16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  "Is Hunting a Sport?"
BarkeyVA
PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2017 8:47 am  Reply with quote

This article in Sporting Classics Daily questioning whether hunting is a sport is definitely thought provoking. Although written in the context of big game hunting, I think it would also apply to upland hunting.

When folks ask me what I do for fun, I mention that I enjoy shooting "sports" like skeet, sporting clays, wobble trap, etc., and target shooting. I generally add that I also enjoy fishing and upland bird and water fowl hunting, that might imply that I think hunting is also sport. Although I have never thought about it until now, I agree with the author that hunting should not be considered "sport."

What do the rest of you think? Is hunting a sport? http://sportingclassicsdaily.com/is-hunting-a-sport/

mtbirder
PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2017 8:52 am  Reply with quote

Unequivocally NO
BigCreekMI
PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2017 8:59 am  Reply with quote

First thought is "sport" implies some sort of person vs person or team v team competition. Then there are things like mountain climbing, jogging, etc. Still, hunting & fishing don't strike me as being "sports".

Cheyenne08
PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2017 9:00 am  Reply with quote

Well, that is a good question. I believe shooting clays in any form to be a "sport".
Hunting to me though, is a way of life, as there is no real way to analyze how well you did.

The outcome of hunting is not determined by anyone other than the person doing the hunting. It is something you want to do, whether you do it better than anyone else doesn't make a difference, just the feeling you get at the end of the day.

I may not have expressed this very well, but hunting is way more than a "sport".

Dale

...Andrew Jackson...
BigCreekMI
PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2017 9:03 am  Reply with quote

Delete double post

Last edited by BigCreekMI on Tue Feb 14, 2017 11:50 am; edited 1 time in total

tramroad28
PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2017 9:37 am  Reply with quote

Is upland hunting a sport?....sure, when compared to subsistence hunting.
Most are not hunting upland game to live.

Is upland hunting a sport re a competition aspect?....sure, it can be.
There are aspects of competition, informal competition, when hunting upland species such as dove and, sadly, with the ruffed grouse in a RGS event....supposed good intentions notwithstanding.

Is upland hunting an activity requiring a measure of athletic prowess and developed skill with tools?....sure X3, to the degree necessary to be both successful and ethical in the process.

Not sure why the term "sport" re upland hunting is ever considered a negative.
The positives surrounding it, such as support for diverse Habitat/timber age classes and for many species, upland game and not, has long been clear.
Granted, upland hunting can be misunderstood by that percentage of the Public never exposed to it or to the above positives but that applies to folks not understanding or appreciating many things which they were never exposed to in other than a negative light or a cursory fashion.

It is particularly odd to me to hear a deer hunter, for example, speak of great moral values when, today, they have been the sport which has been particularly selfish in the negatives they occasion by their own passion.....from increased nest predators, baiting on a time clock 365/7 and the mantra of Locate, Lease & Lock Up to name just a few and then on to the reality of sucking away attention, will and dollars from many DNRs, if a critter does not grow antlers or gobble.
Spare me the big game deer hunter chatter re respected quarry and spiritual partnership(good grief) when the evidence at present over my area of the country indicates just the opposite if apart from their own preference.

I wonder what Aldo would think of deer hunting today.
I reckon not much as Mr. Leopold saw when he looked.
Sportsmen-Conservationist is a moniker applied far too widely and inaccurately these days, to me.
Be nice to read more articles that honestly note and address when "sport" hunting passion gigs other critters, again game and not, along with habitat right smack in the short ribs.
'Course, that will not happen as so many believe that any actions afield when ranked as Legal are all that matter, one should never speak ill of a fellow hunter and we must all stand together.
Too sad, all of those.
IF, more matters than the individual.
We do need another Aldo Leopold....I wonder tho if many would agree with a man who honestly saw and who noted missteps or, especially,...... noted that "fierce, green fire."

