16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  turning the switch on or off with your dog
goathoof
PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2017 9:59 am  Reply with quote

For those of you with hunting dogs, how do you turn off the hunting behavior of the dog if you just want to take a stroll? For example, you take your shotgun or rifle with you when you go walk the dog, but you are not hunting, just getting exercise. And conversely, how do you get your dog in hunting mode when the dog has been doing predominately non-hunting walks? I am curious about this because of the recent posts about such instinctive, super hunting dogs. Thanks, stan
Savage16
PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2017 10:10 am  Reply with quote

I don't know if what you are expecting is possible. Even my 10 mth old pup knows what the guns are. My 13 yr old EC keeps herself between me and the door as soon as I get a gun out. I'm guessing I'd be visited by the police if I took a shotgun along while walking the dogs, but then I live in a city Wink

jswanson
PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2017 10:11 am  Reply with quote

By accident I avoided this problem with my first dog and each one after. Going hunting ,BELL the Dog , they will associate the Bell with hunting. No games just business and the most fun they know. No Bell just another ho hum walk gun or not.
Works for my Britts anyway.

Joe

tramroad28
PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2017 10:14 am  Reply with quote

Apart from youthful exuberance(the dog's), the dog knows or you request that they do not cut up.

One does likes to see a bit of keeness re dickybirds and such and I would see no reason to tote a scattergun on a walk but....most birddogs appear to know when the time is Go. Could be bells, et al.
Mine even get a bit keen when a gravel road rumbles.

Birddogs learn..... just as we do.
We help them learn by what we teach and what we do and what we expect.
Birddogs want to please us
mtbirder
PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2017 10:18 am  Reply with quote

You could get a thousand responses from a thousand well meaning "I gotta hunting dog so according to me...." guys so be prepared.

My personal experience & a few random thoughts (I'll let others give advise):

The dogs training applies to this immensely. If they don't know you're the boss - good luck.
I love my dogs. They know that. We work together real well -hunting or no.
Some intense hunters will always be hunting, no matter what you do with 'em. Seen some English Pointers run and search 12 miles on a 1.5 mile trail walk.
I have gundogs, I want them to "always be hunting" - even at play time.
I have settled on my Grifs - they both innately have that switch you are talking about, they came that way from the factory.
Did I say, lots depends on the breed??
With males- my experience - intact sack, can't hold 'em back.
All said and done - goddam I love huntin dawgs.
goathoof
PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2017 10:21 am  Reply with quote

I like the bell idea. I live out in the middle of nowhere and take a long gun for my dogs's protection. I have had coyotes go after her, and we have cougars out and about.
Dogchaser37
PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2017 11:50 am  Reply with quote

I don't ever take my dogs out for a stroll when I have a shotgun with me. If I have a shotgun we are bird hunting and they know it.

I have had Britts and GSPs and neither breed ever showed me an off switch especially my Shorthairs. They are wired for go 24/7.

Good luck with your off switch.

mtbirder
PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2017 12:09 pm  Reply with quote

I somehow missed the part of goathoof's post mentioning the armed hiking.
pore reeding compreehentshun.
Gotta agree with dogchaser.
My girls know what the smell/sight of the Superlite Feather means. It ain't a walk in the park.
Riflemeister
PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2017 12:48 pm  Reply with quote

My two big male shorthairs are hunting for something the second they are let out of the kennel. It can be squirrels, grasshoppers, the neighbor's cat or even quail on occasion around here, but they ARE hunting, it's in their DNA. Now when I have my hunting clothes on, load them into their crates in the back of the truck, drive for a while, stop and collar them up, their hunting instincts kick into overdrive. They whine and shiver like they have chills until I blow the whistle to cut them loose and then they are the happiest dogs on the planet. It's what they live for. I'm with Dogchaser on the GSP's, there is no off switch.

jschultz
PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2017 12:53 pm  Reply with quote

Unless we are traveling, all of our walks are done on the ranch and I’m often armed. Annie is in hunt mode all of the time unless I have her at heel. She is the worst heeler that I have ever had and cannot stay in the position for more than a few second before a correction is required. The problem is her nose as she follows any and all intriguing, to her scent. When not on heel, she works close, responds to all whistle, hand and voice commands. When on point I approach her and tell her she's a good girl she. I then flush the bird(s) just as if we are hunting.
when I'm running her for exercise off season she gets between 2-6 miles a day while I ride a dirt bike or a 4 wheeler.

Gil S
PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2017 2:36 pm  Reply with quote

L-E-A-S-H...
JonP
PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2017 3:33 pm  Reply with quote

Over time, dogs equate certain stimuli with certain activities. Grab a lead and go for a walk is different than putting the vest in the truck (scent), grabbing the gun (scent and sight) and crating them up (routine). Its the same reason dogs know what attitude to adopt when you are hunting phez as opposed to waiting on ducks. Give them enough experience in any situation(s) and they adopt the proper behavior...if they are stable and well balanced.
goathoof
PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2017 4:33 pm  Reply with quote

All good insight and advice!
Riflemeister
PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2017 6:16 pm  Reply with quote

Hmmm, stable and well balanced. That's a novel idea for a GSP.

mtbirder
PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2017 6:32 pm  Reply with quote

Riflemeister wrote:
Hmmm, stable and well balanced. That's a novel idea for a GSP.

laughin...

Knew a GSP once upon a time named Exocet. I believe he actually covered territory a little quicker than his name sake.