37 16
Krieghof Sempert Drilling 16x16/8x57
1925 Browning A5 16 CYL
gjw
PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2017 9:16 am  Reply with quote

Hi, I have the BPI manual, IMO, it's pretty useless. It does have some good info other than the load recipes.

I would suggest you join the Yahoo 16ga Reloading Group. Very good site, one of the best. Tons of recipes that include all manner of hulls, powder, wads etc. The loads are proven and tested with the source of where the info comes from. It's also free. Here's the link:

https://uk.groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/reloading16gauge/info

Good luck!

Greg

Dogchaser37
PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2017 11:59 am  Reply with quote

Most of you folks know that I don't think much of BPI. I bought their 16 Ga. manual years ago. It was full of loads that used components that there was no reason for adding to a load ........the most prevalent were overshot wads in an unbuffered, fold crimped lead shot load. For what reason I have no idea.........back then they sold mostly Fiocchi hulls and I was never all that keen about using Fiocchi hulls..........that manual went in the garbage the same day I received it.

3birddogs
PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 8:42 am  Reply with quote

What AmericanMeet said. Totally agree. I have yet to try any of the load of the week listings, as are generaaly much "hotter" than what I want to shoot thru my vintage doubles--but I do order components from them from time to time.

16gaDavis
PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 11:17 am  Reply with quote

I ordered my manual over 20 yrs ago and still haven't got it !! however , I do peruse the load of the week stuff , and as I lean toward 28 more heavily than 16 , I do like some stuff . I DO like the fact they data their stuff . Until recently , that was kinda the only place to see some . Lately though , Hodgdons has used their 28ga wads in their series of data . So at least one can compare somewhat .( still can't fathom a 16ga load with 50 grns of ANY powder though !)