Last edited by tramroad28 on Tue Feb 14, 2017 9:40 am; edited 2 times in total
cowdoc87
PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2017 9:38 am  Reply with quote

No. And the "whack'em and stack'em"and hi-fiving on some TV hunting shows really bothers me. A sacrilege IMO. But I'm old.

fn16ga
PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2017 9:45 am  Reply with quote

Really ! I have heard this question many times . Who cares how you categorize it . It's a life style , its fun and I like it . Call what you want.

Last edited by fn16ga on Tue Feb 14, 2017 9:53 am; edited 1 time in total
mtbirder
PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2017 9:48 am  Reply with quote

We do need another Aldo Leopold....I wonder tho if many would agree with a man who honestly saw and who noted missteps or, especially,...... noted that "fierce, green fire."

Yes we do and no probably not, especially in the "sportsmen" world. Because so many of these sportsmen are enamored with the 2'nd amendment over and above ALL other things.
cowdoc87
PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2017 10:10 am  Reply with quote

In many other hunting forums, the question would be shouted down, the poster ridiculed and belittled. Another reason to appreciate this little gathering

rkittine
PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2017 10:10 am  Reply with quote

There is competition in Live Bird Shooting, Big Game Fishing etc. So I guess some parts of hunting may be considered a "Sport" Sure that the "Game" we hunt, do not see it all that "Sporting" unless we give them the chance to hunt back! Razz

Bob

16 Gauge O/U Browning 525 Sporting
16 Gauge SxS Rizzini Islide
16 Gauge Pump Browning BPS Upland
16 Gauge Semi-Auto Remington 1100 Sporting
Ron Overberg
PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2017 11:07 am  Reply with quote

I like fn16ga and his outlook. The only thing I can add is being older and living a pretty simple retirement I find great pleasure in not having to explain my life style choices to anyone and at the same time I don't feel the need to seek justification or even an explanation from my fellow hunters. Call hunting what one may, it is fun and rewarding to me. The meals provided are pretty good also. I also don't consider Curling a sport, but that is a discussion for another time.

Simply,
Ron
gunut
PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2017 11:54 am  Reply with quote

I don't care what you call it....but I don't like the have to limit out attitude of some...I enjoy being outside, enjoy the birds, and if I am in the mood for a wild game meal I might pull the trigger.....otherwise I feel just as fulfilled coming home with my game vest empty......... Smile

Cold Iron
PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2017 11:54 am  Reply with quote

Ron Overberg wrote:
I also don't consider Curling a sport, but that is a discussion for another time.

Hey now no need to get personal, Wi. takes Curling very seriously and the Centerville Curling Club is pretty close to Dave Erickson's place Very Happy Just saying....

Couple of years ago developed degenerative arthritis in my left ankle which is now spreading to other parts of my body. Kind of hard to bird hunt when you can hardly walk. Mayo Clinic told me there is really not much they can do for it except for a brace which did nothing. So had my primary care physician refer me to Mayo Clinic Sports Medicine on a long shot.

Took me 3 phone calls to get in. The admin assistant wanted to know what sports I played. I said hunting with the dog and she seemed confused and said that didn't qualify. EXOS and Mayo Sports Med is one of the top places in the world and works with pro athletes, special forces, etc. And I work at Mayo LOL but they wouldn't see me because I didn't currently play a "sport". Third time was a charm and I got smarter finally. Told them I couldn't play golf anymore and got in. Only golf I have played in last 20 years is to roll old golf balls down the rib of my barrels flip them in the air and shoot them. And slice them with bird shot as well as I do with a driver. But apparently it is a sport.

They have helped a lot with custom orthotics to prevent bone on bone grinding in the ankle. And guided cortisone shots. But guess according to the world at large hunting is not a sport.
gunsrus
PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2017 11:58 am  Reply with quote

cowdoc87 wrote:
No. And the "whack'em and stack'em"and hi-fiving on some TV hunting shows really bothers me. A sacrilege IMO. But I'm old.

^
This